Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 20:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you trade?  (Read 1009 times)
blitzburghisback
N00b

« on: Mar 12, 2010 at 10:02 »

Our 1st & 3rd round picks + Limas Sweed to New England for picks 44,47, & 53? The breakdown would be the Patriots receiving Sweed... who could learn from Randy Moss & possibly take over for him when he is gone... + picks totaling 1080 and the Steelers receiving picks totaling 1260. This would give the Steelers 4 picks in the second round. This would put the value of Sweed at 180 points or the equivalent of a mid 3rd round pick.... which I am sure we would not get straight up for Sweed. I think we could come up with a pretty good draft with 4 picks in the second round. Who would you want the Steelers to target in this scenario?
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2010 at 12:12 »

Normally I would, but I think there's a good chance that a real stud will be there at 18. And one great player is worth more to this team than three good players because they already have good players at most positions.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2010 at 12:30 »

Normally I would, but I think there's a good chance that a real stud will be there at 18. And one great player is worth more to this team than three good players because they already have good players at most positions.

I agree. The value may be there but I really want impact talent at one position this year, be it LB, S, CB, OT, or whatever. I'm not a draft expert at all but I'm really hoping for one of the top ILB's to fall to us and be ready to replace Farrior after next season.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2010 at 12:57 »

For me, it would depend on who is there @ 1.18.

A gun to my head for an answer now, I'd probably do the trade.  Great value in those second round picks and I like getting three bites at that apple.  Odds they'd hit on one are excellent; two is pretty good too, IMO.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2010 at 13:02 »

I'll play contrarian.  I think there are lots of R2 guys who aren't far off R1 talent.  I'd take Jared Odrick at 1.18, but Alex Carrington isn't a bad "poor man's" version.  Everyone wants a top CB, but there are several slotted to go R2 that I think could be every bit as good if not better than the guys like Wilson or McCourty.  In other words, if you can get 4 "almost first-rounders" for a R1 and a R3, why not?

Here's my mock, with estimated draft slots and comps:

2.44 - Nate Allen, FS, USF.  All the safety talk is Berry, Thomas, and Mays, but IMO Allen is a smart leader in the backfield, a solid tackler, and should be a smart center fielder.  Underrated.  (Alternate: Morgan Burnett.)
2.47 - Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest.  He's 6'0" and runs a 4.37 40, draws comparisons to Jonathan Joseph, and is also underrated by most mock drafters.  A guy who's close to a R1 talent, IMO.  (Alternates: Amari Spievey, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah.)
2.52 - Alex Carrington, DE, Ark. St.  Steelers selected Arkansas St. TE  David Johnson last year; this year, they select Aaron Smith's understudy.  Carrington is a stout run-stuffer who had a great Senior Bowl week.  (Alternates: Arthur Jones, Clifton Geathers.)
2.53 - Matt Tennant, C, Boston College.  (Alternate: JD Walton.)
(Alternate: Torrell Troup.)
(Alternate: Adrian Tracy, Cameron Sheffield.)
7.243 C - Andrew Tyshovnytsky, OT, Fordham.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
blitzburghisback
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2010 at 14:39 »

I'll play contrarian.  I think there are lots of R2 guys who aren't far off R1 talent.  I'd take Jared Odrick at 1.18, but Alex Carrington isn't a bad "poor man's" version.  Everyone wants a top CB, but there are several slotted to go R2 that I think could be every bit as good if not better than the guys like Wilson or McCourty.  In other words, if you can get 4 "almost first-rounders" for a R1 and a R3, why not?

Here's my mock, with estimated draft slots and comps:

2.44 - Nate Allen, FS, USF.  All the safety talk is Berry, Thomas, and Mays, but IMO Allen is a smart leader in the backfield, a solid tackler, and should be a smart center fielder.  Underrated.  (Alternate: Morgan Burnett.)
2.47 - Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest.  He's 6'0" and runs a 4.37 40, draws comparisons to Jonathan Joseph, and is also underrated by most mock drafters.  A guy who's close to a R1 talent, IMO.  (Alternates: Amari Spievey, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah.)
2.52 - Alex Carrington, DE, Ark. St.  Steelers selected Arkansas St. TE  David Johnson last year; this year, they select Aaron Smith's understudy.  Carrington is a stout run-stuffer who had a great Senior Bowl week.  (Alternates: Arthur Jones, Clifton Geathers.)
2.53 - Matt Tennant, C, Boston College.  (Alternate: JD Walton.)
(Alternate: Torrell Troup.)
(Alternate: Adrian Tracy, Cameron Sheffield.)
7.243 C - Andrew Tyshovnytsky, OT, Fordham.

That would infuse some talent into the secondary and Tennant would be a nice pick I think.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2010 at 18:57 »

You also have to look at the fact that the Steelers usually hit a home run in the first round and usually pick Limas Sweed, Jeremy Staat, Alonzo Jackson, and Scott Shields in the second round.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: