Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 17, 2014 at 13:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Health Care  (Read 2798 times)
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2010 at 07:14 »

"From the perspective of avoiding another Carter administration, and the fascist hell which followed, this is very important indeed."

Heh....not sure I ever heard the 80's referred to as a "fascist hell" before.

Rhetorical overstatement, but not by much.  The 80's were a pretty miserable time culturally speaking, and Reagan gave the Bushies the template for blatantly disregarding the constitution.

Definite rhetoical overstatement.

Culturally how?  And what role does the Constitution prescribe the president playing over cultural issues?

Reagan gave the Bushies a template to disregard the Constitution?  How?  (and let's not kid ourselves here...the Constitution has been blatantly disregarded since the late 1800s.  Some argue it began with Lincoln and suspending Habeas Grabus, er Corpus, but I'll keep the can of worms shut on that debate.  I'm just wondering what template Reagan provided with new ways to disregard the Constitution that differ from Carter's, Nixon's, Johnson's, Kennedy's, Ike's, Truman's, Roosevelt's, etc.) 

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2010 at 09:56 »

Culturally how?  And what role does the Constitution prescribe the president playing over cultural issues?

Did you not notice the "and" in the original sentence?  It's a word often used to link two separate ideas.

Reagan gave the Bushies a template to disregard the Constitution?  How?  (and let's not kid ourselves here...the Constitution has been blatantly disregarded since the late 1800s.  Some argue it began with Lincoln and suspending Habeas Grabus, er Corpus, but I'll keep the can of worms shut on that debate.  I'm just wondering what template Reagan provided with new ways to disregard the Constitution that differ from Carter's, Nixon's, Johnson's, Kennedy's, Ike's, Truman's, Roosevelt's, etc.)  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2010 at 10:14 »

Also, I have to agree with Biden that this bill is a fucking big deal.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2010 at 11:26 »

Culturally how?  And what role does the Constitution prescribe the president playing over cultural issues?

Did you not notice the "and" in the original sentence?  It's a word often used to link two separate ideas.

Reagan gave the Bushies a template to disregard the Constitution?  How?  (and let's not kid ourselves here...the Constitution has been blatantly disregarded since the late 1800s.  Some argue it began with Lincoln and suspending Habeas Grabus, er Corpus, but I'll keep the can of worms shut on that debate.  I'm just wondering what template Reagan provided with new ways to disregard the Constitution that differ from Carter's, Nixon's, Johnson's, Kennedy's, Ike's, Truman's, Roosevelt's, etc.)  

Familiar with what "and" means.  Thanks though.

No other president controlled the courts like Reagan did?  FDR?

Illegal foreign policy?  Reagan is the greatest transgressor here? 

The War on Drugs was such an attack on civil liberties that Clinton made the "drug czar" a cabinet position in his first year in office.

FYI:  I'm not a Reagan worshipper.  I'm not part of the movement to put his face on currency, or to carve it on a mountainside.  I'm just curious as to why you hold these seemingly harsh opinions of him when there seem to be others at whom it could be at least partially directed.

--Lou Brock
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2010 at 11:33 »

Damn straight it's a big fucking deal.  More Americans now have coverage, insurance companies cannot cancel those troublesome people who file claims, kids can be covered into their 20's.  Yeah, it's a big deal.  My only concern is that it may not go far enough to thwacking the insurance industry, but I'll have to wait and see.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2010 at 12:00 »

No other president controlled the courts like Reagan did?  FDR?Quote
Illegal foreign policy?  Reagan is the greatest transgressor here?  

Well, no, W. Bush is, but then he had a fine teacher in his daddy, what with all that running money to the Iranis to keep them hostages just a few... months... more.  

The War on Drugs was such an attack on civil liberties that Clinton made the "drug czar" a cabinet position in his first year in office.Quote
I'm just curious as to why you hold these seemingly harsh opinions of him when there seem to be others at whom it could be at least partially directed.
some semblance of coherent policy, love it or hate it.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2010 at 12:18 »

OK, I'm not gonna wade into this latest penso-bamf slugfest except to say that the view looking back at Reagan depends on where you're standing.  What about after 8 years of Clinton vs after 8 years of Dubya? 

Can we blame Reagan for laying the groundwork that would ultimately make it possible to elect a buffoon like Dubya?  Yup.  (Don't even talk to me about how the bastard got reelected.) 

For making it possible to blur the lines between fascism and patriotism?  There used to be a difference in our great country.  For ultimately reducing the civility of our congress and making it possible to elect the lunatic fringe as our representatives?  For said fringe then crying out "Baby killer!" and "Liar!"  For the general mean-spirited stance of the GOP?  For hateful and vile groups like the tea baggers to be taken seriously by some?

Eight years of Clinton left me undecided but after 8 years of Dubya I'd have to say yes:  The Raygun presidency looks worse the further away we get.

On the other hand, this health care thing is something that should make Americans feel proud and happy.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2010 at 13:57 »

I would not have voted for the health care bill that was passed Sunday.  However, I am not against reform.  I have yet to hear him say it live, but I've been told that Hannity has referred to U.S. health care as "the best health care system in the world."  For that he should be slugged.

I'm sure everyone has a story of someone they know and love being tormented by the health care debacle in the United States.  My sister worked for Yellow Book in eastern PA.  They didn't provide health benefits until after working there for one year.  Four months into her employment she was doing yoga and thought she had an acorn under her yoga mat.  It was a tumor in her stomach.  Three months later my mother found her in the fetal position in her bedroom in a cold sweat.  The tumor grew to 22 pounds.  On the way to the hospital she said sarcastically to my mother, "only a couple months."

My brother was in college, and on my father's insurance plan when he was life-flighted.  My father got a bill for over 15 grand because the helicopter wasn't approved by the insurance company beforehand.

THIS is the best health care system in the world?!  My problem is that health care reform didn't begin with free market principles.  They were included for vanity's sake.  The insurance industry is an abomination, but I think other reforms should have come before what we have now.

And I think the further we get from time periods in history, the clearer our picture of them.  Some argue it takes 25 years to judge a presidency.  Truman looks better the further we get from him.  JFK better as well.  LBJ looks worse.  Nixon better.  Carter worse.  Even though we're less than 25 years from their exit, I find Reagan better, and Clinton better.  It's going to be fun judging W.  There's a big part of me hoping he lives out his remaining years in grace and while enjoying life.  Because he's at an age where in 25 years his legacy may be trashed just as his life is ending.  It's a sad way to go. 

--Lou Brock
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Mar 24, 2010 at 23:13 »

No other president controlled the courts like Reagan did?  FDR?

Barack is an avid ballplayer. Seriously, just bring your cameras out. He'll be there telling jokes and striving to drop "change" on his opponents with his tight shirt neatly tucked into his sweatpants. Like they do in Hawaii.

Also, I have to agree with Biden that this bill is a fucking big deal.

During the Pens-Caps game tonight they replayed some of the Penguins visit to the White House and Biden said the same thing abooot Sidney Crosby being important.

Mike Tomlin told me he plans to unleash fascist hell on all opponents, this season.

Give the man some reputation for that. Tremendous.

Ike's

You guys are like a broken record. How about finding someone else to blame once in a while? It's about teamwork after all.

My only concern is that it may not go far enough to thwacking the insurance industry, but I'll have to wait and see.

I know that's not your only concern. Can't be. Also going to thwack small businesses as well but I'll also have to wait and see

My original point was that the health care bill might help Obama avoid the one-term abortion that was the Carter admin, and the moral majority reaction(aryism) that followed.
It's going to be fun judging W.  There's a big part of me hoping he lives out his remaining years in grace and while enjoying life.
Hey at least one abortion Obama has prevented. Terribly probably the only. Adverbly. Carter ran a slick campaign as did liberal americ...the Obama crew. Let's hope this bill helps to separate them in a positive light.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Mar 24, 2010 at 23:27 »

It's going to be fun judging W.  There's a big part of me hoping he lives out his remaining years in grace and while enjoying life.

W bishes Obama at throwing a baseball.

Don't worry about W he'll be galavanting around Texas shooting boar in the bush, occasionally one of Cheney's buddies in the face "just kiddin", or the general BS (its secret code...means bull shit) with his mates. W will be snorting coke off of one of Josh Hamilton's babes midriff and then telling Chuck Norris to do "some dem karate tricks!".

Easy to make fun of the guy. But at least he got the thing over the plate and didn't bounce it in there like Obama in his ChiSox coat and Saved by the Bell jeans.

Sure it was the best moment of his presidency but it was still balls throwin that steeerike.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: