Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 21, 2014 at 04:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McNabb to 'Skins!?  (Read 1277 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Apr 05, 2010 at 14:03 »

I can't believe Philly traded McNabb w/in the division.  I don't know what they got for him but he's still a good QB.  Are they going w/ that Kolb guy now?  WTF?

Wow.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2010 at 15:19 »

Well, they weren't going to get jack shit for Vick, and it came down to getting something for McNabb now or nothing later.  They must figure they have their future in Kolb.  Can't say, really, but IMO it's kind of dicey ever trading that high a profile player within your division.

Iggles get 2.37 this year, and a R3/R4 in 2011, contingent on whatever the fuck. 

Probably good for the Eagles, who need a shakeup, and can't litmus-test Kolb if McNabb sticks another 2-3 years: basically, in that scenario, they're likely losing both McNabb and Kolb and starting over.  Future is now in Philly, where old and overpaid doesn't cut it.  McNabb's ability can be argued ("borderline" HOFer, is what was being said on M&M), but you can't argue that the Reid/McNabb Ambiguously 100% Duo pretty much hit that glass ceiling, over and over and over.  If it hadn't happened for them yet, doubt it would have had Donny stuck around.  Kolb, off very little evidence, strikes me as a Schaub: guy will put up big numbers, but may be spinning his wheels big picture.  Nice FF potential though.

Washington gets a QB who... OK, here are guys who have started for the Skins since 1995: 
*Gus Frerotte.
*Heath Shuler.
*Jeff Hostetler.
*Trent Green.
*Brad Johnson.
*Jeff George, for fuck's sake.
*Tony Banks.
*Shane Matthews.
*Patrick Ramsey.
*Danny Wuerffel.
*Tim Hasselbeck.
*Mark Brunell.
*Todd Collins.
*Jason Campbell.

When the best of the past 15 years comes down to a washed-up Brunell and Gus Frerotte, that's like Ravens-bad.  McNabb + Shanarat = some bad Pilot song from the 70s for Skins' fans.

The one guy who doesn't make out is probably McNabb.  He's not Elway in Denver with Shanny rolling in with TO, he's the placeholder until Shanny drafts his QB, whenever that may be.  Danny Snyder, contractual voodoo guru, will have some huge-asstic hundert-billion-trillion-bazillion dollar deal that, after three years, magically turns into a trapdoor and a $20M deal.  McNabb goes on the journeyman circuit for another year or two, then the familiar teary goodbye.  Knurt Waarner to Zona is the exception to the sad end of the journeyman circuit story, and he didn't get another ring out of it.  Same with Bratt Farvery and Coach Chill, nice little run but I'll believe the old guy story when I see it.

Washington seems, on whole, to be bobbing up ever so incremementally, what with their stable of glue-horse RBs and Shanarat the wily rodent keeping Danny Snyder at least somewhat at bay.  Meanwhile, Philly, like Ningland, seems to be stripping its gears.  Hope we're not on that same cycle, but it sure seems like we could be.  Tomlin needs to unleash hell in the draft.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2010 at 11:17 »

Tomlin needs to unleash hell in the draft.

Sheesh, hope not.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2010 at 12:35 »

Oh, there's no doubt that McNabb is a great move for the 'Skins.  No, he doesn't put them over the top but they'll be, as you said, incrementally better.  But most importantly, he'll sell an assload more tickets in Washington.  And isn't that really what Danny-boy Snydley covets more than anything?  More sales, mo' money and who cares about a champeenship!?

I'm thinking Philly falls off a bit with Kolb and Washington ticks up a bit.  Do the Iggles miss the playoffs while Washington sqeaks in?  Now that would be blog worthy somewhere on the planet.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2010 at 16:52 »

Philly in the long term probably made a good move.  In the short, the NFCE is a a big slop of parity, with Washington gaining some leverage.  Still think that Philly's got the better org strategy, even if they are scrapping the Westy/McNabb era. 

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 11:31 »

I like McNabb, think he's maybe underrated a bit as a QB, but IMO his best shot at a ring is now closed.  But, whatever.

What's interesting here is that there may be ramifications in the draft that involve the Steelers.

If the Rams take Sam Bradford, then does Jimmy Clausen pull an Aaron Rodgers/Brady Quim?

Clausen's best bet had been 1.4 to the Skins, but that's likely off now.

1.6 and 1.14 Seattle just traded a R3 for Charlie Whitehurst, so I think he's being groomed behind Hasselbeck.

1.7 Cleveland just got rid of Anderson and Quinn, but brought in Delhomme.  But will they roll the dice on another ND QB?  It would seem that they might get better value at the top of R2 with a a guy like Colt McCoy, or later with Pike or one of the lesser knowns, and at 1.7 they can pursue someone like Berry or Haden.  I just don't see Delhomme and a QB at 1.7 all in the same year.

1.8 Oakland, well, who knows.  Crazy Al wants physical specimens, which bodes well for Jason Pierre-Paul or Bruce Campbell.  Gradkowski ain't the answer and JaMarcus is a pile of sludge, but I'd be surprised if the Raidazz went QB here.

1.9 Buffalo seems like the point of no return.  They need a QB badly (Ryan Fitzpatrick, Trent Edwards, and Brian Brohm are reclaimation projects at best).  But they also have some issues along both lines and could use the pick here as NT or LT.  And thus begins the slide, if that's the way they go.

1.10 is Jacksonville, who have David Garrard and Luke McCown, but my impression is that they, like the Browns, may wait for better QB value later: better impact players with QB value later.

1.11 Denver has Orton and now Quinn.  I think they are in the same boat as Cleveland and Jax, and will take a developmental guy much later if at all.

1.12 Miami is now behind Chad Henne, with Pat White and Tyler Thigpen as WC and depth guys.  Nope.

1.13 and 1.17 SF could turn the page on Alex Smith, but he seems to have worked his way back to favor in the org after a decent 2009.  SF also signed David Carr as backup.  A late round developmental QB is possible.

1.15 NY Giants, Eli, pass.

1.16 Titans, Vince Young, Kerry Collins, pass.

1.18 Steelers, pass.

1.19 Falcons, Matt Ryan, pass.

1.20 Texans, Schaub, pass.

1.21 Bengals, Cornhole Palmer, pass.

1.22 Patriots, Chin Dimple, pass.

1.23 GB, Rodgers, pass.

1.24 Eagles, Kolb, pass.

1.25 Ratties, Fucco, pass.

1.26 Cardinals.  Well here it gets interesting.  Matty Leinart ain't exactly rock solid in Whiz's book.  If Clausen falls this far, I'd have to think the Cards snag him.

1.27 Dallas, Romo, pass.

1.28 Chargers,  Livers, pass.

1.29 Jets, Sanchez, pass.

1.30 Vikings, depends on Favre.  Vikings could still bring in a franchise QB even if the Gray One returns, since Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels don't really look to be guys to get this team where Favre did.  Clausen could sit a year and learn the system, or if Favre wavers, he could compete now.

1.31 and 1.32, Clots and Aints, Manning and Brees, pass.

Whew.  Hard to see Clausen falling past Arizona if he does get past Buffalo.  But if he does, a team might want to leapfrog ahead.  Now, if it's just one team (e.g., Minnesota), then Baltimore has some trading partners.

But if several teams might be interested in trading back into R1, as the Ravens and Browns did to get Quinn and Flacco, then those teams need to aim higher.  Maybe the Browns, Raiders, Bills, and even Jacksonville see some value in moving into the 20s, rather than top 10. 

Would a team consider trading up to 1.18 to get him?  Rodgers went 1.24, Quinn 1.22, and Flacco was gotten at... 1.18.  Teams making counter-strategies to other teams trading up might not want to get undercut in the 20s, so 1.18 might be a nice trade-in spot.  The Cardinals might even trade up in anticipation of this.

So, the players and values, IMO:

Arizona:  1.26 (700) + 3.88 or 3.89 (150 or 145) + 4.121 (52)  <--> 1.18 (900)
Minnesota: 1.30 (620) + 2.62 (292) <--> 1.18 (900) + 6.189 (16)
Cleveland: 2.38 (520) + 3.71 (235) 3.85 (165) <--> 1.18 (900) + 6.189 (16)
Oakland: 2.39 (510) + 3.69 (245) 4.107 (80) + 4.127 (45) <--> 1.18 (900)
Buffalo: 2.41 (490) + 3.72 (230) 4.106 (82) + 5.131 (36) <--> 1.18 (900) [about 60 short on the Bills' side]
Jacksonville: No R2 pick, would need to shop 2011 R1.

Steelers have 10 picks (including comps) and are less interested in quantity than quality, e.g., mining R2-3.  Jax is out; Buffalo probably won't give up 4 picks, and is short a bit even then; Oakland's not giving up 4 picks. 

Holmgren says he doesn't like Clausen, and I don't see us dealing with a division rival.

Leaves the Cards and the Vikes.  IMO, the Vikes giving two picks for two picks and getting ahead of the Cards makes more sense, at least for us, and the Vikes do not have a ton of needs, whereas the Cards lost Rolle and Dansby. 

So the Vikes by elimination could look to us if the Cards can only get to the 20s. 

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 12:52 »

Now that's some purty good thinkifying you done there, finny.  But what does any of that have to do with Tim Tebow?

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 12:54 »

BTW, Derek Anderson to the Cards doesn't sell me that they're out of the Clausen stakes.

We need Tebow.  Not as a QB, but so's he can miraculously heal Polamalu when he gets dinged.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 13:05 »

BTW, Derek Anderson to the Cards doesn't sell me that they're out of the Clausen stakes.

We need Tebow.  Not as a QB, but so's he can miraculously heal Polamalu when he gets dinged.

Plus, he can help Ben renew his virginity and learn him how a real messiah treats his women!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 13:18 »

Tim's Mom told me that our offensive line blocks like dead babies.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: