Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 14:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holmes given away to Jets?  (Read 2438 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« on: Apr 11, 2010 at 23:01 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5077088

Report that Santonio to Jets for a 5th rounder.

OK, he's got off field issues that brings down his value.  But he's a first round pick and has played well enough to deserve it.  And he's just hitting his prime.  A fifth?  Really?  That's the best you can get? What's that, # 160 or so?  Yeah, you'll find equivalent value with that pick.

Maybe something is better than nothing, but to save face I might just have cut him.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2010 at 23:17 »

Apparently, Limas Sweed has shown up to offseason OTAs in the best shape of his career.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Gnutella
YO!
N00b

Pittsburgh: Super Bowl capital of the world!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 00:58 »

So we got a draft pick in exchange for a player who wasn't part of our future plans to begin with? I have no problem with that.

give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 01:47 »

Wow. I would have liked to have seen him resigned long term, but with all of his off-the-field stuff that was getting less likely with each passing day.

The future of this WR corps isn't looking too bright unless something just clicks for Sweed this year. Yikes.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 04:29 »

Should have held on to Holmes this year, let him walk via UFA and get a 3rd/4th comp pick

He was an idiot but was becoming pretty clutch....better than Ward last year IMO

Impending FA made a 2nd round pick out of the question IMO and I read on PFT.com the other day that Holmes may be facing a 4 game suspension, so if true, that knocks a 3rd rounder out of the question. 

So I guess it comes down to could the Steelers have received a 4th rounder?Huh?

Very surprising news.  I knew Holmes Tweet'd some stupid stuff but hope he wasn't the fall guy for a tumultuous offseason, as his off-field issues seemed far less likely than Ben's

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 07:03 »

No worries.

DJF told me that Holmes was washed up.

And my toothless 7 year old says Mike Wallace is "way better".
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 07:09 »

Pisspoor value management by the FO.  They can't get a fucking bag of Doritos for Holmes?  I'd have let him play out here, have him walk, and get a R3 comp when he signed his new deal.  In short, they're getting one year less (12 games, maybe) and a round or two lower in return value than they should have.  Yeah.

Well, WR just crashed into our draft needs, unless they think El is the dude.  Worse combos than Ward, Wallace, and El; younger, and better, too.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 07:54 »

Maybe there are circumstances we don't know about.  But I don't think he'd have been a UFA but an RFA instead.  Seems like with the expiring of the players union deal a guy needs 6 years to be a UFA. 

Albeit, a 5th does sound rather paltry - Holmes was no Troy Edwards.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 08:03 »

+ Leon Washington?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 08:12 »

Seriously, we should have gotten a player back with a fifth, or a third at abso-fucking-lute worst.  Washington, or a lineman. 

Steelers FO panicked, bottom line, and threw Stonio overboard.  I'm not thrilled with the Ben and Stone offseason circus, but you know what?  You work in the front office, you work in value.  Colbert has had some good drafts, but he can't jack shit for any Steeler, ever, period. 

Stonio for a R5, but a R7 for Sean Mahan?  And the Jets gave up a R3 and R5, a WR and a LB for Limas Sweed Braylon Edwards?  Dallas gave up a R1 and R3 for Roy effin Williams?

Pisspoor.

Yay.  We sent a massage to Ben.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: