Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 24, 2014 at 12:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holmes given away to Jets?  (Read 2841 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 08:20 »

From the comments of the article:

this trade opens up for BIGTIME receiver Limas Sweed to step into the starting lineup! either that or Antwaan Randle El will be starting again

*snicker*

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 08:21 »

'thats how you be great'

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 08:23 »

Hard to tell if +Leon is part of the deal.  Seeing rumors yes and no.  Makes more sense if so.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 08:28 »

Why the Jets...why?  They are going to be stacked this year.  I am just pissed at our FO.  This is by far the worst personel move in Steelers history.  

Worley showed promise in his rookie season, amassing 770 yards rushing and 5 touchdowns on 195 carries. His production fell off his second season, however, as he earned only 418 yards and no touchdowns. He was injured for most of the 1991 NFL season, and was suspended the following year from the NFL due to missing two mandatory drug tests.[5] The Steelers traded Worley to the Bears in 1993 for a fifth-round draft pick.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 08:29 »

WHAT THE FUCKY FUCK?

Did I miss the story that 'Tone kinfed a guy?

Are we going to trade every guy that gets accused of something? Accused, mind you. This case seemed to have no merit.

Or did we trade him because of.....tweets? Sorry, but I pretty much assume that 2/3 of the players in the NFL are dimwits whose opinions I'd flat-out be embarassed to learn. But I don't judge them for that, because that's not their job. Their job, which required such a commitment of time that it's no surprise that most of them couldn't tweet anything that wasn't dim-witted.

We got nothing for a Pro Bowl quality receiver. This is bullshit. Our passing game now depends on Wallace's continued progression and productivity, which, by the way, is hardly guaranteed. Randle El was never a good receiver. Now he's close to washed up. Ward, I think, will be productive this year, but beyond that is anybody's guess. Depth is zero.

Is Ben next? He allegedly has been raping his way across the United States for the last 15 months.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 08:53 »

I guess this changes our draft plans

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 09:08 »

Someone here said he was gonna be suspended for four games for substance violation, anyone else seen that? I dunno, seems to me we should have gotten something for him. That said, I hope it send a statement that we are not the Bengals and Ravens when it comes to putting up with off the field behavior....I mean, other than our QB.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 09:12 »

I guess this changes our draft plans

Not necessarily.  ARE is around again for depth.  Wallace should move up the depth chart for sure.  And you gotta figure they're always looking for WR talent on day 2 (day 3?).

I don't think this makes WR a R1-4 concern and if it does then this was a huge FO gaff.  I bet they use the 5th rounder and draft a "tall WR for Big Ben."

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 09:26 »

Not to defend a bad deal, but the woman-drinky-glass throwing incident is only icing on the cake for Stonio.  He's facing a four game suspension, and next time he pisses THC or fails to piss on demand, he's out for a year.  On top of that, it's a contract year, so he would have left for bigger money anyway.  Steelers apparently wanted to make a show of cleaning house, and to deal with the devil they do know than the one they don't.  Again, not that I agree, but if Stonio is only here for 12 games and then is gone, combined with what some say is a bad clubhouse attitude, then maybe desperation overtook Colbert.  

Ben's deal is an 8-year deal running through 2016, IIRC.  

"He's a Steeler and he'll always be a Steeler," team chairman Dan Rooney said, when the deal was inked.

Word is Goodell is meeting with Ben today, but most analysts believe that without criminal charges, this will amount to little more than a warning session.  Holmes, OTOH, is fighting criminal charges.   The significance here is that a 4-game substance suspension sould turn into a longer furlough if Goodell lowers the boom with the criminal charges going through.  IMO it's quite possible Stonio misses most or all of the season, with the two pot dings and the assault charge.  IF that is the case, then the Steelers got value now, equivalent to a R4 comp next year (or slightly better), which might not be guaranteed if Stones missed most of 2010 with the various suspensions.  He might have signed a lower deal that got us a R5 comp in 2011, which is even more shitty.

Once we see how the suspension issues parse out, this might not be as crappy as it seems.  Unless you're a Jet fan.  

Leon Washington NOT part of the deal, BTW.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 09:38 »

They've been lining up a lot of top WR talent: Arrelious Benn, "Black and" Golden Tate... IIRC, also Andre Roberts from the Citadel (great Senior Bowl week) and Joe "Dragnet" Webb (QB for UAB, converting to WR like... crap, a couple of WRs I can't remember now), who is a massive dude with nice upside. 

That runs the gamut of late R1-R4 or R5.  Draft options:

*Trade back from 1.18 for Benn or Tate, both of whom I think would flourish here.  Possibly trade back up into R3 or R2 with some lower picks.
*See if the El & Sweed combo does anything, and roll the dice later.  If El is our WR3 and Wallace is the new WR2, there's little pressure on Sweed.  But he'll have to show us NOW that he can catch in game situations, so no pressure, but now or never, if that makes sense.  You take a guy you like later, like Webb, and use R1-3 for best value in need areas (primarily on D). 
*Hope for Roberts to be there R3 as BPA.

If Dez Bryant falls, I don't think I'd take him.  I keep seeing the Randy Moss comparisons on 212, but I'm not buying it.  He's a diva, more Ocho than Moss.  Tate is a solid, steady guy with surprising speed but needs to clean up his routes, maybe in the mold of Ward best case or NYG Steve Smith worst case.  Benn looks like a better pro than collegiate IMO, bad scenario in Illinois, and the comparison I like is Anquan Boldin.  Andre Roberts is a little like Greg Jennings.  Joe Webb is harder to peg, Ward comparisons are easy but he might be more like Antonio Gates as a WR best case. Still, hard to tell how much upside he has at this point.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: