Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 16, 2014 at 08:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holmes given away to Jets?  (Read 2311 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 09:39 »

So is it Stonio, Sanstonio or San Anstonio?

Maybe in the long run we will all applaud this decision

Really wish that kid would have grown up, is it true he twittered he was going to "wake and bake"?

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 10:00 »

Really wish that kid would have grown up, is it true he twittered he was going to "wake and bake"?

I think that was Penstonio.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 10:30 »

7-9 in 2010.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 10:36 »

The more I think about this, the less I'm pissed at Colbert and the more I'm pissed at Stone.

12 games is the MAX he could've played for us, but coupled with the assault, I'm guessing Goodell suspends him most or all of the season.  So he'd be taking up a 2010 roster spot, and gone in 2011 free agency?  What good is that?  

If the FO contacted most of the other teams in the league, they doubtless knew of the potential suspension issues.  Jets are rolling the dice that Stonesie will be reborn in 2011, or come out on the light side of the suspension issue.

We're just not willing to gamble on that.

Holmes is a dick.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #24 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 10:38 »

Nah..we bounce back and get focussed

11-5

Lose in AFC Championship to....

Gov. Schwarzenegger - Go Chargers Go

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 11:36 »

What's particularly weird is that I had been thinking about the Steelers longterm~ish options at WR lately...for some ungodly reason. 

Anyway, one of the things that was kicking around in my head was a straight up deal to Cincy for...Chad Johnson.  Ocho is going into a contract year and has been kinda unhappy with his contract sitch.  He might be a prima donna; he might be a cocky prick, but the dude still has skills.  And, at least he didn't get in trouble with da law.  At least, not that I can recall.  Pretty sure he would've loved the op to play for the team that has pwned his ass for the better part of his career.

While Tone was my boy, I honestly didn't see him singing longterm, so why not ship him out now and get something for him in return?  Little did I know that his market value was so low.

Going forward, if there's even the slightest consideration of using their '10 R1 on another WR, I give RFA Brandon Marshall's agent a ring and try to work out a 4 or 5 year deal with him.  He wants to win.  He wants to be on a contender.  And, he wants a bigtime QB that can get him the ball.  Check, check and uh...check, I think.  They would lose their R1, but they significantly upgrade the WR position and besides, their R1 WR picks don't seem to hang around for much more than 3 or 4 years anyway.

Oh, and FWIW, I better not hear any '10 plan that includes ARE being a part of the starting lineup.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 11:47 »

Not thrilled with getting Ocho or Marshall, for various reasons.  I'd rather do what we do best: draft & develop (Sweed excepted).  Really want to see Wallace take off as a S/E this season, and can't see ARE getting a ton of action.  If Sweed puts it together and we get a guy at some point in the draft, WR may be less dire than it seems now.  But with the Holmes contract year and Ward's age, WR was definitely an event horizon draft-wise.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 11:58 »

What did we learn from all this?

Never, ever buy a #10 replica.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 14:42 »

They've been lining up a lot of top WR talent: Arrelious Benn, "Black and" Golden Tate... IIRC, also Andre Roberts from the Citadel (great Senior Bowl week) and Joe "Dragnet" Webb (QB for UAB, converting to WR like... crap, a couple of WRs I can't remember now), who is a massive dude with nice upside. 

That runs the gamut of late R1-R4 or R5.  Draft options:

*Trade back from 1.18 for Benn or Tate, both of whom I think would flourish here.  Possibly trade back up into R3 or R2 with some lower picks.
*See if the El & Sweed combo does anything, and roll the dice later.  If El is our WR3 and Wallace is the new WR2, there's little pressure on Sweed.  But he'll have to show us NOW that he can catch in game situations, so no pressure, but now or never, if that makes sense.  You take a guy you like later, like Webb, and use R1-3 for best value in need areas (primarily on D). 
*Hope for Roberts to be there R3 as BPA.

If Dez Bryant falls, I don't think I'd take him.  I keep seeing the Randy Moss comparisons on 212, but I'm not buying it.  He's a diva, more Ocho than Moss.  Tate is a solid, steady guy with surprising speed but needs to clean up his routes, maybe in the mold of Ward best case or NYG Steve Smith worst case.  Benn looks like a better pro than collegiate IMO, bad scenario in Illinois, and the comparison I like is Anquan Boldin.  Andre Roberts is a little like Greg Jennings.  Joe Webb is harder to peg, Ward comparisons are easy but he might be more like Antonio Gates as a WR best case. Still, hard to tell how much upside he has at this point.

I'm with ya on Benn, but I'm not a big fan of Tate, and neither of us is a big fan of Dez B, who looks like a suspension waiting to happen IMO.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #29 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 15:35 »

no Dez ....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: