Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 27, 2014 at 16:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holmes given away to Jets?  (Read 2498 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 15:39 »

I may have glossed over it here but PG reports that the Steelers were ready to release Holmes prior to getting the 5th

That explains the 5th and the Jets.  There wasn't a full field pushing for Holmes so they took what they could get.  Musta been in the pipeline that he was out at least 4 games and subsequently nobody was interested in takiing that hit (cough, cough)

Pushing the off-field stuff aside, it really sucks to lose a talent like Holmes.  That said, he certainly was worth the pick with the SB grab IMO.  I'll put up with the time-after-tmie of off-field stuff for the sake of his EZ catch.  I'll always think well of the guy.

That said, he's nearing destruction IMO.  The weed stuff aside, the "kill ur self" isn't for the Rooneys and their fan base.  My guess is a more vindictive and vicious backlash in a bigger city like NY where minor letdowns become front page news.

It'll be tough to get a WR better than Holmes; almost certainly for 2010 and possibly beyond.  Thank goodness for Mike Wallace and his year last year.  Hopefully projects forward and better.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #31 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 15:48 »

Sweed with a break out year....46 catches (22 Drops) 9 TD's 924 yards. 

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 18:31 »

Yay.  We sent a massage to Ben.

I know this was made in jest, but I've been hearing this same phrase all over the radio and talk shows locally and think its nothing but crap.  I dont think Holmes gives two shits that he isnt a Steeler anymore.  Its not like he was traded to the lions with no hopes of championships.  He was traded to a playoff team and will still get his coin.  the price to pay? 4 games without any pay.  whooptie freakin doo!

It would be no different for Ben if he has any other transgressions.

A year long suspension for Holmes THIS year would be the only saving grace from this trade.

"God Bless"

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 18:32 »

Sweed with a break out year....46 catches (22 Drops) 9 TD's 924 yards. 

Overdue for the yearly with the neurologist?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 19:42 »

Yay.  We sent a massage to Ben.

I know this was made in jest, but I've been hearing this same phrase all over the radio and talk shows locally and think its nothing but crap.  I dont think Holmes gives two shits that he isnt a Steeler anymore.  Its not like he was traded to the lions with no hopes of championships.  He was traded to a playoff team and will still get his coin.  the price to pay? 4 games without any pay.  whooptie freakin doo!

It would be no different for Ben if he has any other transgressions.

A year long suspension for Holmes THIS year would be the only saving grace from this trade.

"God Bless"

Holmes is playing 12 games MAX.  He's still got the resurgent assault case against him and concomitant additional games lost.  Goodell is looking at pot, pot again, and assault...  If the assault thing doesn't fold, he's losing half a season minimum.  And it could go longer than that.  Not to mention the fact that another pot snare takes Stonio out an entire year.

I'm putting the o/u on suspensions in 2010 at 6 for Stones, and 2 for Benny.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 21:10 »

I guess with a day to reflect and reading opinions here it wasn't the worst trade ever.  Off field stuff and pending suspension severely hampered his value.  Still wonder if they could have fished a little more before they pulled the trigger, but draft day is coming up fast.

Just worried about what I thought was one of the more solid positions on the team.  Ward can't hold off Father Time forever.  Wallace hopefully will improve, but with Holmes off the field he will get a lot more attention.  Heat has to be counted on much more this year; maybe that's a blessing in disguise.  After that, not a lot to count on.

Outside the box answer makes me think that if Spiller is available (unlikely), he might help in this area.  Not a true WR, but he made several downfield catches, and could split him out as a deep threat.  Plus if he catches it underneath in space he'll run forever.  Plus adds to return and running game.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Apr 12, 2010 at 23:24 »

I'm putting the o/u on suspensions in 2010 at 6 for Stones, and 2 for Benny.

I'm thinking 1 game for Ben and its the FO handing it out and not the commish.  I could see Goodell allowing the Steelers to get a little of their image back that way.

Holmes got one game for actually breaking the law with herbage in his car where as Ben had sex in a 5 foot bathroom with some drunk chick.

God Bless!

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #37 on: Apr 13, 2010 at 12:49 »

Now that SanAntonio is living and playing in NYC, there's going to be many distractions that will test his willpower not to mention dealing with the 20 news pages per day microscoping his every little move .  5-1 he shoots himself in the leg while simultaneously throwing a drink at himself and reaching for a blunt in Jay-Z's club.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Apr 13, 2010 at 15:24 »

I'll take Tonio, Burress, and Ben if the dead pool ever comes alive.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Apr 13, 2010 at 19:14 »

Now that SanAntonio is living and playing in NYC, there's going to be many distractions that will test his willpower not to mention dealing with the 20 news pages per day microscoping his every little move .  5-1 he shoots himself in the leg while simultaneously throwing a drink at himself and reaching for a blunt in Jay-Z's club.

I have read exactly two articles about the trade since it happened, one in the Daily News and one in the Post.  Both decried the trade from a Jets standpoint.  They're afraid Holmes will upset their locker room "chemistry'. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: