Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 12:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which position should the Steelers pick in Round 1?
Defensive back - 9 (50%)
Defensive line - 3 (16.7%)
Linebacker - 1 (5.6%)
Offensive line - 5 (27.8%)
Running back - 0 (0%)
Wide receiver - 0 (0%)
Quarterback - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Round 1 Draft Pick (POLL)  (Read 1076 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Apr 14, 2010 at 16:06 »

I wonder how many will pick quarterback now?  Haha!  A good defensive back would come in handy but Big Snack won't play forever and I'm inclined to say that Ben deserves the line he has now, ahem, uh, that the line can still improve.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2010 at 16:40 »

Earl Thomas

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2010 at 17:12 »

DAFT NDAMKNIGHTKLINGON SUE!!!!!!!!!11

A shabby Charlie Brown.
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2010 at 17:47 »

is not NDAMKNIGHTKLINGON SUE! !1!!! is Nadakongo suops!!!1!! Stoopdid adios.  but eye agry he is the bestt rite tikle in the drafts and;; ( culd be beter then that >>> mass staRs guy we hvae know111
iamwithstupid

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2010 at 21:53 »

Iuapati.  Nuff said.

Go Steelers
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 11:00 »

Experts Mock...

After trading one of Ben Roethlisberger's biggest weapons away, Pitt needs to do something to help its troubled QB.

I still have visions of Justin Hartwig getting pushed back into the end zone in the Super Bowl, something that won't happen to Maurkice Pouncey.

If not a lineman, the Steelers should grab a CB to help their pass D.

John Lorge - Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida

Mel Kiper - Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida

Todd McShay - Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida

Daniel Jeremiah - Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

Rob Rang (CBS) - Joe Haden, CB, Florida

Chad Reuter (CBS) - Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida

Pete Prisco (CBS) - Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

Clark Judge (CBS) - Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida

Ourlads - Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

Walter Football - Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama

Shutdown Corner - Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

National Football Post - Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 12:02 »

I think they need to DARFT the best available OL, DL, or CB. Although, WR is making a pretty good case to being in the top 3 now.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 14:14 »

I think you draft the BPA, with areas of need informing but not constraining that.  For example, there is no QB at 1.18 that fits our value, even if Clausen or Bradford fall, even with all that is going on with Ben.  (In a weird-case scenario, if the Rooneys would bend to the masses with pitchforks and trade Ben, best value would dictate bringing in a vet to compete with Dixon and looking to 2011 for better QB value, IMO.)  TE and FB are not on the radar.  Positions such as OG and C, not generally mid-R1 values, have skewed upward in drafts of late (as S did earlier in the decade, slightly).  That might mean Iupati or Pouncey would be justified even without a trade-down; to my mind, not.  OT would absolutely be a target, but the players likely to be at 1.18 all have caveats (Davis, want-to; Campbell, can-do; Brown, frame).

WR is very solid value in the R2-4 range this year, but 1.18 figures Bryant, possibly, who might be DND on any number of teams' boards for diva attitude.  To my mind, better value exists (again) in a trade-down for Benn, Tate, or Damian Williams, in that order IMO.  Also Carlton Mitchell and Andre Roberts at R3.  Past that, you can wait until R5-ish and see if Decker falls, medical, or Webb is there, conversion project; Easley, measurables, is another pet of mine.  A large number of overrateds otherwise, IMO.

If McClain falls, or we really like Weatherspoon, ILB could figure at 1.18.  Most don't see ILB as exigent, what with Farrior (old), Foote (slow), Timmons, and Fox (backup) in the fold.  A year or two out, that group will likely be Timmons and Fox and no one.  So that's a possible target, as is OLB.  Again, no need with Woodley and Harrison (age) and Frazier (JAG) and Bailey (JASTG), right?  Two years out, could be Woodley and some guys or Woodley and Harrison and some guys, but which?  So Woodley II, Brandon Graham, is worth the get; Jerry Hughes might be better in a trade-down.

DB is tricky.  Huge R2/R3 CB cluster, but at least 3 guys who are getting rich due to positional inflation (Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, Kareem Jackson), all good in their own rights, none worth a R1, absolutley none worth 1.18.  Less dropoff to R2 from even a trade-down to get one of those three, so pass, IMO.  Haden won't fall now, but if he did, he's a 1.18 no question.  FS Earl Thomas is whispered as a CB, but hasn't played the spot, and I'd take him for FS anyway, where Clark is spackle until a real playmaker on the order of Troy arrives.  No other S is worth 1.18 or R1/2 cusp.

RB and DL feature one player who could be worth a 1.18, CJ Spiller, based on versatility (RB, KR, WR); Odrick looks solid, but again, more a trade-down value.  Problem is, both positions are deep in this draft.  RB almost always is anyway, but DL is very, very deep this year. 

TE is almost as silly as FB or K in R1.

In short, trading back yields the most options, but by sheer numbers LB and OL have the most targets.  DB may have the best (Haden, maybe, and Thomas).  DL and RB seem unlikely, having just gone there recently with Mendy and Hood; LB might seem so with Timmons and, R2, Woodley, but we also run 4 LBs so that's no argument.

Off-the-head mock, based on value cluster, visits, and implied positional interest off visits, with no trades.  Not necessarily my druthers, moreso what I think they like, roughly construed (NFLDS rank in parens):

1.18 OG/RT Mike Iupati (19)
2.52 NT Linval Joseph (60)
3.82 CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (69)
4.116 S Kam Chancellor (123)
5.151 WR Joe Webb (149)
5.155 RB Lonyae Miller (158)
5.164 ILB Phillip Dillard (156)
5.166 DE Mike Neal (166)
6.188 OLB Adrian Tracy (200)
7.224 OT Ramon Harewood (230)
7.242 QB Sean Canfield (281)

Notes: AOA is likely gone, but there are numerous other CB possibilities; Walter Thurmond should be the injury waiver to gamble on.  Chancellor is apparently a Tomlin guy, more SS than FS IMO, but some positional flex.  Lonyae Miller replaces LeGarrette Blount, as the FO has had enough of anything even resembling character issues.  We swap Santonio for "Dragnet" Joe Webb: Wallace has the speed and clutch characteristics, but has to grow into the starting job; meanwhile Webb is the newest QB-to-WR experiment, but with 6'3" size and 4.46 speed.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 14:44 »

Off-the-head mock, based on value cluster, visits, and implied positional interest off visits, with no trades.  Not necessarily my druthers, moreso what I think they like, roughly construed (NFLDS rank in parens):

1.18 OG/RT Mike Iupati (19)
2.52 NT Linval Joseph (60)
3.82 CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (69)
4.116 S Kam Chancellor (123)
5.151 WR Joe Webb (149)
5.155 RB Lonyae Miller (158)
5.164 ILB Phillip Dillard (156)
5.166 DE Mike Neal (166)
6.188 OLB Adrian Tracy (200)
7.224 OT Ramon Harewood (230)
7.242 QB Sean Canfield (281)

Likin' it Brother.  Did Colbert take your call?  Especially like your 3rd Rounder.
http://maximumgrilledsteelers.com/index.php?topic=18028.0

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 15:28 »

Colbert's busy shopping Ben right now.  He's gotten teams down to a ham sandwich and a six of Pabst.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2010 at 09:01 »

Honestly if they did make the huge mistake and actually trade him what would you be satified with?

2 first round picks and 2 second round picks?

Hell Ricky Williams got traded to Miami for all of their picks in 1999 and a first and a third in 2000.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2010 at 09:49 »

Honestly if they did make the huge mistake and actually trade him what would you be satified with?

2 first round picks and 2 second round picks?

Hell Ricky Williams got traded to Miami for all of their picks in 1999 and a first and a third in 2000.

Satisfied with?

I'd want a helluva lot more than Colbert would get us, put it that way.  It'd have to be a fucking haul.

Even with the shit he's been through, I'd want a 2010 R1, a 2011 R1, and a bunch of mid-round picks from the next couple of years.  And even then I'd probably wait a year to draft a QB, so I'd be looking at FAs vs. Dixon this year, and revamping the lines and secondary.

I dunno, don't see any QBs this year (uck) or next on par with BBR.  I like Clausen more than most here, but he's about the only one close to being worth a draft pick; but the equivalent of Ben?  NFW.  Some folks are excited about Locker and Ponder next year, but I think I'd look very closely at Jerrod Johnson, very talented, super high character guy. 

Hope it doesn't come to pass, though.  I'd rather win a couple more Lombardis with Ben.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2010 at 09:59 »

I agree...about the lombardis.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: