Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 14:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sens-Pens  (Read 2981 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Apr 14, 2010 at 18:59 »

2-1 after one.  Fleury kicking out rebounds like they were 30 days late on rent. 

Pens seem to think it'll come easy or something.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2010 at 20:53 »

I guess the Pens think they really can just turn it on and off, without care for the, you know, actual puck.  At least three times by my count they drop-passed themselves offside.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2010 at 21:01 »

Penso,

You need that Pronger dude. He scored half his team's goals tonight.  Grin
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 08:04 »

It is of some consolation that the underdog won every game last night-- and yes, I know Phoenix has a higher seed than Detroit.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 08:31 »

That was a pretty brutal performance on all fronts. I really still can't figure out how we got 4 goals out of that trainwreck.

Not ready to jump ship by any means but wow. Gonch and Letang were terrible in their own end, the Pens were outhustled to every loose puck, they couldn't establish any kind of forecheck or cycle, and MAF looked like he never put on goaltending gear before.

Grampa Guerin really needs to sit for Rupp and they need to put Dupuis or Poni with Sid and Kunitz. Also, please find a fucking way to counter the trap.

I still think we take the series, but Friday is about as monster of a game 2 as they come.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2010 at 13:52 »

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Senators+lose+Michalek+season/2910970/story.html

Michalek out for the year.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2010 at 20:41 »

Tremendous effort tonight.  And this just in... Spezza claims Crosby raped him behind the Senator's goal.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2010 at 21:32 »

I'm drunk Sid is god and someone needs to seriously fuck up Andy Sutton before this series is over.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2010 at 22:09 »

I'm drunk Sid is god and someone needs to seriously fuck up Andy Sutton before this series is over.

Nothing wrong with that hit.  Leopold was skating bent over with his head down through the neutral zone.  He was just asking to be jacked-up.  If it were up to me, Sutton would be making those kind of hits for the Pens rather than against them.  I don't like how soft our defense plays (Orpik excluded of course).  Too much finesse, not enough toughness.

As for as Sid goes, he single handedly won this game tonight.  What a display of skill and strength to set up Letang on the winner.  Just magical.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2010 at 00:30 »

Great effort by the Pens tonight.  Loved Fleury coming out of the net and poking that puck away.  Yall know the one.  Didnt see the hit, but I caught Crosby doing his Saturday Night Fever behind the net.  Fantastic example of his "Try and stop me" attitude.  Malkin needs to play a little smarter when he is outnumbered.  Letang was decent tonight.  Thought Talbot was hustling out there.  Gonchar.  Hmmmm. 

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 11:45 »

Excellent effort in game 3.  Flurry still not at his sharpest, but he seems be getting a little better every night.

Let's go out and put a stranglehold on this series Tuesday.  Nugent-style.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2010 at 12:48 »

Excellent effort in game 3.  Flurry still not at his sharpest, but he seems be getting a little better every night.

Let's go out and put a stranglehold on this series Tuesday.  Nugent-style.

Yep another game with not much to complain about. Still think Gonch can play a little better in his own zone, but the rest of the defenseman are playing really well. Eaton has been a friggin animal, as has Orpik obviously. Goligoski probably played his best 3 games of the season in this series, and Letang has improved each game.

Nice to see Poni get on the board, hopefully he gets it going and gives us another offensive option. He's been solid in his own zone and I think he just needed one to go through to break the dam.

The Senators are beat up, depleted, and on their heels. End this shit in 5.

whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2010 at 09:14 »

Tremendous effort tonight.  And this just in... Spezza claims Crosby raped him behind the Senator's goal.

Spezza is still picking his equipment up off the ice after that. Sid is unbelievable, at the second intermission of the Sabres-Bruins game the guys on VS were saying Sid is by far the best post season player in the league. Shit, I'll take that any day. Ovechkin doesn't play defense, and people don't notice it during the regular season because the Caps score so many goals. However, that pussy gets exposed in the playoffs. I hope we see them this year again.

The Sens are all but done. I'm sure we'll finish them in 5.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2010 at 09:25 »

If shit holds up, and that is a big if, we'd get Boston in round 2 and home ice which would be a huge draw as the number 4 seed. We'd also avoid the Caps until the conference finals and they'd get Philly next round. I don't think Philly would have what it takes to win that series but they sure as shit would have what it takes to beat the snot out of the Caps physically for 6 or 7 games. Ideal setup IMO.

First things first though.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2010 at 22:12 »

What an effing joke the Senators are.  Billy Elliot, Corky Clouston, wtfever.  That has to be the least intimidating effort at goonery I've ever seen.

Hopefully we can out them away on thursday at home, so we don't have to see any more ads for "Bulk Barn" behind the benches.  What is that located on the highway near the Fat Farm?  Stupid fucking hick canooks.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 06:15 »

Stupid fucking hick canooks.

Ya cut me deep, Shrek.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 07:33 »

Andy Sutton is a DICK

http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?clipId=4715146&topVideoCatNo=178631&autoStart=true

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 09:48 »

Stupid fucking hick canooks.

Ya cut me deep, Shrek.

I'm sorry, otis.  I know you hung up the moose rifle years ago.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 22:46 »

Now if we could only get our lead quarterback to do the same thing...

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 00:08 »

Now if we could only get our lead quarterback to do the same thing...

According to the DNA evidence, he's shooting blanks anyway.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 08:07 »

If shit holds up, and that is a big if, we'd get Boston in round 2 and home ice which would be a huge draw as the number 4 seed.

Would love playing Boston in the 2nd, but that depends on the Debbies losing their series against the d-bag flyers.  I know filly is up 3-1, but no Gagne and Carter for the duration is just an opening that boring ass team in jersey needs.  the Eastern series are turning out just as i expected, but had the buff/boston series as a tossup.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 09:11 »

Close out the Sens tonight and get some rest...

JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 09:24 »

this series was closed out the 2nd period of game 3.  its been all down hill since for em.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 09:26 »

If shit holds up, and that is a big if, we'd get Boston in round 2 and home ice which would be a huge draw as the number 4 seed.

Would love playing Boston in the 2nd, but that depends on the Debbies losing their series against the d-bag flyers.  I know filly is up 3-1, but no Gagne and Carter for the duration is just an opening that boring ass team in jersey needs.  the Eastern series are turning out just as i expected, but had the buff/boston series as a tossup.

Yeah I'm hopeful they can win 1 out of 3 even without Carter and Gagne. Regardless huge loss for Philly and even if they do pull it out there isn't a snowballs chance now that they beat Washington.

Buffalo is in deep shit after last night. Was rooting for Boston obviously but now I actually hope Buff extends it a bit. After watching the last 3 games of that series neither team has the firepower to beat with the Pens in 7, but of course we want Boston at home.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010 at 09:34 by Merman1983 » Logged
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 09:33 »

After watching the last 3 games of that series neither team has the firepower to beat with the Pens in 7.

true that...also, the pens played very well against NE divisional teams this year.  However, buff has Miller going for them.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 11:43 »

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Senators+switch+goaltenders+Game/2938566/story.html

Leclaire in goal for the Sens. White flag?
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 13:50 »

Desperation move, more like.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Apr 23, 2010 at 00:05 »

Motherfuck.  We got exactly one bounce in 6 periods of hockey, the Kunitz goal that stood.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Apr 23, 2010 at 06:53 »

Motherfuck.  We got exactly one bounce in 6 periods of hockey, the Kunitz goal that stood.

What a waste of my night...should have went to bed. Really came out flat and put ourselves down 2 early. Bad game all around. Bad Passing...Bad catching the passes that were good...etc.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Apr 23, 2010 at 07:03 »

I think Leclaire stole that game. Maybe he didn't make a bunch of highlight reel saves but that was the best he could have played. I honestly expected the Pens to score about 6 tonight and chase him. I thought besides the first 12 minutes and maybe the first OT the Pens outplayed the Sens. The Sens blocked, what 40 fucking shots? Tebow Christ.

Would have been nice to have ended it, but it doesn't always happen that way in the NHL playoffs. I think we close it out Saturday.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #30 on: Apr 23, 2010 at 07:19 »

this series was closed out the 2nd period of game 3.  its been all down hill since for em.

Not so fast...we cannot lose game 6.  Remember what we did to Detroit last year?

JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Apr 23, 2010 at 08:42 »

Not so fast...we cannot lose game 6.  Remember what we did to Detroit last year?

Looks like the Pens had the same mentality as the fans the first period; they would just raise the white flag and say no mas!  Hey at least we all get to see another game on Saturday.  so grab a brew and enjoy.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Apr 23, 2010 at 11:00 »

The Sens blocked, what 40 fucking shots? Tebow Christ.

Yeah they deserve some credit for this.  OTOH, I lost count by the second period of the number of times Guerin, McKee, Letang or Goloigoski would shoot the puck into a player who was already on the ice, or worse yet, directly into the shins of a player standing 10 feet in front of them.  It's like they thought because eClaire was in net, anything they shot would go in.  Horrible shot selection.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Apr 25, 2010 at 07:23 »

Effing sweet.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Apr 25, 2010 at 10:22 »

Effing sweet.

Yep. Go Habs!
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 09:42 »

no doubt!  but after watching the Eastern conf. play out, there is no reason to believe the Pens shouldnt be considered the odds on favorite to make it to the finals.  aside from game 1, the Pens have been improving on all sides.  They are a very powerful team.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 09:49 »

no doubt!  but after watching the Eastern conf. play out, there is no reason to believe the Pens shouldnt be considered the odds on favorite to make it to the finals.  aside from game 1, the Pens have been improving on all sides.  They are a very powerful team.

Dunno, man.  Fleury has not been good really all year; he's gonna have to turn it on next round I think. 

I don't want to win the East and then lose in 6 to fucking Detroit or Vancouver or whoever, but that's what we'll be looking at if MAF doesn't stop giving up the softies. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 09:56 »

Dunno, man.  Fleury has not been good really all year; he's gonna have to turn it on next round I think. 

I don't want to win the East and then lose in 6 to fucking Detroit or Vancouver or whoever, but that's what we'll be looking at if MAF doesn't stop giving up the softies. 

After giving up some soft ones I'm really impressed how he has been able to close out a few games.  notably game 6 after giving up a 3-0 goal lead.  and game 5 after staking them a 2 goal dis-advantage.

Also keep in mind that the defensive style they employ will yield some shitty goals from time to time.

However, one area the pens have a weakness is shooting from the blue line quickly enough IMO.  games 5/6 were prime examples where gonchar or Gogs hesitated a split second too late to shoot.  enough time for it to be blocked.  angry4

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 12:12 »

Yeah, while MAF has given up his patented softies, he has been hung out to dry on many occasions (tying goal in game 5 which Feds gave-away, 1st goal in game 6 which Letang pinched and Guerin got caught in no-man's-land, etc.). I think overall he's been pretty damn good and have alot more confidence in him going forward than I would say someone like Rask or Varmalov. He's a proven playoff performer and locked it down when he had to in the series.

As far as who comes out of the east, it a tossup between us and Washington imo. Washington may capitalize more on scoring chances than Ottawa did due to their talent at forward, but I don't see them ever blocking 40 shots, collapsing the net, etc. like Ottawa did. It'll go 7 and probably come down to Varmalov/Fluery.

We'd have a bad matchup against whoever comes out of the west. But I'll worry about that if it happens.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 12:15 »

Yes, MAF is infinitely preferable to Rask or Varlamov, and yes, he does get left on island frequently because of our up-tempo style.

However, he has to be better than he was against ottawa.  Especially if he faces a proven playoff winner like Boucher.

*snicker*

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 15:03 »

Also, both TK and Leopold skated today.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=527079&navid=DL|PIT|home

"It's too early to say if and when they might be back," head coach Dan Bylsma said. "They are progressing. They are doing better. They are doing more and more off the ice. We'll take every day and hopefully we'll get more healthy. We'd love to insert those guys into the lineup come Game 1 (of the next round)."
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 20:41 »

Wow, the only thing that would have made that any better is if Halak fills the empty net. Watching coach garden gnome and his band of merry floaters squirm is must see tv.

Also Boston holds on, so one way or another we're at home for round 2.

Go Habs!
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 22:22 »

Wow, the only thing that would have made that any better is if Halak fills the empty net. Watching coach garden gnome and his band of merry floaters squirm is must see tv.

Also Boston holds on, so one way or another we're at home for round 2.

Go Habs!

So we get either the Bruins or the Canadiens?  Not to be overconfidant, but I'd've taken that in a second at the start of the playoffs.

Still think the Caps blow the doors off in game 7, though.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #43 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 07:01 »

Yeah we get either the Bruins or Habs, likely the Bruins. I wouldn't call it overconfidence you just recognize we likely drew our best matchup in the 2nd round, at home as the 4 seed.

I could see Rask stealing a game or two but yeah, we're a much better team than Boston. I don't expect Halak to pull out another miracle like that either but it's fun to think about. The Habs would not be able to run 4 defensemen out there the whole game against us like they do the Caps because we, well, forecheck.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 12:41 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/news/story?id=5139659

Savard cleared for round 2 so we will likely hear about how he is looking for revenge every 5 seconds for the whole series if we end up playing them.

Edit: Also, Poti is out for game 7 for the Caps:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36805411/ns/sports-nhl/
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2010 at 12:47 by Merman1983 » Logged
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 12:54 »

That probably improves their defensive capabilities.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 13:30 »

That probably improves their defensive capabilities.

heh, you'd think so. But anything that gives Joe Corvo more ice time can't be a good thing.
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: