A little fun on a boring Sunday night. First I list the 18 players in the order I think the Steelers would draft them if they are available:
1. Ndamukong Suh
2. Gerald McCoy
3. Eric Berry
4. Russell Okung
Not happening.5. Bryan Bulaga
Steelers met with Bulaga - widely viewed as one of the top 2-3 OTs, with Okung and Williams, but might go closer to 10 than 5. If he does slip into the teens, the Steelers may consider a trade-up.6. Rolando McClain
Update on McClain is that previous reports that he has Crohns Disease were incorrect, based on medical updates. This likely bore little effect on the draft; McClain could be targeted in the 1.12 - 1.18 by teams depending on needs and boards. McClain could well be a draft day faller the Steelers would like to target.7. Joe Haden<8. Kyle Wilson Will be there. Worth a R2, not R1, IMO, and should not be on our R1 board.
9. Earl Thomas IMO Thomas will go higher than most people expect. Steelers have re-signed Clark and added Will Allen, and may not be looking for a S this early. Thomas and Berry are well above the other S prospects, in terms of PD/INT stats, so if Thomas falls he could easily be drafted as BPA, and some suggest he could be NCB for a season or two.
10. Anthony Davis<11. Jared Odrick<12. Sean Weatherspoon Most mocks have Spoon also being a R1/R2 cusp and a better fit in a 4-3, but he could go mid-R1 if a team loves his leadership and motor. Would be ILB in our system, where he looks more in the mold of Timmons; some question as to whether we need more of a stopper.
13. Brandon Graham<14. Charles Brown Questionable strength to hold the POA, seemingly a better fit for a ZBS finesse team. Still growing into his LT frame from time as a TE. I would pass.
15. Trent Williams<16. Dez Bryant<17. Maurkice Pouncy Seems to be getting a lot of love based on positional flexibility and upside. Not the finished product that some recent Cs have been (Mangold, Mack), but could easily win the RG spot and move to C. A definite target.
18. Devin McCourty See Wilson comments above. Pass.
Also in the mix or on the fringes, IMO:
a. Mike Iupati Questions as to positional value (holds with Pouncey as well), and pass-blocking, which was badly exposed at the Senior Bowl. However, may be a possible LG/RG/RT flex player and many teams love his upside. Kemo-plus?
b. Dan Williams Could go R1b-R1c, and is seen by many as a possible 3-4 NT, which would put him on our board. IMO, he just misses that with a scant 27 lifts (where 30 is minimum and 35+ optimal for a NT). Also, better value later.
c. Jerry Hughes.<
Now I give an 18
round selection Mock (since the draft is all of 7 rounds in toto):
1. St. Louis - Sam Bradford
2. Detroit - Ndamukong Suh
3. Tampa Bay - Gerald Mccoy
4. Washington - Russell Okung
5. KC - Eric Berry
6. Seattle - C. J. Spiller
7. Cleveland - Little Jimmy Clausen
8. Oakland - Anthony Davis
9. Buffalo - Bryan Bulaga
10. Jacksonville - Jason Pierre Paul
11. Denver - Jared Odrick
12. Miami - Dan Williams
13. SF - Charles Brown
14. Seatle - Joe Haden
15. NY Gmen - Sean Weatherspoon
16. Tennesse - Rolando McClain
17. SF - Brandon Graham
18 Pittsburgh - Earl Thomas nice pick up if troy goes down and a future star.
Very possible, though I think Odrick will go in the 20s. Seems a bit high. Also think Thomas goes closer to 10 than 20, but would love to see him here. If Al Davis holds to recent form, expect Bruce Campbell to be high on his list.
Now I will give a full Steelers mock:
1. Earl Thomas S<2. Arrelious Benn WR Another nice call. Under-rated due to poor 2009 (QB), sort of in the Boldin mold. Some inconsistencies worth noting.
3. Matt Tennant C<4. Walter Thurmond CB Need a little luck for him to fall.<5. Jason Fox OT Another nice value pick with the walking wounded. R1/R2 talent, with med questions. Steelers could stash on IR a year as well.
5. Jeff Owens DT<5. LeGarrette Blount RB<5. Phillip Dillard ILB<6. Simoni Lawrence OLB Good call here; seems like a good nexus of OLB prospects to develop (Moats, Tracy, etc.).
7. Jarrett Brown QB used as a warning to Ben<7. Kyle Jolly OT<