Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 16:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lefty  (Read 1368 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #20 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 10:54 »

I'm thinking the Lefty signing just means Batch gets released when Ben's suspension ends.  They go with 3 QBs and Lefty starts or competes w/ Dixon during camp to start.  Hell, they may even release the odd man before the season starts to save a roster spot for an extra DB or whatever.  After the suspension makes more sense, maybe they can hide a guy on the PS.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 12:56 »

I am on the fence about trading Ben or not. I will be ok either way. My personal opinion is if he isn't traded, he needs to sit for the year. I like the Lefty acquisition, thought he should have stuck around when he SINGED with Tampa. No player is worth more than the Steelers as a whole to me, and I love Ben as a player. Just a tough situation that could have easily been avoided.

I agree Vinman, but they have to get value for him too. Anything less than 2 first rounders (and I'd try to get a QB for now too) is not enough. And I'd want those first rounders to be near the top of the draft this year and probable high picks next year too (so trade to a bad team).

Think this through.  He was not charged or convicted of anything.  How do you condemn a man innocent of a crime, but guilty of poor judgement.  Trading Ben would be a HUGE mistake.  Are you really wishing mediocrity for our team?  There are way too many inconsistencies in the police reports to say Ben did anything that would put him in prison. 

When would it end? 

According to the Associated press Steeler great Hines Ward has been released because he did not put a dollar in the Salvation Army red kettle.

Bell Ringer- "He just walked by and said he did not have any cash, that is not a guy I want playing for my Steelers"
Hines - "I really did not have any cash on me, I donate thousands a year to numerous charities, but now I am released, are you joking"

I have actually thought it through...Ben has been accused of this in the summer of last year and less than one year later, he puts himself in exactly the same situation and gets accused again. Maybe both of these incidents did not have enough merit to prosecute and therefore we can sit here and say that he should not be condemned if he is not convicted, but the fact is, that there was enough evidence for Roger Goddell to find that he violated the leagues personal conduct policy and suspend him for 6 games (1/3 of the season). He did not learn anything the last time, so what makes me think that he will learn anything this time? I fully expect him to be out and find himself in a similar situation again. Plus if either of these chicks end up winning a civil case, others will smell blood in the water and try to do the same thing. I do not think this will be the last allegation in Ben's career.

If he does end up in trouble again, he will probably be suspended for a year and his value will be completely shot. We'll probably end up releasing him (and there were reports that the Steelers were thinking about it this time) and getting nothing. If we can get 2 first rounders and a QB to play now, then I say we do it and use one of those picks to draft another QB. I am certainly not wishing mediocrity on the team, but trying to look into the future and do what I believe is best. If you can get value for him now, do it before he has no value left.

And oh...BTW...A seventh round pick for Leftwich is a great move in this situation. Is there any doubt that Leftwich will have more of an impact this year than whoever we would have drafted with that pick?

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #22 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 13:29 »

Good points kluisi.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 14:25 »

According to Fuckface Florio, Steelers extended Lefty a year already.

What the means I cannot even begin to sepculate.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 15:29 »

I am on the fence about trading Ben or not. I will be ok either way. My personal opinion is if he isn't traded, he needs to sit for the year. I like the Lefty acquisition, thought he should have stuck around when he SINGED with Tampa. No player is worth more than the Steelers as a whole to me, and I love Ben as a player. Just a tough situation that could have easily been avoided.

I agree Vinman, but they have to get value for him too. Anything less than 2 first rounders (and I'd try to get a QB for now too) is not enough. And I'd want those first rounders to be near the top of the draft this year and probable high picks next year too (so trade to a bad team).

Think this through.  He was not charged or convicted of anything.  How do you condemn a man innocent of a crime, but guilty of poor judgement.  Trading Ben would be a HUGE mistake.  Are you really wishing mediocrity for our team?  There are way too many inconsistencies in the police reports to say Ben did anything that would put him in prison. 

When would it end? 

According to the Associated press Steeler great Hines Ward has been released because he did not put a dollar in the Salvation Army red kettle.

Bell Ringer- "He just walked by and said he did not have any cash, that is not a guy I want playing for my Steelers"
Hines - "I really did not have any cash on me, I donate thousands a year to numerous charities, but now I am released, are you joking"

I have actually thought it through...Ben has been accused of this in the summer of last year and less than one year later, he puts himself in exactly the same situation and gets accused again. Maybe both of these incidents did not have enough merit to prosecute and therefore we can sit here and say that he should not be condemned if he is not convicted, but the fact is, that there was enough evidence for Roger Goddell to find that he violated the leagues personal conduct policy and suspend him for 6 games (1/3 of the season). He did not learn anything the last time, so what makes me think that he will learn anything this time? I fully expect him to be out and find himself in a similar situation again. Plus if either of these chicks end up winning a civil case, others will smell blood in the water and try to do the same thing. I do not think this will be the last allegation in Ben's career.

If he does end up in trouble again, he will probably be suspended for a year and his value will be completely shot. We'll probably end up releasing him (and there were reports that the Steelers were thinking about it this time) and getting nothing. If we can get 2 first rounders and a QB to play now, then I say we do it and use one of those picks to draft another QB. I am certainly not wishing mediocrity on the team, but trying to look into the future and do what I believe is best. If you can get value for him now, do it before he has no value left.

And oh...BTW...A seventh round pick for Leftwich is a great move in this situation. Is there any doubt that Leftwich will have more of an impact this year than whoever we would have drafted with that pick?

To be fair, Ben didn't really put himself in any situation in the first instance (unless he actually raped that chick in Tahoe).  Ben was there for a charity golf tournament.

Obviously he shouldn't have been boozing it up publicly in a college town, but to say he put himself in bad situations twice isn't all that accurate.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 17:19 »

To be fair, Ben didn't really put himself in any situation in the first instance (unless he actually raped that chick in Tahoe).  Ben was there for a charity golf tournament.

Obviously he shouldn't have been boozing it up publicly in a college town, but to say he put himself in bad situations twice isn't all that accurate.

The situation I'm referring to is not the bar at the college town for the celebrity golf tournament, it's the ladies room of that bar with the drunk girl he fucked (allegedly).

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 19:04 »

The situation I'm referring to is not the bar at the college town for the celebrity golf tournament, it's the ladies room of that bar with the drunk girl he fucked (allegedly).

The key word here is allegedly.

You read the shit the Milledgeville cops & GBI released, and you'd be hard pressed to say without a doubt that he was anywhere with that girl.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: