Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 17, 2014 at 20:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Per Adam Schefter.... Roethlisberger for top 10 pick?  (Read 4578 times)
pumasgirl
N00b

« Reply #60 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 08:18 »

I heard a couple of times on the radio yesterday (Steven A. Smith for instance) that Roethlisberger has shown a PATTERN of irresponsible behavior with women (twice in 8 months) and I totally disagree.  We have ONE event here that shows poor judgement - Milledgeville.  The other event was Ben getting it on with a woman in his hotel room, which is not particularly unwise or unrecommended by any stretch.

Ben deserves the suspension for trying to have sex with a drunk girl in a public restroom, but we don't have a pattern of irresponsible behavior.

Trade the guy for one mistake?  I hope that isn't the "Steelers Way" because it starts to look less admirable and more like a dysfunctional fundamentalist family.

Agreed! I'm actually starting to get kind of pissed at the Rooneys that they would consider walking away from their franchise QB and basically shifting the "problem" (not that I think there really is one) to another team. I also think this thing with Ben is getting blown way out of proportion. Has anyone heard about the case with the Colts' Eric Foster who is currently being sued civilly for sexual assault. No? My point exactly!

People want to paint Ben as this big, bad football playing monster and talk about how his actions were so deplorable and he's a disgusting human being. Well, what about the girl's actions in this situation. Whether or not he purchased alcohol for her she made the decision to drink it. So far I haven't heard any reports that while exposing himself to her Ben also managed to hold her mouth open and pour shots down her throat. That would be like if I got arrested for doing drugs, but then I argued that I only snorted that pile of cocaine because somebody else bought it for me. It would be rude not to, right?

Why does she not have any responsibility in the fact that she allowed herself to get so sloppy drunk that she couldn't clearly recall her actions that night? It's not like he slipped her a roofi (although I'm sure that will be the next report the media conjures up). She knew exactly what she was doing especially since she followed him from bar to bar.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #61 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 08:29 »

Has anyone heard about the case with the Colts' Eric Foster who is currently being sued civilly for sexual assault.

Who the fuck is Eric Foster?

If I blow some Canadian nectar on a fat chick's blue dress, I'm probably not going to make CNN of Fox News.

Sure, I bet Ben would like Foster's anonymity right now, but I bet he wouldn't like his paycheck.

I don't think Tom Brady could get away with shitting in someone's closet.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #62 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 08:38 »

Has anyone heard about the case with the Colts' Eric Foster who is currently being sued civilly for sexual assault.

Who the fuck is Eric Foster?

If I blow some Canadian nectar on a fat chick's blue dress, I'm probably not going to make CNN of Fox News.

Sure, I bet Ben would like Foster's anonymity right now, but I bet he wouldn't like his paycheck.

I don't think Tom Brady could get away with shitting in someone's closet.

clap

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #63 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 08:41 »

Ok, a little late for this question, but for those who have read the whole case file:

Did Ben even have sex with this woman? Has he admitted to this?

They didn't find any male DNA on her, right? And she had a rape kit done at the hospital and came back negative, right? What the hell is this case about then? Ben is being slandered left and right, including by a prominent NY Times columnist who calls Ben a rapist! Of "underage" girls!

The details of this case don't look good in public, but Ben is being painted as a guy who jumps out of bushes to rape 15-year-olds. Maybe one of these days the media, looking as ever for a new story or a new angle on an old story, will start portraying Ben as a victim of media hyperbole.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #64 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 08:46 »

Actually, you are incorrect. Pacman was suspended for four games (maybe six?) when he was with the Cowboys and his security guard started a fight with him. No charges were pressed. No arrests were made. The security guard was fired. The police refused to investigate further. Goodell acted in his chode-ish manner.

Actually, you're wrong.  Adam Jones was arrested in July 2005 on charges of assault and felony vandalism.
He was arrested in August, 2006 for disorderly conduct and public intoxication.
October 2006 - cited for misdemeanor assault.

So, there were charges and he was arrested.  Whether or not he was guilty, those things happened.

LC, come on. I know you're a legal eagle and your love of the Steelers sometimes hides facts from you, but what I'm saying is that when Pacman was with the Cowboys, Goodell suspended him for at least four games specifically due to an argument that took place between he and his Cowboys-assigned security guard. That's it. The suspension did not stem from any arrests, charges, convictions or anything like that. Goodell made an arbitrary decision to suspend him, ergo his decision on Ben is not unprecedented. Luckily for Ben, Goodell at least waited for the investigation to play out and is giving him a chance to reduce the length of suspension.

I think LC is saying that the decision didn't occur in a vacuum, that Pacman had a longer (and criminal) rap sheet dating back to his youth; e.g., Goodell didn't suspend Pacman *only* b/c of the fracas with with his handler (!) but b/c he was told after serving his previous suspension that there would be zero tolerance (thus the requirement of a fucking "handler" for a grown man) should he so much as make one step out of line.

Yes, Jonzr, that's exactly what I'm saying.
Joetorious, you said Adam wasn't arrested, wasn't charged.  He was.  Thus, he was on a short leash. He hit the end of it; he got suspended.

Ben, to date, has NOT been charged nor has he been arrested.

And the "underage" thing is pissing me off too.  She was only underage when it comes to drinking.  She was well above the age of consent in Georgia.

The media needs to stfu.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Manimal

« Reply #65 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 08:51 »

Agreed! I'm actually starting to get kind of pissed at the Rooneys that they would consider walking away from their franchise QB and basically shifting the "problem" (not that I think there really is one) to another team. I also think this thing with Ben is getting blown way out of proportion. Has anyone heard about the case with the Colts' Eric Foster who is currently being sued civilly for sexual assault. No? My point exactly!

People want to paint Ben as this big, bad football playing monster and talk about how his actions were so deplorable and he's a disgusting human being. Well, what about the girl's actions in this situation. Whether or not he purchased alcohol for her she made the decision to drink it. So far I haven't heard any reports that while exposing himself to her Ben also managed to hold her mouth open and pour shots down her throat. That would be like if I got arrested for doing drugs, but then I argued that I only snorted that pile of cocaine because somebody else bought it for me. It would be rude not to, right?

Why does she not have any responsibility in the fact that she allowed herself to get so sloppy drunk that she couldn't clearly recall her actions that night? It's not like he slipped her a roofi (although I'm sure that will be the next report the media conjures up). She knew exactly what she was doing especially since she followed him from bar to bar.

Excellent points. This is being portrayed as Evil Ben rapes Innocent Student. How innocent is this woman exactly? Followed Ben across three bars with "fuck me Ben" (basically) written on her shirt? The more you learn about the details, the more I sympathize with a guy who's being slandered in the most awful way day-in, day-out.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #66 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 08:53 »

The media needs to stfu.

True. But the media is now anyone with online access.

So if they're not gonna STFU, you at least need to counter. Is there no one in Ben's camp that is smarter than a 5th grader? The silence was deafening. Rooneys trying to protect their brand. Rog trying to protect his. And Ben doing fuck all to keep his from going down the shitter. Maybe the Rooneys told him to shut up, but I'm not going to wait until it's all over then have some lawyer tell M&M, "by the way, none of that was true." His decisions post-GA bathroom dribble haven't been any better.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #67 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 09:01 »

The media needs to stfu.

So if they're not gonna STFU, you at least need to counter. Is there no one in Ben's camp that is smarter than a 5th grader? The silence was deafening. Rooneys trying to protect their brand. Rog trying to protect his. And Ben doing fuck all to keep his from going down the shitter. Maybe the Rooneys told him to shut up, but I'm not going to wait until it's all over then have some lawyer tell M&M, "by the way, none of that was true." His decisions post-GA bathroom dribble haven't been any better.

aside from Ben's PR d-bag that insisted he go for the down and out look for his statement after the charges were not going to be filed, someone made the right decision to keep him quiet.  Him speaking his side would only make him look more like a sleaze-ball most likely than he already is portrayed.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Manimal

« Reply #68 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 09:02 »

The media needs to stfu.

I think Ben was in a lose-lose situation with respect to speaking out vs. not speaking out.

It would have been hard for him to do so without accusing the girl of either lying or of being too drunk to rememeber any details of that night. The first tack ("she's lying") would only reinforce the image that Ben's a privileged superstar who accepts no accountability. The second ("she was too drunk") raises the question of what Ben did or did not do to help get her drunk. Either way, he'd have to parse the details of that night, which wouldn't make him look good.

All that said, I agree, Ben should speak out at this point, to the effect of saying, "I was a young guy out having fun, got mixed up with a woman who I got really drunk with, and that's it. Now I'm being accused of rape, which is incredibly hurtful." Etc. etc. Maybe he has an opportunity to turn this media story around a little bit, but then again, we live in puritanical times w/r/t sex, so a lot of people are going to continue thinking of this 20-year-old as an innocent "girl" and Ben as a predator. Who knows what the hell he should do.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #69 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 09:06 »

He should wait for the dust to clear.  Do what Rog wants him to...i.e. evaluations.  Then in a few months, before training camp, he should some out and say he made a mistake in putting himself in a bad situation...yadda, yadda, yadda. 

Sit his 4 games and then lead us to the playoffs!

I wonder if another SB would shut these BB naysayers the fuck up.  IMHO there are more than a few reporters that owe him an apology.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: