Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 20:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Per Adam Schefter.... Roethlisberger for top 10 pick?  (Read 4296 times)
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 16:46 »

I'm a little concerned... I was just watching ESPN and Tim Hasselback was on talking about the suspension. He basically said that he didn't understand the suspension because Ben hasn't ever been arrested or charged with a crime and he questioned Goodell's decision making in this instance for meting out such a harsh punishment on a guy who has never been arrested. He also said that he thought the fact that the rumors were that the Steelers were only asking for a first round pick as compensation for Ben indicated to him that it was more of a scare tactic for Ben to send him the message that he's not above being traded if he messes up again. Now, all of these statements may seem like a positive to you, but what concerns me is that these are my opinions exactly and things I've been saying for days or weeks so either Tim Hasselback has my house/office/phone bugged or Tim Hasselback is in my head! Both scary propositions!

You should be afraid!
Either option, and the fact that Tim Hasselback is being reasonable, are too terrifying to consider!!

I'm still the one with the boobs.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 16:49 »

So, I keep hearing that "Art II is open to listening to offers for Ben", but he hasn't actually said that in anything I've read.  I've just seen him quoted as saying we don't discuss the draft this close and we're open to doing what it takes to make our team better.

Has anybody else actually seen/heard the man say "We're open to the possibility of trading Ben to some other team"??

Or are the asshats in the media just making shit up again??

Bubby
N00b

« Reply #42 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 17:17 »

Wow, I guess I'm the only person who thinks they should trade him.

From the business side: If he fucks up again, he's worthless. Get something while you still can. This will hurt the team's revenue stream. Think women not buying pink #7 jerseys. Of course, the games will still sell out, but I think this damages their image and impacts merchandizing measurably. I also suspect we may have already gotten the best years of Ben's career.

From the personal side: doesn't anyone want to feel good about who they're cheering for? I do. There's an emerging profile for Ben that he's a sexual predator. That's for real. Maybe there isn't an awareness of how frequently sexual assaults, including rapes, are not successfully prosecuted. It's very, very common, especially if the victim isn't inclined to work with prosecutors. So, the fact that he wasn't charged is fairly moot. I mean, there's a very high probability that this dude is a rapist given what's been put out there. At best, he's a scum bag who thinks he's untouchable. I gave Ben the benefit of the doubt in the Nevada case. And that should have been a sufficient wake up call. For most it would have been. Think Kobe Bryant, squeaky clean ever since.

The Rooneys gave this guy the biggest contract in franchise history, invested 100 million fucking dollars in him and gave him the keys to the castle. By exercising repeated poor judgement in the off-season, by living only for himself (not his team and the responsibilities entrusted to him as a leader) he's essentially thrown it back in their face. I have no problem with them trading Ben. In fact, I think they should.  

Kwalla
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #43 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 17:19 »

My issue with Ben is really... his startling inability to make good choices.  First the motorcycle.. then these two "harassment" situations.  While he hasn't broken any laws (or at least nothing can be proven), he's not exactly inspiring confidence in his off-field ability to make decisions.  Considering he's paid a ton of cash to make top quality choices.. that's quite concerning.   The argument to keep him is... who f'ing cares what he does off-field?  His job is to win games and whatever else he does, oh well -- provided he keeps from crossing over the illegal line.  I guess I'm just not a "win at whatever cost" sort of fan.  I'm good with the suspension. 

Also, I think Larry Johnson got suspended for a game for spitting - no arrest for him.  Or was there something domestic?

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2010 at 17:28 by Kwalla » Logged
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #44 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 17:19 »

We're not trading for Asamungahole...have you seen his contract?  $45 million over three years, $28 million guaranteed.  If the contract is kept all three years, all $45 million is guaranteed.

If ARII trades Ben, it'll be hard for me to watch the Steelers for a long while.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 17:29 »

According to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, the Raiders are in contact with the Steelers about a trade for Ben Roethlisberger.

La Canfora says Oakland "might be (the) only real option" for Pittsburgh if the Steelers are truly prepared to wash their hands of the 28-year-old QB. The Raiders, smartly (for once), appear to have realized that JaMarcus Russell is a bust, and very arguably the biggest in NFL history. The Steelers might ask for Nnamdi Asomugha in addition to Oakland's No. 8 overall pick.

Throw in next year's number one as well and I'd start to listen.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 19:06 »

From the business side: If he fucks up again, he's worthless. Get something while you still can. This will hurt the team's revenue stream. Think women not buying pink #7 jerseys. Of course, the games will still sell out, but I think this damages their image and impacts merchandizing measurably. I also suspect we may have already gotten the best years of Ben's career.

From the personal side: doesn't anyone want to feel good about who they're cheering for? I do. There's an emerging profile for Ben that he's a sexual predator. That's for real. Maybe there isn't an awareness of how frequently sexual assaults, including rapes, are not successfully prosecuted. It's very, very common, especially if the victim isn't inclined to work with prosecutors. So, the fact that he wasn't charged is fairly moot. I mean, there's a very high probability that this dude is a rapist given what's been put out there. At best, he's a scum bag who thinks he's untouchable. I gave Ben the benefit of the doubt in the Nevada case. And that should have been a sufficient wake up call. For most it would have been. Think Kobe Bryant, squeaky clean ever since.

The Rooneys gave this guy the biggest contract in franchise history, invested 100 million fucking dollars in him and gave him the keys to the castle. By exercising repeated poor judgement in the off-season, by living only for himself (not his team and the responsibilities entrusted to him as a leader) he's essentially thrown it back in their face. I have no problem with them trading Ben. In fact, I think they should.  

Dude.
You have a picture of Bubby Brister as your avatar.
That's proof that your judgement can't be trusted.

The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #47 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 19:21 »

If they deal BB it better be for more than the crap I am hearing like Ben and #18 for #8.   If it is the Raiders they need to get their 1 and 2 as well as 2 next year.  They also need to throw in that CB.  This would still suck, but would make for an interesting draft.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #48 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 19:29 »

Dude.

Actually, I kind of agree with the dude.  All of us on this board would have problems with Ben if he showed the same kind of casualness with team rules; yet somehow we allow his off-field stuff fly by sloughing it off on the system.  Oh well, if the courts couldn't prove it... .  The judgments of the legal system do not supercede or replace using your own mind.

I love the fact that Ben wins us some ballgames.  I am aware that such QB's come around only once every 30 years or so per franchise.  But this is a business decision we're talking about here; the Rooneys undoubtedly feel that they have a brand to protect, a brand that not only survived a decade of losing but emerged stronger than ever.  

So somewhere deep down, yeah, I hope they trade Roethlisberger.  Of course I hope they can get return on him (2 1st rounders would be the baseline here for me), and if they can't, keep him.  But I will never feel at ease with the guy. And I certainly will never paint another #7 coozie again.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2010 at 19:38 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #49 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 19:51 »

Dude.

Actually, I kind of agree with the dude.  All of us on this board would have problems with Ben if he showed the same kind of casualness with team rules; yet somehow we allow his off-field stuff fly by sloughing it off on the system.  Oh well, if the courts couldn't prove it... .  The judgments of the legal system do not supercede or replace using your own mind.

I love the fact that Ben wins us some ballgames.  I am aware that such QB's come around only once every 30 years or so per franchise.  But this is a business decision we're talking about here; the Rooneys undoubtedly feel that they have a brand to protect, a brand that not only survived a decade of losing but emerged stronger than ever.  

So somewhere deep down, yeah, I hope they trade Roethlisberger.  Of course I hope they can get return on him (2 1st rounders would be the baseline here for me), and if they can't, keep him.  But I will never feel at ease with the guy. And I certainly will never paint another #7 coozie again.

I'm not gonna disagree with the business side.  If he fucks up again, yep, we lose on both fronts.

But I'm erring on the side of "what if NOTHING actually happened in either case"?
It's possible.  The Nevada shit is suspect at best.
The Milledgeville eyewitness statements are wildly inconsistent.
Am I being a Ben apologist?  Maybe.
But I'm also looking at it from a defense attorney standpoint.  If you pay any attention to The Innocence Project, it's amazing how many people have been convicted of crimes that they absolutely did not commit.
And I have personally seen dozens of people charged with crimes by vindictive ex-lovers, wives, husbands, etc.  So, absent stone cold evidence that something, anything actually happened with either of these women....I'm unwilling to throw him under the bus.

Because I remember Bubby Brister.  And Neil O'Donnell.  Kordell Stewart.  Tommy Maddox.

And I'm unwilling to think of the possibility of 20+ years without a Lombardi.

But it's not my decision.  It's the Rooney's.  Godspeed to them.

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: