Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 28, 2014 at 18:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *** Official 2010 NFL Draft Thread ***  (Read 9846 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 20:38 »

I would have traded back regardless of whether Pouncey would still be there: value.  

Why not get on the horn and see if anyone wants to trade up?  We sent that card up like it was on fire.  FFS, the Steelers were rumored heavily to love MP, he'd better be worth it, I still think you try to get an extra R2 or R3 from someone in a R1 full of action.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #31 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 20:42 »

I like the pick. Couple of thoughts, a solid Center and anchor for the OL for years to come. Also, did they bring Buluga in? Is it possible they didn't do their due diligence on him anticipating him to go MUCH earlier? Went with the guy they knew. I could be way off base.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 20:43 »

Like I said before, Steelers trying to fix the line inside out instead of outside in.  Premium is on OTs who can play LT, possibly, as it always has been, not C who can flex to OG.  You take Bulaga, he plays RG or Colon moves in, a few years in Bulaga assumes LT.  You draft a C in R3/4 or next year.  Now we're set with the same shit at OT.  OK well.  Glad we telegraphed the immediate need, especially a year after brazenly wanting Mack or Wood, and settling for Hood, who really was never a 3-4 DE but will have to be now.  I'm not sure the magic is still there in R1 for Colbert, frankly.  Timmons is an OK pick, Hood is an OK pick, neither scream sensational value, and MP reinforces that.  

Hope I'm wrong and he's some crazy combination of Dirt and Big Red.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 20:43 »

I like the pick. Couple of thoughts, a solid Center and anchor for the OL for years to come. Also, did they bring Buluga in? Is it possible they didn't do their due diligence on him anticipating him to go MUCH earlier? Went with the guy they knew. I could be way off base.

They did bring in Bulaga.  Something in the workouts must have put them off him.  That's a thought.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #34 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 20:52 »

It's all in the names.  Pouncey is a much greater action name.  He's gonna pounce on the blocker.  "Go out there and pounce on that motherfucker across from you, Maurkice.  Pounce that bitch right outta the picture."

Then there's Bulaga who makes me think of a whale.  Sorta slow and bloated.  Whales don't play well in space as they say, always having to help chip with a dolphin or something.

Give me a pouncer any day.  Eff the whales.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #35 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 20:54 »

I like the pick. Couple of thoughts, a solid Center and anchor for the OL for years to come. Also, did they bring Bulaga in? Is it possible they didn't do their due diligence on him anticipating him to go MUCH earlier? Went with the guy they knew. I could be way off base.

They did bring in Bulaga.  Something in the workouts must have put them off him.  That's a thought.
Apparently happy with the tackle play. I don't mind rebuilding line from the inside out though.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #36 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 21:04 »

I really think this kid can be an anchor at C for years to come.  High character guy.

Pouncey started 39-of-41 games in which he appeared at Florida, providing excellent pass protection while using his explosion off the snap to regularly attack second-level defenders. His consistency and dominance at the line of scrimmage helped him become the first player in school history to capture the Rimington Trophy, given annually to the nation's best center.

One of the toughest offensive linemen in the collegiate game, it was fitting that he recorded one of his best blocking efforts in his final appearance for the Gators, despite being in obvious pain. Prior to the 2010 Sugar Bowl, Pouncey spent five-plus hours at a local hospital because of kidney stones. He received a CT scan which showed no kidney obstruction, got some IV fluid and suited up. He would hold the Cincinnati defensive line to no tackles, record seven knockdowns that included two touchdown-resulting blocks and graded 94 percent for blocking consistency.

At Lakeland High, Pouncey was rated among the nation's top offensive guard recruits according to Scout.com (15th) and Rivals.com (15th). He was one of 16 offensive linemen named to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super Southern 100 squad. He was also a two-time All-State selection.

As a senior, he and his twin brother, Mike, helped lead Lakeland to its 45th consecutive victory, third-consecutive Class 5A state championship and second-straight USA Today national championship in 2006. They were part of an offensive line that blocked for a 4,000-yard rushing team that season.

Pouncey enrolled at Florida in 2006, spurning scholarship offers from Florida State, Clemson, Miami and Michigan. He started 11 of 13 games at right offensive guard, becoming the seventh true freshman in school history to start a season opener for the Gators.

He also saw playing time at his eventual position, center, earning Game Champion honors in the Louisiana State clash. He was named Freshman All-American first-team by College Football News and Rivals.com and was a member of the Freshman All-Southeastern Conference squads selected by the league's coaches and Associated Press. He graded no lower than 83% for blocking consistency in any of his eleven starting assignments.

Pouncey was a Sophomore All-American choice by College Football News in 2008. The Associated Press All-SEC honorable mention twice earned league Lineman of the Week honors (vs. Arkansas and LSU), as he graded at least 90 percent for blocking consistency in six contests. Despite performing early in the season with lingering effects from a fall camp ankle sprain, he would start all 14 contests at center.

In May 2009, Pouncey underwent shoulder surgery to repair a labrum issue that would prevent him from participating in off-season training for three months. He was fully recovered by the season opener, receiving the highest blocking consistency grade for any major college interior lineman (91.57%). He earned All-American and All-SEC first-team honors, as he did not allow any quarterback sacks or pressures while participating in 919 offensive snaps.

Unlike his brother, Mike, Pouncey decided that it was time to test his wares in the National Football League. A week after the Sugar Bowl, the center announced that he would forgo his final year of eligibility to enter the 2010 NFL Draft.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #37 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 21:09 »

Wow, the Broncos move *up* to get Timmy!?  I'll say it again, "Wow."

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
TwistedLemon

« Reply #38 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 21:10 »

Denver drafter for Character after getting rid of Marshall

"My reality check bounced"
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 21:11 »

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the pick.  If you watched much of Florida the last year, Tebow had TONS of time, and Pouncey was a big part of that.

I think we'll ultimately be very happy with this.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: