Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 30, 2014 at 05:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Observations on the linemen at the combine  (Read 770 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Feb 27, 2010 at 11:27 »

Anyone else watching the combine? Here's what I think so far of group 1. Obviously, this is just drills and has very little bearing on how good of a football player these guys are, but this stuff goes into the equation too.

The most fluid guys of group 1 are Bruce Cambell (MD-OT) and Brown (USC-OT). They slide the best and look like the best atheletes of the group. Definitely LT prospects. Bulaga comes in a close third to the first two. The drill where the coach points left to right, forward and back, these guys looked like the best of the group.

Davis (Rut-OT) does not look like he has the feet to be a LT, but he's got the biggest butt and thighs of the group and looks like a mauler of a RT.

Iupati (Ida-G0 and Brown are the fastest guys turning the corner and pulling, but Iupati doesn't slide all that well in the drill where they mimic pass protection. He's a RG straight ahead type. His physique is probably the most impressive of the group.

Eric Cook is slow and stiff

Byers (I forgot about him) (USC-C) is no Dermonti Dawson, short legs and stiff in pass blocking, but he looks very powerful.

Selvish Capers looks slow on the slide and even in the straightaway.

Kyle Calloway looks fat and slow.

Brandon Carter surprised the heck out of me by showing the best leaping ability out of the group. Not sure that's gonna be all that useful blocking, but it shows he's not a terrible athelete. He might be a project that might work out for someone.

Duchase flows well for a big guy. Might not be a bad pick in the mid rounds at RG.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2010 at 11:29 »

Group 2 observations:

Russel Okung (OSU-OT) isn't helping himself at the combine IMO. He looks disjointed, and isn't showing the quick feet I would expect out of a top flight LT. Although, he has huge feet like Leon Searcy had, and that'll help with ballance. He hurt himself. Looks like a groin pull. Since he was having a bad day, it's gonna look like he wussed out. He cost himself a TON of money today IMO.

JD Walton (Bayl-G/C) Looks surprisingly quick in the drills. May not be a bad 2nd or 3rd round pick for someone that needs a center. He's not as quick as Pauncey, but IMO he's not tha far behind.

Trent Williams (OU-OT) is the most impressive guy in the drills I've seen. He ran a freaking 4.82 40, and he looks like he has flawless form and super quick feet. He is really helping himself here.

Sam Young has a good physique for a tall guy, and pretty good feet.

Pauncey (Fla-C) Looks really quick in the drills. Looks like he could pull well from the C spot. Keeps nice and low, and shuffles his feet very quickly. He's helping himself. Reminds me of Dermonti Dawson.

Shelley Smith looks agile for a short guy, and looks like he'd a a good pulling guard. Looks quick in the drills. Smooth.

Marshall Newhouse has slow feet. He's not helping himself.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2010 at 19:29 »

By the way, I stick by the statemnet that he reminds me of Dawson.

leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2010 at 19:58 »

That would be a good thing.
 clap

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Ytownsteelfan

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2010 at 20:41 »

That would be a good thing.
 clap

That would be a GREAT thing
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: