Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 25, 2014 at 01:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UDFA signings  (Read 1263 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 16:20 »

I believe they added Witten of UConn to make 90

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 17:11 »

Taylor played MLB in HS and first year at VT; switched to DL; now a FB?  Don't know when that last conversion was made, but FB ain't an Arians priority, so good luck with that.  But three VT players in the draft and aftermath.

Brooks is the 12th rated OG (243 overall), ahead of guys taken in the Draftapalooza.  Not as bulked as our other OGs, nor as slow.  (Incidentally, Essex is now listed on the roster as an OG, 324#, which is what Urbik is, 323#.  Essex apparently uses the same roster scale Hampton's used for the past few seasons, cuz he's easily 350#.  Kemo's listed at 344#.  Other OGs listed improbably low: Colon, at 315#, and Foster, at 325#.  These last two are listed on the roster as OT, but should only be that in an emergency, which is what state our OL has been in for the past few years now.)  Given the constipated mess that is the OG spot, not even throwing Pouncey into the consideration, I fail to understand why we would even bring him in. 

Thornton's the wrong KU safety, but you know, we were stockpiling LBs.  He's listed as the 35th best SS at NFLDS, which ain't gonna cut it no matter how deep this safety class is.  Cromartie-Smith, some actual relation to Antonio and Dommy, is listed 30th, apparently lacking the speed gene his cousins got. 

Jolly was on my radar for a R7 pick, as a RT, but I think he's a very, very long shot.  Frame, but not feet.  Waist-bender, in Mayock-speak.  Rated the 27th OT at NFLDS, so really had no place on my radar after all.

Cordarrow Thompson, I have no idea where he fits in a 3-4.  Pass.

Trump, didn't we just draft a center?  And a guard?  And a guard last year?  We have three centers and a pen full of rhino OGs.  What, no more LBs to stockpile?

Witten's the 15th ranked DE at NFLDS, moot point as he's OLB in this schema.  Which, you know, we're sorely lacking OLBs now.  Seriously.  KEI doesn't suggest he's going to be a surprise, either. 

Wiki has Ciron Black listed as a Steeler, so I guess that's confirmed.  He's no NFL LT, no way, no how.  He's assuredly an OG only, which means in the Steelers system he can also play RT.  Surprise!  We're again woefully understocked with fat, slow OGs!  Throw another in the rhino pen! 

So, UDFAs don't appear to have anything worth anything, unless Cromartie lives up to the bloodlines, and day 3 was an overfull catbox.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 17:37 »

+10 to what he said

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 09:22 »

Finny is King.

I understand all the talk of "Let's see how it shakes out" and "Give it a chance."  But the more I look at this draft/UDFA class, the more confused I am about exactly what the Steelers are thinking.

They took a R1 guy that they needed, but would probably have been there in R2.  They passed on a pretty good R1 tackle to take him.  They took a guy in R2 that may well have been there in R3.  Don't know anything about the WR in R3.  Then they proceeded to sign two more OLBs.  And took a couple of OLBs in UDFA.

To fill our need at corner, they brought back a guy who is 29 and had a terrible season in 09.  I like him and it wasn't a horrible move, but it's a bandaid on a bazooka wound. 

They brought back two wideouts who are several years older than they were in their heyday with the Steelers.  They brought back an inside LB for depth that they let go a year before.  I like the depth, experience, and the whole "Steeler Guy" thing, but you can't follow up those moves by filling the rest of your roster with OLBs and guards.  LeBeau is a mad scientist and all that, but what's he going to do with this?  Line up one DL, seven LBs, a corner and two safeties?

Let me also toss in that our RB depth is not the greatest in the world.  At best, it is unproven.  Maybe Dwyer can make a difference, but he would be the best Colbert late-rounder in several years.

At Oline, we have 1.5 tackles.  That's right, one and a half legit tackles on the roster.  I'm not sure which one is more legit.  Starks is a tacle who is underachieving and Colon is a guard who is overachieving.  But what in the crap are we going to do if one goes down?

Most experts gave us a reasonable grade for this draft.  I have to say that most experts, IMO, are way off.   
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2010 at 09:34 by Preacherman0 » Logged

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 12:02 »

They took a R1 guy that they needed, but would probably have been there in R2. 

I agree with everything you said except this.  I don't think Pouncey would have made it out of the 20's.  Sure they maybe could have traded down, but why risk it if he was their guy?

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: