Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 29, 2014 at 01:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What positions should be better this year than last year?  (Read 961 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Apr 26, 2010 at 11:53 »

Getting Troy back and Allen as the backup is one. Aaron Smith is the second. McFadden is a slight improvement. Pouncey should step in right away (I know they're saying they're gonna start him out at guard, but I don't believe he'll be there long). That it?

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 11:58 »

I think we can expect to be a bit better at every level of the defense.

On the D-line, Smith comes back, and Hood should take a big step forward as a second-year man.

At LB,  Foote adds some immediate quality playing time, Worlids might offer a little pass rush, Timmons might improve.
Farrior is the X factor. His productivity may hold steady, it may slip a bit, or his play could fall of a cliff in a hurry.

At DB, not only do we get Troy back, improve depth slightly with Allen, but CB should be improved with McFadden back and two rookies last year who might take significant steps forward this year.

All in all, we should see improvement on defense all the way through.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2010 at 12:01 by Manimal » Logged
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 12:09 »

Farrior is the X factor. His productivity may hold steady, it may slip a bit, or his play could fall of a cliff in a hurry.

lets hope he doesnt have the assignment of watching Ray Rice this season even for just one play.  definitely show his age and lack of speed

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 12:25 »

One position that WONT be better?  WR.  Considering opposing D's put their best pass defender on SH last year, I think Wallace's production goes down, and I envision 75% of completed passes being 6-8 yards.

No runing game, limited passing game = Ben getting killed trying to get the ball downfield.

Thread jack over.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 17:39 »

One position that WONT be better?  WR.  Considering opposing D's put their best pass defender on SH last year, I think Wallace's production goes down, and I envision 75% of completed passes being 6-8 yards.

No runing game, limited passing game = Ben getting killed trying to get the ball downfield.

Thread jack over.

Well, you gotta figure Wallace will get a year better too, so I don't think his production will decline. And ARE isn't a HORRIBLE slot receiver, he's just bad. Of course, Sweed is gonna come through and save the day.  yeh

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
Bogman
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 01:49 »

Your right about the WR position but I don't know if it'll be that bad.  I think Heath and Rashard can be utilized a little more in the passing game, and maybe Heath can get some big gainers down the middle.  The secondary HAS to be better than last year, maybe Keenan Lewis or Joe Burnett will pan out.  I think that the special teams has to be better this year too.  Tomlin will probably make it a point to emphasize tackling on kickoffs and punts in training camp.

The Channel Cast, bringing you comedy, news, sports and entertainment
www.thechannelcast.co m
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 07:55 »

Thread jack over.

Well, you gotta figure Wallace will get a year better too, so I don't think his production will decline. And ARE isn't a HORRIBLE slot receiver, he's just bad. Of course, Sweed is gonna come through and save the day.  yeh

What I'm saying is Wallace will likely draw the coverage Santanio was getting, and his production will decrease due to that, not a drop off in skill or anything.  With lack of WR depth, Wallace will draw the opponents top cover guy and not the 2nd stringer.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 08:13 »

What I'm saying is Wallace will likely draw the coverage Santanio was getting, and his production will decrease due to that, not a drop off in skill or anything.  With lack of WR depth, Wallace will draw the opponents top cover guy and not the 2nd stringer.

C'mon man!

It's gonna be BFL to The Sweed, all day long.

Chicks dig the long ball.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 14:59 »

Man, since my back's been feeling better with the warm weather, there are alot of positions that are better than last year.

:venusbutterfly:

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2010 at 16:02 »

C'mon man!

It's gonna be BFL to The Sweed, all day long.

Chicks dig the long ball.

Or as Ben would say, "Dig my balls, bitches!"

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: