Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 01, 2014 at 21:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 [20]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *** Official 2010 NFL Draft Thread ***  (Read 9036 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #190 on: Apr 24, 2010 at 19:01 »

Damon cromarti smith safety Texas el paso signed udfa

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #191 on: Apr 24, 2010 at 19:35 »

Ok, is it possible that that this weird defensive draft is a foray into building a 4-3?

Or are all of these DE's too undersized for 4-3 NFL defensive ends, and too big to play 4-3 linebackers?

I realize that is probably a reach, but I can't believe that our FO is so fucking incompetent. They must have some kind of trick up their sleeve, eh?

Or is Colbert just trying to destroy the team before he leaves to join Cowher?

I'm very frustrated with this draft.

Colbert's had a few drafts that netted just a couple key players, the rest trash.  I've come to realize that he's good at the ends of the spectrum (R1, sometimes R2 and R3; and good at UDFA) whereas the middle is a pile of suck.  Seriously, you could watch zero game film and just read measurables and come up with better late round prospects.  It's not all depth of roster either: we've had DL depth needs and McBean types washing out, and OL depth (and starters, FFS) with the likes of Bo Lacy and Cam Stephenson not cracking the nut.

So, great on the hits, but seriously?  I think we're missing huge chunks of value, year after year.  Great to have won 2 SBs under this regime, but who's to say we couldn't have been the dynasty team the Cheats allegedly were?  And with whiffs like the 2010 draft, we could be entering a dark hole from which it will be difficult to emerge.  Signing back the XL players won't help, except the way a Band-Aid helps where stitches are needed.  We're bleeding out.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #192 on: Apr 24, 2010 at 21:50 »

Steelers
Damon Cromartie-Smith, S, UTEP
AJ Trump, OT, Miami
Cordarrow Thompson, DE, Virginia Tech
Andre Dixon, RB, UConn
Daryll Clark QB, Penn State

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #193 on: Apr 24, 2010 at 23:01 »

Its interesting to read fan reactions sometimes.  On almost every Steeler board this draft has been detested.  Nevertheless, Mel Kiper just gave it a B; with only 6 teams getting higher grades.

Almost every fan hates the Worilds pick, but Bill Polian said he was one of the best two pass rushers in the draft.  NFL Network loves the pick apparently.  Millen said it was a great pick.  Even Wexell loved the pick.

What were the three biggest problems last year?  Historically bad special teams.  Terrible interior line play.  Porous secondary.

Well LBs tend to play a big role on special teams, and we had little young depth there.  Remember - historically bad special teams.  Second, interior line play - Pouncey.  Porous secondary.  Polamalu will be back, healthy presumably.  Clark won't be asked to do too much.  Burnett and Lewis are now fully indoctrinated.  McFadden is back.  Hopefully Gay recovers from his SB hangover.  One draft pick (whom I actually might dislike more than any of our other picks, since apparently he can't tackle).

On the surface, more LBs seem stupid - until you remember the historically bad special teams.  There is also absolutely no young LB depth at all - our backups are aged 27, 28 and up.  Do the the draftees have starting positions to vie for?  No, but also remember that on passing downs we only use 2 DL and often have 3-4 LBs on the field - and Farrior is one of those 3-4 guys.  There is room for the draftees to play, and some rest for Harrison and Woodley might mean they would remain fresher.

To me the failure to get a second prime OL is most troublesome, but given the chronic neglect of the line for years its hard to complain too much given that we used the #1 on Pouncey.

Is the lack of DB draftees troublesome - sure, but the secondary fell apart because of Troy's injury, and it will fall apart again if he gets hurt again - and there is nothing that we can do about that because Polamalu is great.  I think we have to assume that Burnett and Lewis are showing strong to the coaching staff, and that perhaps Gay is indeed going to bounce back.  

Finally, look at the SI draft projections.  Our class, as a whole, projected as a #1, a #2, a 2/3, a 3, a 3/4, a 4, a 4/5, a 6, and some 7s.  Taking those draft projections and comparing them to our actual slots means we created a 2/3 and a 3/4 out of thin air (or if you like, they were 5th round selections).  

This was a good draft that addressed two of our three major needs, with our third major need being partially fixed through the return of McFadden, hopefully some good health, and the maturation of last year's draftees.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2010 at 23:17 by jcharding » Logged

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Manimal

« Reply #194 on: Apr 24, 2010 at 23:54 »

The crux of this draft will concern passing on a legit LT prospect to take a G/C in round 1.

When you look at the draft over the last 10 years or so, one thing pops out: the best tackles are taken in round 1. More consistently the case than it is for other positions, as if you need a certain baseline athleticism plus experience/coaching to enter the NFL as a very good tackle.

After round 3, especially, you won't find top-notch tackles. (Obviously, both are tackles were drafted after this point, but I think this supports the claim.)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #195 on: Apr 25, 2010 at 06:59 »

Its interesting to read fan reactions sometimes.  On almost every Steeler board this draft has been detested.  Nevertheless, Mel Kiper just gave it a B; with only 6 teams getting higher grades.

Almost every fan hates the Worilds pick, but Bill Polian said he was one of the best two pass rushers in the draft.  NFL Network loves the pick apparently.  Millen said it was a great pick.  Even Wexell loved the pick.

What were the three biggest problems last year?  Historically bad special teams.  Terrible interior line play.  Porous secondary.

Well LBs tend to play a big role on special teams, and we had little young depth there.  Remember - historically bad special teams.  Second, interior line play - Pouncey.  Porous secondary.  Polamalu will be back, healthy presumably.  Clark won't be asked to do too much.  Burnett and Lewis are now fully indoctrinated.  McFadden is back.  Hopefully Gay recovers from his SB hangover.  One draft pick (whom I actually might dislike more than any of our other picks, since apparently he can't tackle).

On the surface, more LBs seem stupid - until you remember the historically bad special teams.  There is also absolutely no young LB depth at all - our backups are aged 27, 28 and up.  Do the the draftees have starting positions to vie for?  No, but also remember that on passing downs we only use 2 DL and often have 3-4 LBs on the field - and Farrior is one of those 3-4 guys.  There is room for the draftees to play, and some rest for Harrison and Woodley might mean they would remain fresher.

To me the failure to get a second prime OL is most troublesome, but given the chronic neglect of the line for years its hard to complain too much given that we used the #1 on Pouncey.

Is the lack of DB draftees troublesome - sure, but the secondary fell apart because of Troy's injury, and it will fall apart again if he gets hurt again - and there is nothing that we can do about that because Polamalu is great.  I think we have to assume that Burnett and Lewis are showing strong to the coaching staff, and that perhaps Gay is indeed going to bounce back.  

Finally, look at the SI draft projections.  Our class, as a whole, projected as a #1, a #2, a 2/3, a 3, a 3/4, a 4, a 4/5, a 6, and some 7s.  Taking those draft projections and comparing them to our actual slots means we created a 2/3 and a 3/4 out of thin air (or if you like, they were 5th round selections).  

This was a good draft that addressed two of our three major needs, with our third major need being partially fixed through the return of McFadden, hopefully some good health, and the maturation of last year's draftees.

A couple of things....

We don't like Kiper 'round here

Taking one LB isn't stupid, taking 3 LBs with 1 likely being available in the 5th round and beyond and the other a UDFA, that's stupid.  Sylvester won't make the team out of camp (think Mike Humpal).

The three LBs won't make all make the team, just as both WRs won't make the team.  Crez Butler has no shot to make the team.  The frustrating thing for me with Colbert is that after the 3rd round, he drafts for the practice squad. IMO, this is more true this year with the signing of multiple old guys like ARE, Foote, and Battle on the roster.  Add McFadden too, though it is a swap with Townsend for a space....though again, it likely leaves no room for Butler if Lewis and Burnett are to stay.  It adds depth for next year but isn't a good long-term approach.  One or two vets, sure.  3 or 4, no.

It was a lackluster draft, especially after Rd 2...at least for me.  I base a lot of that on available roster space for most of these guys.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #196 on: Apr 25, 2010 at 07:26 »

Millen said it was a great pick.

And that's when I stopped reading.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jcharding

« Reply #197 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 08:27 »

A couple of things....

We don't like Kiper 'round here

Taking one LB isn't stupid, taking 3 LBs with 1 likely being available in the 5th round and beyond and the other a UDFA, that's stupid.  Sylvester won't make the team out of camp (think Mike Humpal).

The three LBs won't make all make the team, just as both WRs won't make the team.  Crez Butler has no shot to make the team.  The frustrating thing for me with Colbert is that after the 3rd round, he drafts for the practice squad. IMO, this is more true this year with the signing of multiple old guys like ARE, Foote, and Battle on the roster.  Add McFadden too, though it is a swap with Townsend for a space....though again, it likely leaves no room for Butler if Lewis and Burnett are to stay.  It adds depth for next year but isn't a good long-term approach.  One or two vets, sure.  3 or 4, no.

It was a lackluster draft, especially after Rd 2...at least for me.  I base a lot of that on available roster space for most of these guys.

But its not just Kiper.  Every single draft grade has been similar.  I have yet to find anyone who graded the Steelers as a "loser".  The SI grades are particularly interesting - we outdrafted the projections overall - and that is before you consider McFadden and Gary Coleman.

I understand the dismay about the LBs - but again, historically bad special teams.  It was the biggest problem area on the team last year.  It likely cost them multiple wins last year, either directly or indirectly.  All these LBs are a pretty clear indication that Andre Frazier et al have a very low chance of making the team, and that several of them will be gone.  The draftees will play special teams in Y1, and thereafter they will rotate into the typical defensive sets - especially on passing downs. 

Bill Polian said that Worilds specifically was one of only two pass rushers in the entire draft that the Colts regarded highly; that only those two guys had Freeney potential.  Lots of other analysts said similar things. 

Overall, I am willing to wager that this draft class will have a bigger faster impact than any draft class in several years.  Pouncey will likely start from Day 1 and substantially help the interior of the line.  Special teams will have a significant change.  Lefty will start Games 1-4.  Clark, McFadden and Gay will be slotted properly with the return of Troy.  The draft process this year substantially improved the team - and thats before we even consider the effect of Dwyer or anyone else.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #198 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 09:30 »

I read somewhere this morning that (it might have been Rick Reilly) from 1997 - 2007 The Steelers draft picks produced 35 player probowl seasons, 2nd to only the Colts with 37.

That wouldn't evaluate taking guys waaaaay to soon, but not much to complain about for sure.

The Browns had 4 player probowl seasons over the same period.  NICE!!!!!!!

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #199 on: Apr 26, 2010 at 10:48 »

Hopefully Gay recovers from his SB hangover.

Hangover?Huh?  I just assumed he was drunk all the time from the way he played.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Pages: 1 ... 19 [20]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: