Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 18, 2014 at 21:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HABS-PENS  (Read 3650 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Apr 28, 2010 at 20:58 »

Wow, I never saw this series as even a possibilty a week ago.

Nor did I forsee the Pens "winning" home ice in the East.  The Caps have to be thinking about shitcanning Boudreau, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ovechicken gets some say in that.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2010 at 06:49 »

First off, I gotta give props to Merman1983 for calling the Habs upset over the Caps and O-chokes-kin.  I am humbled by your powers of prognostication.

I have to admit I'm a little torn.  I loved seeing Washington humiliated like this.  The look on that fat greasy haired Leonsis was priceless.  A part of me wanted to see the Pens knock them out in the conference finals.  My other concern is the Pens failures against trap teams and Montreal was trapping the hell out of the Caps.  I think the big difference will be the Pens ability to play more a physical game than the Caps did.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2010 at 09:09 »

Yeah, Ovie's the best.  :rolleyes:

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2010 at 09:09 »

I gotta give props to Merman1983 for calling the Habs upset

he was the only one who stuck to his guns other than blokes such as myself predicting a blowout last night.  i just figgered the caps would do much the same that detroit did to Phx.

the pens had 12 different scorers with the 2nd highest goal total in the field against a trapping team in the Otters.  As long as Malkin or Crosby dont go MIA like several Crapitals did, we should take this home in 6.  But I see Halak staying hot for maybe 2 more games before cooling off.  It wouldnt surprise me if this went to 7.

any one else notice Ovchokin dogging it big time when they were down 2?  only to perk it up when someone else not giving up made it a 1 goal game.  MVP...Most Valuable Pussy!

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2010 at 09:11 »

The Caps have to be thinking about shitcanning Boudreau, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ovechicken gets some say in that.

I don't see him getting canned, but really he should. There are pretty big upsets in the NHL playoffs every year, but that was one of the most monumental meltdowns in the history of sports. Hot goalie or no hot goalie, being up 3-1 against an 8 seed with 2 homes games left you have got to finish that shit off. the complete lack of defensive hockey displayed by his forwards is ridiculous, and his defenseman are downright lazy and terrible in their own end.

He's 1-3 in game sevens, and very well could have lost to a terrible Rangers team in the first round last year.

Also, I don't know if anyone caught his post-game pressor last night, but he was a complete douchebag. He started off whining about the call on Knuble and failed to mention the Habs had a similar goal taken off the board, and proceeded to throw Mike Green under the bus (twice).

As much as I wanted the Pens to end their season again, it was too awesome to watch such a collection of assholes choke in the first round. I honestly don't see how anyone can root for that team, even their role-players are a bunch on punks. Good riddance and thanks for home ice.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2010 at 09:48 »

Thanks for the props, but I think we all know Halak bailed me out.  clap

As for the series, agree with Splatter's assessment. Bylsma made some nice adjustments to the trap in round one and our defenseman are much better puck movers than Washingtons. if we are on our game there is no way they can consistently run 4 defenseman and 2 lines out there like they did in round one. Our depth is the greatest asset here, with a consistent forecheck we will wear them down. There really isn't a forward on their team with Alfie's or Spezza's talent either.

I expect a big breakout for the Poni-Malkin-Talbot line this series. Halak will start hot but the dam has got to break sometime (see Varmolov, 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs). And honestly, how much can the Habs have left in the tank after that series?

Pens in 6.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2010 at 09:59 »

During the Final Four my mom asked me if I thought WVU had a chance; I thought about it and said no, they'd already won their national championship when they beat Kentucky.  I think the analogy holds to a certain extent here, too.  As Merman points out, how much can be left in a team after blocking about 150 shots in a three game span?

IIRC the last time the Pens and Habs played in the playoffs was during the Constantine regime, with Jagr dying inside.  

One point to consider though is that Halak is a world class goalie (I thought he played well in the Olympics) and Varlamov is not.  Looking at the Olympic numbers (http://results.iihf.com/og2010/IHM400000_85A__30_0.pdf) his SV% was .910 (middle of the pack) but he also logged 70 more minutes than the second busiest (Miller) and more than 100 minutes more than Hiller, third on the list in that category.

So does that point to a tired goalie?  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2010 at 10:12 »

I'm not a hockey officianado, but is it possible that Ovechkin is too much of an smart show-off arrogant arse to be willing to do what it takes to win in the playoffs?

All that offensive skill is great, but at some point in the Stanley Cup, you have to be willing to grind it out and win with defense.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2010 at 10:43 »

I'm not a hockey officianado, but is it possible that Ovechkin is too much of an smart show-off arrogant arse to be willing to do what it takes to win in the playoffs?

All that offensive skill is great, but at some point in the Stanley Cup, you have to be willing to grind it out and win with defense.

since their is no "I" in team, Ovchokin settle for "ME" instead.  good call on his part trying to hog the puck and do everything himself against 2 forwards and 2 d-men settled all cozy like in the zone.  Its not like he had 3 other 30+ and 3 20+ goal scorers on his team to help out or anything!!  :rolleyes:

he sure was at a loss for words in the post game wasnt he?  would of been fitting for Halek to burst in the locker room and whack him in the legs with a dip stick.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2010 at 09:04 »

Alot of it was that, and alot of it was Washington's unwillingness to adjust their offensive game. Not to take anything away from Halak, because he was godly, but the Caps made it easier on him than it should be. Skating in and firing from the blue line, trying to beat defenders one on one instead of working the perimeter. How many times did they make Halak slide from left to right and vice versa? How many times did Halak have a clear view of the shot with zero traffic in front?

If you watched any of game 7 some of the Caps best offensive chances came from the Walker-Belanger-whoeverthefuck line that simply dumped the puck into the offensive zone and cycled it until they worked traffic in front of the net. This is something Ovie's line refused to do, and if the were willing to work they could have been successful, especially against someone like Hal Gill is is very good facing up on defense but terrible when he has to turn his back and chase the puck.

That's why I feel good about the Pens in this series. Our top 3 lines will dump-and-cycle them into submission.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2010 at 12:22 by Merman1983 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: