Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 02:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010-2011 Pittsburgh Penguins  (Read 7421 times)
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010 at 19:05 »

Just be prepared to be pissed.  Wouldn't really be surprised if they tried to sign Poni at a slightly cut rate either.  Remember these words.

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010 at 19:16 »

I thought you guys might have fun with this...

http://www.capgeek.com/

Stan & Guy were talking about it on their show today.  Some guy that works on FSN with Stan helped create the site.  You can add and subtract players to create a roster and see if it fits under the salary cap.  It also lists all the 2010 free agents.  Pretty cool site.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010 at 12:19 »

Looks like the bidding for Volchenkov will start high...

Capitals ready to offer $5M for Volchenkov
Travis Yost
Ottawa Senators Blogger
May 23, 2010, 11:59 AM ET

The Anton Volchenkov saga is picking up steam(or being beaten to a dead horse) with the news that hit the wire early this morning.

In lieu of Volchenkov putting his house on the open market in Ottawa, the Washington Capitals have stepped to the front of the line as the most viable suitors for Anton's services.

With Washington's disastrous first round exit at the hands of the Montreal Canadiens, many of the front office suits began looking for an answer. With all of the offensive talent they possess, surely goal scoring wasn't the issue. However, constant questions about the defense and goaltending resurfaced time and time again, and now it appears the Capitals big splash heading into 2010-2011 will be finding that shutdown defenseman that they so desperately need.

Mike Green, the team's best blueliner, has an incredible level of hockey talent, but most of it is on the offensive end. At times, this team was harassed in the defensive end because they never had a guy who could put a body on a body, block shots consistently, and possess both the ice vision and physical presence that so often makes a difference in the back. Anton Volchenkov is all of that and more.

I pointed out at the beginning of the off-season that the Capitals and Rangers were the two most likely landing spots for #24, especially considering how Washington pursued him at the deadline.

From the OS:

Just one man's opinion.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010 at 14:05 »

Don't get me wrong, I wish that he played for the Pens, but I can't see tying up 5 million of cap space for a guy that one-dimensional.

Looking at the Caps cap situation, Fehr, Fleischmann, Schultz, and Neuvirth are all RFA's, but they have 13 million to work with. In theory they could re-up all those guys and still get Volchenkov, assuming they aren't extending Semin. But they'd still have Varlomov between the pipes...

Heard the Rangers are going hard after Kovalckuk, so they're probably out of the bidding. Kovi wants Ovechkin money, and while he's one of the best snipers in the game, he will be really overpaid IMO.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010 at 14:09 by Merman1983 » Logged
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010 at 17:39 »

Yeah, I never thought we'd be in the Volchenkov sweepsteaks either.  With so much cap space taken by Sid, Geno, Staal and Maf, we're never going to be bidding on premium FA's.  I just thought it was interesting that Washington is rumored to be going hard after him.  If they can sign him and upgrade their goaltending, they may finally be able to win a playoff series or two.

Just one man's opinion.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jun 04, 2010 at 12:04 »

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37506190/ns/sports-player_news/

The Detroit News is reporting that Tomas Holmstrom has signed a two-year/$3.75 million contract with the Red Wings.

Yeah he's 37 but it's a good deal given the price and his willingness to get in front of the net. Even though he's played for the douches for so long I would have totally been on board with bringing him in at that price as a top-6 guy.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jun 05, 2010 at 11:26 »

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/bruins_extend_seidenberg/

Boston extends Seidenberg for 4 years. Read that it's at 3.25 million per. Translation: The FA market for defenseman is going to get out of control.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jun 07, 2010 at 20:03 »

And some news from the Ray Whitney front in Carolina:

"I think it will be difficult with where he will be at, contract-wise," Rutherford said. "I expect him to go into July (and the free-agent market). It appears that's the way it's going to go."

Before the March 3 trade deadline, the Canes fielded trade offers for Whitney. But Whitney had a no-trade clause in his contract and opted to stay with the team, finishing third in points with 58 (21 goals, 37 assists).

Read more: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-whitney-unlikely-to-sign#ixzz0qDhH2pYZ

It's probably moot because some jackasses like the Rangers will give him a 4 year deal but I'd consider giving him 2 years even at his age. The guy's shot is still fantastic and he would totally change the complexion of the power play. He'd look nice on either of the top 2 lines as well.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2010 at 20:49 »

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=324094

Pretty decent writeup by TSN although I disagree with their rating system (Gogo is better than Letang and Orpik?).  It does give an ok overview of the roster, needs, and prospects to watch though.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #19 on: Jun 10, 2010 at 11:36 »

Signing a couple of Ray Whitney, Paul Kariya, Maxim Afinogenov, Todd Bertuzzi, Alex Tanguay, Colby Armstrong or Owen Nolan would be a good start towards shaking up the Penguins' scoring units.

Would love to see Afinogenov and Armstrong singed in the offseason.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: