Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 21:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010-2011 Pittsburgh Penguins  (Read 7800 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #20 on: Jun 10, 2010 at 12:50 »

If the Penguins were to consider moving Malkin, it would only be for a major haul in return. There's no dealing one of the top three talents in the game for anything less, so the Penguins can at least see if other teams are willing to rise to the bait.

Are you kidding me.  No way I would ever trade Malkin...period.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #21 on: Jun 10, 2010 at 12:53 »

Would love to see Afinogenov and Armstrong singed in the offseason.

Yeah I could see them bringing Army back on the cheap. At least he offers something else (grit, penalty killing) than the Fedontenkos of the world if he isn't producing points. Afinogenov probably priced himself out of their range after this year, but he'd be my 2nd choice off that list after Whitney. He's got 30 goal potential IMO.

I could also see them looking at Tanguay. He was dogshit last year but bring him in for under a mil and see what happens. He's more of a setup guy than a sniper, but when your top 2 centers are 40+ goal scorers, a setup guy might not be a bad idea.

Just say no to Kariya. His skillset has really deteriorated outside of his speed. I'd rather have Dupuis at this point.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #22 on: Jun 10, 2010 at 12:59 »

List of UFA's

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position/

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Jun 10, 2010 at 12:59 »

Are you kidding me.  No way I would ever trade Malkin...period.

This + infinity. You cannot trade a guy like Malkin until the cap absolutely forces you too. You can not get enough back for him. You just can't. people point to 77 point points this year, well he missed 15 games, had shitheads on his line, played hurt, and still was in the top 10 in points per game in the league.

i give up Staal and Fluery before I give up Malkin.
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Jun 12, 2010 at 22:14 »

Perfectly stated.  Staal is good and all, but he would be replaced.  And Flower.  Ha.  Yall know my opinion of him.

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Jun 19, 2010 at 12:23 »

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=532092

Fuck, Philly trades for the rights to Hamhuis. Definitely one of the guys I'd have liked Shero to target, and given Ray's history with the Preds, thought it might be a possibility.

Pretty sure he's going to get over 3.5 million per year, so the salary cap must not exist in Philly anymore.

The Nashville Predators have traded the rights to one of their top defensemen, Dan Hamhuis, to the Eastern Conference champion Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for defenseman Ryan Parent. Nashville is also sending a conditional 7th round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft as part of the deal.

Hamhuis will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. If Philadelphia does not sign him prior to the 2010-11 season, Nashville will transfer its own 7th round pick in 2011 to Philadelphia. Additionally, if Philadelphia trades the rights to Hamhuis prior to July 1 the conditional pick will not be transferred.

Hamhuis, selected by the Predators with the 12th pick in the 2001 draft, completed his sixth NHL season by recording 5 goals and 24 points in 78 regular-season games, adding a pair of assists in six playoff games. In 483 career regular-season games for Nashville, he has 32 goals and 161 points.

Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #26 on: Jun 19, 2010 at 15:13 »

In order to pay Hamhuis, Flyers will have to make more moves
By Brandon Worley
Sat Jun 19,2010 2:30 PM ET

Now that the Philadelphia Flyers have acquired the negotiating rights to Dan Hamhuis, the question is now whether they'll be able to sign him or not.

According to CapGeek.com, the Flyers currently sit just over $8 million under the $56 million salary cap for next season with 17 players under contract. The Flyers have 11 forwards under contract but just four defensemen, with Lukas Krajicek, Danny Syvret and Mike Rathje all set to become UFAs this summer. It's unlikely the Flyers will be keeping any of those three, especially with Hamhuis now on the negotiating table.

More importantly, the Flyers will be looking to keep defenseman Braydon Coburn, who was absolutely incredible during the playoffs this past season and who will become a restricted free agent after making $1.4 million last year. The Flyers will certainly aim to keep him, will want to sign Hamhuis and will need at least one more defensemen, two forwards and will likely be looking to acquire a new goaltender.

Hamhuis will be looking to make at $4 million a season and has all of the leverage on his side when it comes to negotiating with the Flyers, and if you factor in Coburn's salary for next season that's likely at least $6 million tied up between the two defensemen; nearly two-thirds of the remaining cap space with six spots still open.

If the Flyers do hope to sign Hamhuis and keep Coburn -- giving the Flyers what is likely the best blue line in the NHL -- then you can almost guarantee that one of the top forwards on the Flyers will have to be traded, and in the best case scenario be traded for a goaltender. There is some thought that the Flyers will be shopping one of Jeff Carter, Scott Hartnell or Simon Gagne in order to free up salary space.

Here's a scenario that makes sense. A trade with the Los Angeles Kings that sends Carter to LA in exchange for either Jonathan Quick or Jonathan Bernier. You have to think that the Kings would be much more willing to part with Bernier, who makes $843,000 next season over Quick, although either would work well for the Flyers. Obviously, it wouldn't be a straight up trade, but with those major pieces the trade would work for both sides.

The Flyers would instantly free up $3-4 million in cap space, while either acquiring a solid starting goaltender to go with their top defense or at the very least a very capable goaltender who can work in tandem with Brian Boucher. Obviously the Flyers would prefer Quick, who is under contract for three more seasons at $1.8 million per year, but the extra cap space here will be key.

The Flyers aren't done making moves over the next week, not if they hope to sign Hamhuis and especially if they aim to keep Coburn as well. Expect one of the top forwards on the Flyers to be on the market and it's very likely they'll be traded; if not, then Hamhuis tests the open market and the Flyers get a seventh-round draft pick next summer.

I'd love to see the negotiations go poorly between the Flyers and Hamhuis and watch him hit the open market on July 1st. Trading Carter would really hurt their offensive output. I wouldn't want to see Hartnell in any other uniform but that ugly orange and black.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Jun 19, 2010 at 16:22 »

My guess is they'd like to move Hartnell. He was pretty bad last season and i'm sure it's harder to put up with his horseshit when he not scoring 30 goals. He'd fit in nicely with the douches in NY, but they gotta be right up against the cap and i see them going after Kovalcuk if possible. Even if the end up moving Carter, they have some pretty good depth at forward and i think they can survive.

that would be downright hilarious to trade for his rights and not get a deal done before july 1.

Looks like they are going with the detroit model. load up on the blue-line and go dirt cheap in goal.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #28 on: Jun 19, 2010 at 20:37 »

Rob Rossi is reporting that the Gonchar talks are heating up...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_686877.html

and has this to say about Gonchar's demands...

He is seeking a multi-year deal, and despite publicly stating his desire to remain with the Penguins, Gonchar has not expressed a willingness to take a significant salary reduction - if any at all.

If Gonch is signed long term and/or given anything but a reduction in salary, I for one, will be pissed.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Jun 21, 2010 at 10:17 »

Yeah, I really don't want Gonchar back at all at this point. The guy isn't going to come down from a 4-5 million a year asking price and he's not worth that to this team the way it's currently constructed. To many puck movers, not enough puck stoppers.

I guess I could live with a one year deal at a discount but I see him getting multiple offers after july 1 that are in the 3-4 year range. the guy still has a ton of value to certain teams out there.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: