Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 22, 2014 at 19:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV Question  (Read 846 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jun 15, 2010 at 09:23 »

Need to get a flat screen for the MB. A 37" is the max. size I can fit in the armoire (88%), assuming it's no more than 36" wide.

Was looking at 1080P, but then saw a chart that showed, really no viewing difference from the 720P at our viewing distance, for that size screen.

I'm just curious if any of you are watching football on a similar sized screen, with 60Hz refresh. Our 57" has 120Hz and NFL action looks pretty good. Hard to find many faster refresh rates on the oddball 37" sizes.

Just wondering if I'd even really notice the difference in refresh on a set that small.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2010 at 10:07 »

Sorry I can't help Otis. Haven't researched that size TV.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2010 at 10:22 »

Based on some feedback I got on the AVS Forum, looks like 720P/60Hz would be ample for that TV size and that viewing distance.

Remember when a 27" TV was pretty damn big?
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2010 at 10:28 »

What affect  does the distance have?  When I've looked at sets in the store it's generally pretty easy to tell the diff btw 720 and 1080.  But I'm no TV guru.  Isn't there a contrast ratio # (higher=better) that's important as well?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2010 at 14:00 »

I can't weigh on your size either, too small duel

One thing I do know is that FOX broadcasts in 720P and CBS broadcasts in 1080P.  On a larger screen, and mine is a DLP rather than LCD, the difference is extremely noticeable.  I'll make a note to see if there is a same noticeable difference on the 32" LCD in the MB.  Naturally, I'm not watching the NFL in the MB on a pos 32", so I have no idea, but now I'm curious.

On an LCD that's 37", it may be negligible.  If that is what you searched for and found discussion, or that is what more than 1 or 2 posters said, on AVS, I'd say it's gospel.  That site is the Holy Grail of audio/video, IMO.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2010 at 14:19 »

What affect  does the distance have?  When I've looked at sets in the store it's generally pretty easy to tell the diff btw 720 and 1080.

From what I'm reading, I could notice the difference around 4-5 feet away, but not at 10-11 feet.
Moot anyway, because I can't find any 720P in that size, so it will be 1080P.

Found a BB brand (Insignia) 37" 1080P/120Hz for $529. Only thing is that, some peeps stay to stay away from BB brands. Dunno. It's the best deal so far. Two year warranty too...not sure if that's a good sign or bad.

Trying to find reviews, but that's what I'm leaning to right now.

**EDIT**
The 37" Insignia was $629 (not $529) and the LG 37" 1080P/60Hz was $529. I bought the LG. So far only have OTA HD hooked up, but a very nice picture.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2010 at 21:18 by otismalibu » Logged
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 07:56 »

Back when LCD's were becoming popular, and when they started comiong out with 1080p, LG seemed to have some of the better TV's for that techology.

OTA HD will likely look better than the HD that is piped in from your provider, so enjoy it while it lasts!!!!!

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 08:09 »

OTA HD will likely look better than the HD that is piped in from your provider, so enjoy it while it lasts!!!!!

It's not going anywhere. I keep the ANT input hooked up on both sets. Nice backup if the cable happens to go out or if you've maxed out DVR and want another viewing option.

Very nice picture right out of the box. Been trying to find some suggested settings online, but no luck so far. It has a Picture Wizard I'll have to try.

Bought a Monster surge protector at Walmart yesterday. Just a small one. Got home, opened it up, and saw that some fucker swapped out a dirty old power strip. If you're gonna commit a crime, why not go big, instead of going after the $20 heist?
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 09:10 »

Bought a Monster surge protector at Walmart yesterday. Just a small one. Got home, opened it up, and saw that some fucker swapped out a dirty old power strip. If you're gonna commit a crime, why not go big, instead of going after the $20 heist?

Small minds = small crimes, the sorry bastards.  At least it wasn't underwear.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 17:57 »

It's not going anywhere. I keep the ANT input hooked up on both sets. Nice backup if the cable happens to go out or if you've maxed out DVR and want another viewing option.

Very nice picture right out of the box. Been trying to find some suggested settings online, but no luck so far. It has a Picture Wizard I'll have to try.

I'd just put it back in the box and return it. Wink

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2010 at 18:53 »

I'd just put it back in the box and return it.

Yeah, but I had to point out what the clever bastard did. And I made sure to check the next one.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2010 at 07:35 »

Just the latest example of Mrs. Malibu getting shortchanged with smaller equipment in the bedroom.

"Don't worry, honey.  37" is plenty big enough."

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2010 at 08:00 »

There used to be a DVD called AVIA that one would use to calibrate their TV.  Now their is a blu-ray version for HD.  I'm not sure what it's called, if it's still AVIA or something else, as I don't keep up with AV as much as I used to.

You can also search your TV model on AVS and a lot of times there will be a post where guys have used the calibration DVD and then post their settings.  Or, guys will post the settings they like after jacking around with it for months.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: