Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 06:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A lot of preseason rags like Lindy's are picking us to finish last  (Read 1112 times)
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« on: Jun 19, 2010 at 16:33 »

I stopped by the magazine rack while the wife set the credit card on fire at the mall (despite the fact we're fucking flat broke), and checked out a bunch of the preseason mags. Didn't see any that had us higher than third behind the Bengals and Ravens, and a couple had us behind the Browns. Made me want to skullfuck these idiots. I will guarantee right here and now that we will finish no worse than second in the division.....Money back guarantee.  angry4

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2010 at 22:01 »

Yeah, it's a fucking joke.  As if all of a sudden we no longer have a top 5 defense, returning stronger than last year.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2010 at 00:34 »

09/12   Atlanta   01:00pm
09/19   @ Tennessee   01:00pm
09/26   @ Tampa Bay   01:00pm
10/03   Baltimore   01:00pm
BYE   
10/17   Cleveland   01:00pm
10/24   @ Miami   01:00pm

OK, the worst they come out of that is 3-3, 1-1 in the div.  Most likely 5-1, 2-0 in the div b/c they don't lose to Balty at home.  CLE?  HAHAHA.  Won't lose @ Mammy or @ Tampa.  Should handle up on ATL on opening day.  Maybe they drop one @ TEN.

Then they get the starting QB back.  Whatever, preseason rags.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2010 at 13:51 »

Ben's gonna be back after 4 games. If he doesn't get in trouble, and follows all the guidelines Goodell gave him they said it would be reduced to 4 games. Don't see Ben not doing those things at this point.

Worse case scenario we're 2-2 by the time Ben comes back.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2010 at 10:23 »

We play better as the underdog.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2010 at 14:53 »

While I agree that we play better as the underdog and that the team will want to atone for a dismal finish to '09, consider me skeptical of our chances this year.

Positives: Team usually bounces back from bad years; Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu healthy again; OL should improve with Pouncey; reliable vet ex-Steelers added back to fold (Foote, Randle-El, McFadden); speedster rookie Mike Wallace may improve in 2nd year; improved RB depth; projected improvement in 2nd and 3rd year players (Hood, K. Lewis, Wallace?, Mendenhall, Burnett)...

Negatives: Second-half collapse in 2009 raises fundamental questions about team; injury history of Smith and Polamalu; secondary will need McFadden or K. Lewis to step up in a big way; DL age; Ike Taylor (30), an Clark (30), and James Farrior (35) age; depth at WR and Ward's age (34); depth at QB during suspension; lack of depth at S; ongoing ST coverage issues; ongoing OL issues; Bruce Arians's anosognosia...

In short, I don't think us having a top-5 or even top-10 defense is a given this year.  Could well be, but I have worries.  The offense is also shaky, with wild extremes looming as possible: an OL that gels, a revived running game, Ben returning with new commitment, young WRs surprising the league; or we could see an OL coughing up 45-50 sacks again, the same inconsistencies in the ground game, a total collapse of the WR squad...

In short, nothing would surprise me this year.  Except coming in 4th behind the Browns.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Steelerdipwad
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2010 at 05:41 »

consider me skeptical of our chances this year.

You're not a REAL fan, man! You WANT them to lose. Why don't you just go root for the damn Ravens?

Yeah, it's hard to be optimistic, but we'll see. Getting Troy back makes the corners better because they have to cover 5 fewer yards down the seam, Ziggy infuses a little youth into the line, a new line coach and the development of an Urbik and Pouncey could do wonders for the line under the eye of a real line coach, Mendy could bust loose, abd we still have LeBeau. I don't think we'll finish under .500. Of course, that's a far cry from winning it all.

"Fanatics are picturesque. Mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reason." - Friederich Nietzsche
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2010 at 09:03 »

off-season is nothing but conjecture and speculating. If any of us, including the sports writers, were any good at it, we'd all be millionaires.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2010 at 10:15 »

off-season is nothing but conjecture and speculating. If any of us, including the sports writers, were any good at it, we'd all be millionaires.

True.  Most mags can't trend particularly well, either: they see who did well last year, pencil them in, and look for a couple teams who had a nice draft or whatever to be the upstarts.  Reality is, the really solid teams build long term. 

Unfortunately, my gut says we've allowed the defense to slip some over that long term, growing old and injury-prone without loading up playmakers to replace them.

Let's look at potential impact players added over the past 5 years:

2010:  Despite some murmuring that rookies will be more involved, the only guy I can see being used this season would be OLB Worilds, and even then only in rotation.  Think Ziggy Hood's 2009 season, unless one of the starters gets hurt.  Good early reports on Crezdon Butler at CB, but scant opportunities IMO, a few packages at best.  Don't expect to see OLB Gibson, ILB Sylvester, or DE Worthington at all.

2009: DE Hood, still probably won't start, but may see more time in rotation, especially since starters are aging.  CBs K. Lewis and Burnett are in a big year, and early reports on Lewis (cf.: Ike) are promising; if he and Burnett (cf.: D. Townshend) can step up, secondary may be in better shape than last year's mess would lead us to believe.  DE Sunny Harris looks like a backup.

2008:  LB Bruce Davis is gone.  Fail.  LB Mike Humpal is gone, due to injuries; losing a R6 guy isn't as painful as a R3.  S Ryan Mundy is still around, and appears to be JAG.

2007: ILB Timmons is a solid player with flaws.  OLB LaMarr Woodley is very good.  DE Ryan McBean is, I believe, a Bronco now.  CB William Gay got beaten like a crack whore last year, and can only be considered a NCB, IMO.

2006: S Anthony Dumbass Smith is now a Packer, IIRC.  DT Orien Harris is a lazy assed Bengal backup.  Fail, fail. 

Not a stunning haul on D, unless meant in the negative.  DL has Ziggy Hood, maybe, and no NT; why should it?  Nose isn't worth much in the 30 front.  LBs are apparently going to be used across the line and in the secondary: I see 3 of 7 or maybe 4 of 7 of that group panning, with OLB looking solid and ILB looking thin and old.  Yes, we have some backups in Foote and Fox, none of whom is bathing in the fountain of youth.  CB is a big, big question mark, with class of '09 the make or break, IMO.  S is a god-forsaken mess in terms of depth and future, and if Troy gets hurt again, the future is now: bleak.

Even with all the OL issues and hopeful Darwin candidate Bruce Arians fucking us at every turn, I still see a brighter future for the offense than the D, by trends.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2010 at 11:55 »

In short, nothing would surprise me this year.  Except coming in 4th behind the Browns

Tru dat, all the way around.

Bruce Arians's anosognosia...

Honestly, this remains one of my biggest concerns.  If the defense is aging, then it makes sense to help them out with a little ball control.  If the offensive line isn't protecting well, then let's get them run-blocking.  If the RBs are struggling, then let's design some schemes and use a fullback to open the gaps for them.  If you have a big, immobile qb who winds the ball like Nolan Ryan, being backed up by a qb more breakable than the Crystal Cathedral, being backed up by a second-year project, then you might want to consider these factors when game-planning and organizing the rush attack.

Not to mention, when your franchise QB returns after 4-6 games, you might want to think about the conjecture that he's had too many concussions to keep his johnson in his pants and control his other impulses--especially the one to stand around in the backfield until he gets MMA-ed by someone.  Or consider the fact that he's taken more of a pounding than any QB this side of David Carr.  Perhaps the man designing the offense should take these factors into consideration?

I'm not holding my breath...

As for the rest of the team, I think that it largely depends on the health of Smith and Troy.  Hard to believe that two players could make that much of a difference, but I believe that they are just that good at what they do.  If they stay healthy, the defense rebounds and plays well, giving us a chance to survive ins spite of Ben's antics and BAs stupidity.  But, as finny says, that is a huge "if" for this team.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: