Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 17:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL Sunday Ticket  (Read 10517 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: Jul 20, 2010 at 09:16 »

For MGS'ers that are Sunday Ticket subscribers - I just got my July bill.  They started billing me for The Ticket subscription this year, which is fine, even though it's up to $300 (BV should cancel), but there is an additional charge of $10 per month for 5 months to watch games on your computer and phone.

I called to get the $10 refunded and cancel that "feature", since I don't have a phone cool enough to watch TV, and I sure as hell don't watch TV on a computer.  It wasn't as problematic as getting refunds for other things, although I'm interested to see if it shows up again next month.

Anyway, a heads up for fellow NFL Ticket subscribers.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2010 at 10:24 by Big Virgil » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 11:28 »

Yeah, I'm dreading this addition to my bill as well.  

This year is the first time...ever...that I'm considering cancelling the Ticket.  It would be the first time in about 16 years that I'm seriously thinking about switching from DirecTV to something else too.  I don't really have any complaints aside from pricing and the nickel and diming they do to their customers though.

I dunno.  Maybe it's because I've got so much going on and I really haven't been able to watch TV as much as I used to or maybe it's the constant increase in rates, but the thought of getting (essentially) the same kinda product and service via Verizon (Fios) or AT&T (Uverse) for less money is fucking seriously tempting.  Plus, there's also the bonus of being able to bundle land line and Internet to save even more money.

Maybe my opinion will change once the house is done and I can sit in my great room and actually enjoy watching something on TV again.

Anybody out there have positive/negative experiences with those other services I mentioned?

Specifically, I'm kinda interested to hear about how services like HD programming and DVR function with those other companies.  DirecTV makes you run two separate lines to a receiver if you want to be able to record a program while watching something else.  Unfortunately, that's a minor detail that I forgot to mention to my electrician before the sheetrock and mudding was done...

:angryface:
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2010 at 11:45 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 11:36 »

Pretty much all of the cable/satellite companies provide a lousy customer service experience. Prepare to be especially frustrated during installation or switchover from one to the other.

I also am getting closer each year to cancelling the Ticket. But not this year, I guess. I will say that, while you can't get DirecTV to lower the price of the NFL Ticket itself, you can usually call up and threaten to cancel. They will usually then offer a "rebate" or discount for a few months on their regular service, to help soften the blow.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 11:52 »

I also am getting closer each year to cancelling the Ticket. But not this year, I guess. I will say that, while you can't get DirecTV to lower the price of the NFL Ticket itself, you can usually call up and threaten to cancel. They will usually then offer a "rebate" or discount for a few months on their regular service, to help soften the blow.

Oh yeah, I've been using that approach for years now.  Pretty much from its inception, I've had the SuperFan HD package and I haven't paid the extra $100 charge for it.  I just call and hem-and-haw about paying another fee to see something else in high def.  I think they're up to 3 or 4 different HD packages now.

Its just gotten old and I'm kinda tired of jumping through hoops.  Companies are selling souls and willing to run over their mothers to get you to switch nowadays.  So, where's my incentive to stick with the company, Bob?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 12:06 »

Can you DTV peeps sign up for major networks from different regions? I've read about people with east & west coast versions and they obviously get more options on Sunday.

I've got the Charter bundle. Around $145/month for phone, internet & 2 cable boxes (1 with DVR).

Been tempted to switch to U-Verse. With them, I think I could add the Pittsburgh Fox Sports package. My neighbor has it. Swears the internet is faster, but I've not checked it out yet.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 12:31 »

I have the Verizon FIOS TV/Internet bundle and love it.  One DVR that's accessible by the others is cool but an extra $20 so that's kinda BS IMO.  I cancelled the phone portion of the bundle and went with an internet service, VOIPo.  Awesome phone service for about $100 per year with tons of features.

I cancelled the Ticket about 10 years ago.  Generally I can catch about half the games anyways so the cost per game was ridiculous to me.  I generally get the streaming audio through Real Audio and that's about 30 bucks.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 14:15 »

This year is the first time...ever...that I'm considering cancelling the Ticket.  It would be the first time in about 16 years that I'm seriously thinking about switching from DirecTV to something else too.  I don't really have any complaints aside from pricing and the nickel and diming they do to their customers though.

I dunno.  Maybe it's because I've got so much going on and I really haven't been able to watch TV as much as I used to or maybe it's the constant increase in rates, but the thought of getting (essentially) the same kinda product and service via Verizon (Fios) or AT&T (Uverse) for less money is fucking seriously tempting.  Plus, there's also the bonus of being able to bundle land line and Internet to save even more money.

We talked about it for a few years now since the Ticket was so expensive, but this year we actually did it. We were trying to cut costs to help us save up in case we get the opportunity to move and decided that the Ticket was one way we could save some cash. We thought like Jonzr and decided that we get to watch most of them anyway and can go to any of about 10 steeler bars in the area if we can't catch one on our own TV.

Once we decided not to get the Ticket, I figured I would look into other cable providers to get an even better deal. We already had FiOS for Phone/Internet, so I decided to check there first. Ended up getting better phone, faster internet, and the HDTV package for about $40/month savings. That adds up to some serious change. Plus now we can actually make use of both tuners since you do not ridiculously have to run 2 lines from the dish to each receiver (a DirecTV negative that you already mentioned).

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 14:48 »

Yeah, we skipped the Ticket last year, given the low number of games not being televised by the locals.  Seems to fluctuate every year.

Also have been thinking about Fios as a cheaper consolidation, but DirecTV has been pretty good for us so far.  Will revisit this thread.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 22:23 »

.  DirecTV makes you run two separate lines to a receiver if you want to be able to record a program while watching something else.  Unfortunately, that's a minor detail that I forgot to mention to my electrician before the sheetrock and mudding was done...

:angryface:

Doooooooooooooooohhhh hhh!!!!!

DTV does have a new feature where one DVR can serve the whole house, which could alleviate your situation.

Last year I could have seen 8 or 9 games w/o the Ticket, but watching KC vs San Diego or Oakland vs anyone week after week in the opposite time slot is most painful.  Not having to watch those games in addition to catching all the Steeler games, keeps me coming back. 

I will seriously consider not renewing (next year) and see if DTV will do anything.  My 1st year of The Ticket was 1998 or 1999.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2010 at 05:38 »

Can you DTV peeps sign up for major networks from different regions? I've read about people with east & west coast versions and they obviously get more options on Sunday.

I've got the Charter bundle. Around $145/month for phone, internet & 2 cable boxes (1 with DVR).

Been tempted to switch to U-Verse. With them, I think I could add the Pittsburgh Fox Sports package. My neighbor has it. Swears the internet is faster, but I've not checked it out yet.

For some reason (I think FCC regs), you can only get the network feeds for your own region. For instance, I get a couple different feeds for NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. -- the local feed has the local programming, local news in HD.  I get the east coast feed, and can see the west coast feed, but can't tune in.  Some of the stations have multiple feeds with alternative programming (for instance, PBS broadcasts more than one feed on it's "channel" now, so you have the painful choice between, say, Yankee Victory Garden and The Best of the Joy of Painting)

A few years ago, if you could prove that you couldn't receive local programming because you lived outside of a broadcast area, then you were eligible to receive the direct network feed.  A few years ago, I think DirecTV had some kind of solution, since ALL of the local channels now come in absolutely crystal clear.

When I first installed DTv at this house, I would sometimes have to use bunny ears (!) to tune in for HD programming if the dish had a poor reception. Not a problem anymore.  I tried to get them to give me the direct feeds (so I could grab the West Coast), but they said I wasn't eligible.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: