Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 24, 2014 at 01:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 17 - Jan 2 @ Cleveland  (Read 2800 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 22:47 »

Gotta say, part of me would dread playing Indy  Given the NFL's hard-on for Indy vs. NE and Manning vs. Brady, you gotta believe the refs will do anything to achieve that end.

Hmmmm...never considered that angle.  We need to start an over/under pool on fines for James Harrison if the Steelers get either (or both) of the matchups vs. the Golden Boys in the playoffs.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 09:41 »

A few other thoughts:

First play, Willie Gay isn't defending the pass, he's going for a pick 6.  He misses, and McCoy hits Massaquoi for 14 yards.  Normally, a CB missing his assignment and allowing 14 yards would start my eye twitching and get a bit of froth going at the corner of my mouth, but I was actually happy to see it because it signaled to me that the PSD was coming out of the gate hungry to punish the CBO.  They were going after McCoy, and the very next play, giftie to Troy.  Next play after that, 56 yard TD to Mike Wallace.  Perfect.  The right call at the right time.  Only issue I had was that in replay, you could see that Wallace had to slow down once again to let the pass catch up to him.  Bennie, let that fucker go like you've been hiked a fucking hornet's nest, baby.  You cannot overthrow
Mike Wallace.  NASA scientists have studied Wallace's acceleration and come to this very conclusion.

14:15 in the 3Q, Ben throws a short pass to Heath Miller.  It's maybe 5, 6 yards.  Covering Heath is DB Abram Elam.  Abram Elam suddenly transforms into a blocking sled.  Heath Miller doesn't just truck him for 3 or 4 yards.  Heath Miller pushes him 10 yards downfield.  It looked like Heath was out doing drills at Latrobe.  I guess this is why they do those drills, so when some guy named Abram Elam pretends to try to tackle your TE, he can make the guy look like he's wearing roller skates.

ARE TD pass to Hines.  Yawn.  That's like so 2005 season, you know what I mean?  Bo-ring.  Actually, it was quite funny, because the Browns didn't expect it.  And ARE slipped.  And still threw a perfect arc to Hines.  Who was ALL BY HIMSELF in the EZ.  What the what?  Who leaves Hines Ward unattended in the EZ?  I wouldn't mind seeing this play a few more times in the playoffs, if it worked.  Unfortunately, teams like Baltimore and NE won't get caught like Ben in Bama (pants down), but we were just taunting the Browns.  

Too bad we didn't shut them out, too.  But there were overtones of the 41-0 shutout from the week 16 win versus the Browns from 2005.  You'll recall the shutout game by its most memorable feature if I refer to it as the James Harrison Bodyslams a Drunken Brownie Fan Game.  Effen hilarity, my friends.  How can you not love James Harrison?  OK, score by quarter, 2010 v. 2005 (2010 in red):  14-0, 14-0; 31-3, 20-0; 38-3, 34-0; 41-9, 41-0.  I'm not sayin' it's 2005 all over again, I'm just sayin'.  The more things change, ya know?  Browns suck, we rule, ever shall it be.

Other stats:

2010:  Steelers outgain Brownies 418-225.  PSD had 4 sacks, 3 INTs.  BBR 15-22-280-2-0 .  Leading rusher, Mendenhall 14-36-2.  Leading receiver Mike Wallace, 3-105-1.
2005:  Steelers outgain Brownies 457-178.  PSD had 8 sacks, 0 INTs.  BBR 13-20-226-1-0.  Leading rusher, Willie Parker 17-130-1.  Leading receiver Hines Ward 7-105-1.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2011 at 10:11 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 10:00 »

Not to be critical, but you got Ben's stats backwards.  But since it was a repeat of the same, it really doesn't matter.

Actually felt a little bad for McCoy.  Not real bad, just a little.  He's got a chance to be a pretty good player IMO.  Hillis being hurt certainly made his life more difficult.

Give the guy credit, he stayed in there against the best D in the league and took his lumps.  It'll either make him better, or scar his career forever.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 10:13 »

Not to be critical, but you got Ben's stats backwards.  But since it was a repeat of the same, it really doesn't matter.

Thanks, fixed.  Working too quickly.

Actually felt a little bad for McCoy.  Not real bad, just a little.  He's got a chance to be a pretty good player IMO.  Hillis being hurt certainly made his life more difficult.

Give the guy credit, he stayed in there against the best D in the league and took his lumps.  It'll either make him better, or scar his career forever.

Yeah, he stood tall in a bad situation.  If things don't pan out, maybe the Browns can get Charlie Frye back.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 10:55 »

ARE TD pass to Hines.  Yawn.  That's like so 2005 season, you know what I mean?  Bo-ring.  Actually, it was quite funny, because the Browns didn't expect it.  And ARE slipped.  And still threw a perfect arc to Hines.  Who was ALL BY HIMSELF in the EZ.

My favorite part of that play was Ben pointing out Hines wide open about 3 sec before ARE threw it.  Ben's like, "dude, he's all alone - what are you waiting for?"

Absolutely perfect way to end it.  Complete domination, don't let them breathe.  Scored every time Ben touched the ball - awesome.

Love that little slant to Wallace.  You don't have to wait until he's 50 yards downfield to take advantage of his speed.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 11:05 »

ARE TD pass to Hines.  Yawn.  That's like so 2005 season, you know what I mean?  Bo-ring.  Actually, it was quite funny, because the Browns didn't expect it.  And ARE slipped.  And still threw a perfect arc to Hines.  Who was ALL BY HIMSELF in the EZ.

My favorite part of that play was Ben pointing out Hines wide open about 3 sec before ARE threw it.  Ben's like, "dude, he's all alone - what are you waiting for?"

Absolutely perfect way to end it.  Complete domination, don't let them breathe.  Scored every time Ben touched the ball - awesome.

Love that little slant to Wallace.  You don't have to wait until he's 50 yards downfield to take advantage of his speed.

Yeah, Ben directing was almost cartoonish. 

Those slants are getting some traction with 17, and 84 and 88 as well.  I think we'll see more of that this postseason.  All those guys have speed: Wallace is a laser, and Sanders and Brown have that nice shifty speed.  I think it was Brown who had one down the sideline, and tacked on about 8 YAC more than he should have with that speed -- it was like, "Oh, he's down, NO HE'S NOT...!"

Our passing game was missing a dimension, and it seems BA finally tapped it.  Wow. 

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 11:09 »

The 8 year old & I have been watching some of the old NFLN Games Of The Week. On Friday we watched the highlight reel from the 2005 SB run. They showed the ARE reg. season TD toss against the Browns. Was saying they should break that out again, so he's not rusty when he throws it in the 2010 SB.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 11:10 »

ARE TD pass to Hines.  Yawn.  That's like so 2005 season, you know what I mean?  Bo-ring.

Come on, we are talkin about BA here.  That is a mind fuk for him.  Maybe since it was the Browns, he was more comfortable calling plays, or something, and not trying to out smart himself which usually leads to him calling horrific games.  So, in two weeks he will be back to outsmarting himself and calling a horrible game.

They did play the browns, so expectations from O-line, BA, or any other group shoud not be inflated based on yesterday's game.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 11:14 »

Those slants are getting some traction with 17, and 84 and 88 as well.  I think we'll see more of that this postseason.  All those guys have speed: Wallace is a laser, and Sanders and Brown have that nice shifty speed.  I think it was Brown who had one down the sideline, and tacked on about 8 YAC more than he should have with that speed -- it was like, "Oh, he's down, NO HE'S NOT...!"

Our passing game was missing a dimension, and it seems BA finally tapped it.  Wow.

Yep, perfect way to slow down pass rush.  Let those guys loose in the secondary a few times to get the LBs to stay home.  Then the meduim to deep routes have time to develop, plus draws more effective, etc.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2011 at 11:27 »

ARE TD pass to Hines.  Yawn.  That's like so 2005 season, you know what I mean?  Bo-ring.

Come on, we are talkin about BA here.  That is a mind fuk for him.  Maybe since it was the Browns, he was more comfortable calling plays, or something, and not trying to out smart himself which usually leads to him calling horrific games.  So, in two weeks he will be back to outsmarting himself and calling a horrible game.

They did play the browns, so expectations from O-line, BA, or any other group shoud not be inflated based on yesterday's game.

Browns had 2 chances to play the spoiler, back-to-back games against the Ravens and Steelers.

Browns led 7-0 over the Ravens after 1Q, trailed only 13-10 at the half, and went down 20-10 in the 3Q (also final).  Short version: Browns looked bad then too, but the Ravens didn't look particularly dominant.  FWIW.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: