Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 17, 2014 at 08:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 17 - Jan 2 @ Cleveland  (Read 2937 times)
Robotman
Administrator
No longer a N00b!

« on: Aug 03, 2010 at 15:18 »

One more bonus game before the playoffs!
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 22:17 »

Okay, the Steelers are in the playoffs.  They really don't "have" to win this game. 

But it would be a serious blow to lose the division and the #2 seed by losing to the Cleveland Browns.  This is their Super Bowl, so the black n gold had better come ready to play.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010 at 08:14 »

Okay, the Steelers are in the playoffs.  They really don't "have" to win this game. 

But it would be a serious blow to lose the division and the #2 seed by losing to the Cleveland Browns.  This is their Super Bowl, so the black n gold had better come ready to play.

I think the Browns really wanted to knock off the Ravens, too.  What I saw of that game, the Browns played hard but were just too damned sloppy.  They'll come loaded for bear with us too, but we need to force that same kind of game from them.

IMHO, the difference between the 2 seed and the 5/6 is huge, it's about getting the two key defensive players healthy, and we all know what that can mean.

Another point I'd make is that this offense has been all over the map this year.  Game to game, drive to drive, the inconsistency is maddening.  At times, it looked like we couldn't move the ball on a squad of determined Girl Scouts.  At other times, it looked like the OL "got it" and we could drive on any defense any time.  So much of that comes down to my favorite goats, the OL and OC, but there are other factors. 

First of all, the receiving corps has undergone a huge change, with Tone gone, Hines older, Wallace expanding his role, and trying to get Manny Sanders and Tonio Brown acclimated to life in the bigs.  It was nice to see BA remember Heath Miller can catch the ball last week, but there was one play that just stunned me: the slant and go to Wallace, jets on, TD scored.  That ball was no sooner in Ben's hands than it was out, no chance for a blitz to work, defenders blinking and 17 is gone.  The great thing is, we have three guys who can all run that sluggo, Wallace and the rooks.  In fact, it looks like a Manny Sanders signature play.

Teams defend the run because we are predictable in playcalling, and because our passing game is inconsistent.  Up the ante with more quick-hitters to the sneaky squeaks zipping the under routes and let them kill teams with YAC.  I'm not saying we should become the NE Patriots offense, but we can certainly utilize some faster-devloping pass plays.  I'd like to see us trot a few more out versus the Browns to neutralize what they undoubtedly want to do (blitz Ben), and to go into the playoffs with some stuff teams haven't seen much of.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 14:14 »

Wow, it was such a blowout that CBS switched to OAK @ KC after the El TD pass to Ward.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 15:53 »

That's the way to end the season against the Browns!

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 15:59 »

Great to see the team perform so well on all fronts today (except, maybe, the running game), especially in a game they might have otherwise overlooked. This team has played down to the level of competition so often, I expected some of the same today, but they came out focused and put an end to this one early. Great building block for the playoffs.

Here's hoping we draw KC for our first game.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 18:30 »

A satisfying win in almost every regard.  Wanted to see the backups in sooner, cringing as 7 was taking off running in the 2H, but he's a man playing a man's game.  Felt some measure of pity for Cribbs, talented guy on a bad team, and McCoy, young guy who showed some good stuff but looked like an embarrassment today.  But fuck the Browns, and Shaun Rogers and Matt Roth in particular, guys who wanted to get in cheap shit on the Steelers because they're fucking bitches.  Fucking Rogers especially, I hope you die tonight.

Arians used those quick-hitter sluggo routes to 17, and 88, and 84.  I'm telling you, Ben's getting a nice rhythm going with those guys and it's a dangerous combo to defend.  Has he been reading MGS?!

Listening to pre-game on the radio and the locals were predicting 24-10 kinda scores.  Said to the Missus, Hell, I hope we win 38-3 and pull our starters by halftime.  Game set up beautifully, and we were at 38-3 for a while, making me feel prescient.  Good to see some work from Dwyer and Sylvester.

Will be interesting to see how the D plays, if 43 feels even better and A. Smith is back.  Not that 43 played badly or that Hood was in any way lacking.

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2011 at 08:29 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 19:36 »

Wow, dominating performance and just what the Dr. ordered before the playoffs.  Thought we looked a little sluggish at times on D--I've never liked the incessant blitzing vs. young qbs.  Just drop and confuse the hell out of them!  Testament to how bad the Browns are that we weren't great on defense and still held them to 200 yards. 

Not only is the receiving corps developing a nice rapport with Ben, they are becoming a force in this league.  As much as I've hated on Colbert for his late-round moves, Brown/Sanders/Wallace are looking like unbelievable selections.  These guys have a chance to become one of the most formidable groups of receivers in the entire league.

For all that hating on Ben, he has very quietly come along to have a fantastic season.  3000+ yards, 17 tds and 5 ints is not too shabby.  Passer rating has steadily increased and he should be in prime position to give us a great chance in the playoffs.

I have to say that the offensive line is surprisingly improved over the course of the season, in spite of Scott's struggles.  Pouncey is a beast and Kemo, Foster, Adams look like they are finally starting to gel.  Another matchup with the Ravens could change this perspective, but there is a lot more reason to be confident than in Sept.

As for playoff matchups, I feel like the Steelers can beat the Ravens or the Colts; or the Chiefs or Jets for that matter.  If we can fight our way through round 1, then the real challenge comes in Foxboro. 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 20:00 »

Gotta say, part of me would dread playing Indy  Given the NFL's hard-on for Indy vs. NE and Manning vs. Brady, you gotta believe the refs will do anything to achieve that end.

So I think Ill be rooting for KC and the NYJets.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 20:01 »

Here's a pretty good synopsis of the game.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: