Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 30, 2014 at 04:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 15 - Dec 19 - NYJ  (Read 4524 times)
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #70 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 12:48 »

Did the calls cost us the game?  I maybe not, but those PI's should not have been missed.  If there truly is an official watching every reciever, dudes don't just slow down for no reason like that.  No guarantee we score, but I'd like to have 4 shots from the 5 instead of 3 from the 10.

I can't really blame Spaeth on taking away that ball at the end.  He and the WR broke to the same open spot.  It happens.

Couda, shoulda, but didn't.  Wasn't a critical loss as long as we take care of business like we should next 2 weeks.

I don't like placing blame on officials, they did adversly affect the outcome of that game.  I don't care what anyone says, that hold on Sanders on the deep pass on the final drive, would have been a touchdown barring a complete and utter Sweed like moment.  It's a crime they didn't make such a critical call....

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #71 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 12:50 »

And no one even mentions Cromartie holding the guy in the endzone on the last play....

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #72 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 13:00 »

The more I thought about those missed calls (one early one late), the more I think they weren't accidents or coincidental.  Vet corners vs. young WRs.  I'm sure they've been coached on where the officials line up, and at what point in the route their view is obscured.  The holds were subtle, and it didn't look like a panicky grab because they got beat.  It was just enough to gain an advantage, and to throw a newbie off his route.  They look too similar to my untrained eye to be purely by chance.

The young guys will hopefully learn when they feel it how to move in such a way that the hold becomes obvious.

Short week ahead.  And i don't care who's injured, no excuse for losing this game.  None.  Put pressure on Ratties to match.  At the very least maybe Ratbirds soften up the Browns a little for week 17.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #73 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 13:40 »

A lot has already been covered or mentioned in other threads.

Fuckin' slays me that I've gotta hear it from Jests fans.  Although, to a lot of their credit, they're calling the win "lucky," "fortunate" and "a gift."  Maybe the result of the Giants game has a lot of them counting their blessings, I dunno.

Overall, weird game tho.  IMO, they never established control, but it never felt like they were out of it either.  Even after the safety, I still was confident that they'd get it done.  Unfortunately, bounces and calls just didn't go their way down the stretch.  Not having Heath really hurt in that least series.  Spaeth can't get cut fast enough.  Shoulda been shown the door along with Quads.  Just has to be a guy out there that's better.  Has to.

Sidenote, still maintain that it would be nice to have that long-limbed, big assed WR (read: 6'2" or 6'3"+) that Ben could just chuck it up to and know that he's going to take it away from a DB.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the sense that any of the guys on the squad can do that on the reg.  Yeah, Ward does it occasionally and Sanders has pretty good hands, but...I dunno.  Maybe I'm just being results oriented here.  Gotta admit that it would be sweet to have a guy like V. Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Fitz type of WR.  Even if they're "covered," they're not really "covered."

Anyway, back to the game stuff.  Liked what I saw from the O-line.  The defense was giving up too much to a guy (LT) that they've always owned.  Didn't expect him to have as much success as he did.  Frankly, thought the defense was a little passive; Sanchez looked way too comfortable back there.  Thought they would've come out and jumped on him early to rattle him, but they just let him complete those short, intermediate passes all day.  Didn't see much in the way of crazy blitzes.  Actually, didn't see all that much blitzing, overall.  Maybe I just missed 'em as I was kinda in and out of the room.  What I wish they would focus on is if they're not going to get to the QB, put yer damn arms up?  Seems like a lotta passes could've been knocked down if the defenders had the wherewithall to just put their arms up and/or jump.

Eh, I'm rambling about nothing.

Cliffs Notes:
Average performance + No last second heroics = loss.
To anybody on the sidelines wearing a sweatsuit, get healthy, fast.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #74 on: Dec 20, 2010 at 13:47 »

The more I thought about those missed calls (one early one late), the more I think they weren't accidents or coincidental.  Vet corners vs. young WRs.  I'm sure they've been coached on where the officials line up, and at what point in the route their view is obscured.  The holds were subtle, and it didn't look like a panicky grab because they got beat.  It was just enough to gain an advantage, and to throw a newbie off his route.  They look too similar to my untrained eye to be purely by chance.

The young guys will hopefully learn when they feel it how to move in such a way that the hold becomes obvious.

Good points, MD.  If those guys try pulling that against Ward, he knows how to make it appear more...blatant...with out going all World Cup, flop style.  The rooks just try to muscle through it.

In real time, that one against Sanders (?...I think) where Cromartie tugged on the jersey a bit wasn't even that obvious.  My first reaction was, "dude, why'd you slow down?"  Then, after the replay, I clearly saw that his mo was broken by a perfectly timed...ah, rub and tug.

Which reminds me...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: