Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 13:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 [20]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 13 - Dec 5 @ Baltimore  (Read 8270 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #190 on: Dec 07, 2010 at 08:47 »

However, is Ike that good or McFad that bad?  No one throws Ike's direction because the other side of the field is so attractive.  It's obvious that we're trying to hide him.  Hell, when you have Ryan Clark matching up man on Boldin, you don't have a lot of confidence in your CB.

I think McFad is like a lot of our corners in recent years:  Looks good as the nickel, but can't step up to be the man.

Ike despite his horrible hands has been good this year and solid in years past. I just think signing him is a priority because of the dropoff in talent at the position after him. Even if they go CB in round 1, it's alot to ask that guy to step in and start, and we'd still have stiffs on the other side.

For the record, I was all for bringing BMAC back, but he's been exposed for sure. Gay is an ok nickel guy, but that's about it. Lewis doesn't have a clue. Definitely a spot that needs to be addressed.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #191 on: Dec 07, 2010 at 12:11 »

Little late to the comment party.  Echo most but not all of what was said, especially liked Y2Cracker's post.

Considering how beat the fuck up we were, this is actually a very impressive win. 

On offense, we've lost our starting LT (Starks) and RG (Essex, poor play), and last night lost our RT (Flo), so it was a real bunch of dogs protecting.  Don't know how much better we can expect these guys to be, but we definitely need to get them in some semblance of synchronicity.  OL is definitely the top priority for this team in the draft: it made me sick watching Flacco get 7 seconds, and Brady gets a fucking eternity back there.  If Ben had Brady's line and vice versa, at the very least Brady would be dead and buried right now.

Arians might not have had much to work with, due to injuries, but FFS... when he does NOTHING to counter the blitzing... and his inevitable inability to convert 2nd and 1s is just nauseating...  does EVERY run have to be up between the tackles for a loss?  RFL, RFL, pass, punt?  I saw Brady pitch the ball to BlowJarjarGreenWillis and thought to myself, What exactly the fuck is that play? 

Think about the Redman TD for just one second.  Neither Redman nor Mendy got much traction running into the teeth of the Ravens D; not many RBs do.  But if you look at how clogged up their running lanes are, and how much penetration the DL was getting, it's not hard to understand.  On the TD, there were bodies around Redman, plenty of defenders in fact, but the density of those defenders was such that Redman could get a head of steam and crash through them.  If you think about the LBs and DBs outside the tackle, they might have relatively that same density on something run that way, meaning they'd win some, but we'd win at a better rate. And against lesser teams, we'd win a LOT more. 

A lot of bitching about the defense, and frankly I'm not playing that this week.  BMac ain't great, and I'd say a CB in R1-2 is a must, but he was coming back from a hamstring.  We know Gay and Madison can't start, and apparently the young guys (Lewis, Butler) aren't there yet either.  I'll cut BMac some slack for the injury angle, although even when healthy he's JAG and maybe only suited to the nickel or dime.  Fine.  In all the bitching over BMac, I rarely if ever see anyone fault Clark for his inconsistencies.  I've been saying for a couple of years that we need to upgrade FS, and that without Pola Clark was exposed last year. 

Credit Clark and McFad each for one big fuckup.  1Q, 6:57, Clark allows a 61 yard completion to Boldin that took Balty from the shadow of a safety, the Balty 3 to the Pitt 36, 61 yards.  Unforgivable.  I was having a flashback of Kordell to Bobby Shaw, in reverse.  2Q, 8:34, McFad gets burned by Stallworth, again from DEEP in their own territory, the Balty 6 to the Pitt 27, 67 yard gainer.  Some takeaways on those two plays: 

*Both long plays were 3rd down plays deep in their own territory (3rd and 15, 3rd and 6).  Giving up that kind of play at that down and distance is very bad situational ball.  You have to expect that. 
*OTOH, those two plays accounted for 128 yards of passing.  Otherwise, Joe Flacco had 15-31 for 98 yards through the air, and the Ravens had only 7 other passing first downs.  Those plays accounted for almost HALF (48%) of all the Ravens' yardage.  Steelers don't normally cough up the giant gainers in the **** LeBeau defense.
*Ike's biggest asset it straight line speed, so on 3rd and long deep in the purple, why wasn't he matched on Stallworth?  Keep Pola shadowing Boldin with Clark playing deep zone.  Forget having Madison in at all, keep 94 on whoever the TE is.

My biggest concerns are obviously the OL, the DBs, and overall team health.  Hope we can find a punter who's not a Berger.  Schedule from here out should be favorable, and hopefully Aaron Smith gets healthy for the postseason.  Doesn't look like Heat or Flo will be long-term dings.  Maybe these last 4 games see us start to show some kind of offense clicking.

Game balls to Ben and Troy, honorable mentions to Redman, Harrison, and Suisham.  Suisham has been clutch not only with kicks but also with doing a credible job punting.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #192 on: Dec 07, 2010 at 16:01 »

When Bmore had 3rd and 6 from their 5 yd line I said to Mrs. BV "I hope they don't give up a TD here".  I wasn't too far off.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #193 on: Dec 07, 2010 at 20:58 »

A lot of bitching about the defense, and frankly I'm not playing that this week.  BMac ain't great, and I'd say a CB in R1-2 is a must, but he was coming back from a hamstring.  We know Gay and Madison can't start, and apparently the young guys (Lewis, Butler) aren't there yet either.  I'll cut BMac some slack for the injury angle, although even when healthy he's JAG and maybe only suited to the nickel or dime.  Fine.  In all the bitching over BMac, I rarely if ever see anyone fault Clark for his inconsistencies.  I've been saying for a couple of years that we need to upgrade FS, and that without Pola Clark was exposed last year. 

Credit Clark and McFad each for one big fuckup.  1Q, 6:57, Clark allows a 61 yard completion to Boldin that took Balty from the shadow of a safety, the Balty 3 to the Pitt 36, 61 yards.  Unforgivable.  I was having a flashback of Kordell to Bobby Shaw, in reverse.  2Q, 8:34, McFad gets burned by Stallworth, again from DEEP in their own territory, the Balty 6 to the Pitt 27, 67 yard gainer.  Some takeaways on those two plays: 

Was already sloshed at this point, but couldn't tell what the coverage was.  Looked like McFadden locked on the inside receiver only to have the ball thrown behind him/ to outside.  It looked like some kind of whacked quarters coverage, or a cover two where McFadden totally lost track of his responsibility.  I guess my point is, from a physical standpoint, McFadden is serviceable.  I just think he is slow to recognize the down and distance (hence the 8-10 cushions on 3rd and 5-7) and ya know, sometimes he looks lost out there.  All fixable though.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #194 on: Dec 10, 2010 at 09:25 »

Here's a nice breakdown of Clark's blown coverage.  In my recap, I did note that this play was on Clark and not BMac.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #195 on: Dec 14, 2010 at 10:02 »

Arians might not have had much to work with, due to injuries, but FFS... when he does NOTHING to counter the blitzing... and his inevitable inability to convert 2nd and 1s is just nauseating...  does EVERY run have to be up between the tackles for a loss?  RFL, RFL, pass, punt?  I saw Brady pitch the ball to BlowJarjarGreenWillis and thought to myself, What exactly the fuck is that play? 

BTW, forgot to note the shock registered when ARE pitched out to the RB (forget who, Mendy?) in the Been-Gals tilt.  Does Arians read this site?

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #196 on: Dec 14, 2010 at 10:23 »

That was an unexpected call, I couldn't believe my eyes.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 ... 19 [20]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: