Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 16, 2014 at 16:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 09 - 11/8 @ Cincinnati  (Read 2667 times)
Robotman
Administrator
No longer a N00b!

« on: Aug 03, 2010 at 15:29 »

Send a few meat-missiles TO's way.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 13:31 »

Wow - 1st post in here and it's Monday.

We should kill these idiots, but you never know.  BA has been so horrible hopefully he's due to call a good game.  It might be better if he calls a mediocre game this week, which allows us to win, and he can call a miraculously lucid game next week vs the Patsies.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 13:48 »

I'm just surprised Otis hasn't commented on "meat missiles."

Buggles have been just horrid this year.  They get garbage time points to make the scores look closer than they are.  We should win this SOB going away, which means BA will find a way to keep it unnecessarily close.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 14:03 »

We should win this SOB going away, which means BA will find a way to keep it unnecessarily close.

Isn't that always the way? Win or lose, won't the game hang in the balance in the 4th quarter in 85% of Steelers games?

Plus, the curse of Barry. This MF who watches games with us, is the in-person jinx. He's like 0-7 in TN, but skipped the trip this year. Go figure. Last year, he was also in Chicago, helping to ruin my Steelers road trip game. He's in Cincy tonight. I've already told him that I'd rather do the time than ever let him attend a Steelers Superbowl.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 15:38 »

Traffic is really slowing on the site.

Page 1 five hours before a MNF game?  We gotta drum up interest, man.  Where are the boobies when you need 'em??

Like last week, this game has me uneasy, but not due to the quality level of the opponent.  On paper, Pittsburgh should smash these pussies.  Unfortunately, that kinda game almost never ends up playing out like you'd expect with this team.  As mentioned, all too often, these guys play down to "worse" teams.  Games that should be 24-3 at the half end up 13-3 or 16-3 or some shit.  The opposition thinks they have a chance and hangs around...one timely turnover later and they're driving for the game tying FG or TD.

The Steelers O should be able to get on track in this one.  If Ben, BA and the offense can't get in sync here, it doesn't bode well for the remainder.  Cincy's defense is pretty porous and is about as soft as they're gonna face.  No reason #7 can't have a 295YD/2 or 3TD day against them.  However, as shitty as Cincy has been, they can put points on the board and Pittsburgh's defense is vulnerable to the pass.  Couple that with the injuries along the DL, their recent inability to get to the opposing QB (since the bye -- 3 weeks -- think they've only got 3 or 4 sacks) and this game has a high~ish scoring feel to it.  24-20...27-24...something like that.

Key here is pressure on Carson Daly.  If their O-line gives him time, Pittsburgh will have issues.  Get to him early and get in a couple shots; make him have flashbacks.  Pittsburgh rolls if that happens.  I'm just not confident it will.  And frankly, how often do these intradivisional rivalry games turn into a blowout?  They're usually "unnecessarily close" as Mr. Wakeadamus mentioned.

Finally, as I mentioned in anudder thread, this is Pittsburgh's third road game in a row.  I really think there's something to be said for that fact.  Then, going into a hostile environment of a hated rival that just lost a game the week prior at home doesn't usually bode well for the visiting team, regardless of records.

Very.  Nervous.

Taking the (+6) points (was only +4.5 in my Handicapping Challenge league coupla days ago) to do my part in helping to secure a win.  Should be noted that I've been right more often than I've been wrong this season (66%~ish) tho.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 15:40 »

I think I predicted this to go 34-27.  General feel for it is that the Steelers will be chippy, given how we played the Bengals last year and a frustrating loss to NO last week.  Really can't find much to like statistically or aesthetically with how the Bengals have been playing.  So I think we open up a big early lead, then turtle up late and watch the Bengals flourish in the 4Q.

Scores by quarter going something like 14-0, 24-3, 31-10, 34-27.  

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 15:46 »

I think I predicted this to go 34-27.  General feel for it is that the Steelers will be chippy, given how we played the Bengals last year and a frustrating loss to NO last week.  Really can't find much to like statistically or aesthetically with how the Bengals have been playing.  So I think we open up a big early lead, then turtle up late and watch the Bengals flourish in the 4Q.

Scores by quarter going something like 14-0, 24-3, 31-10, 34-27.  

Yeah, was thinking of going with the over if I can get it in the 41.5, 42 range.  Figure, Pittsburgh's bound to get going offensively and at worst, Cincy will get theirs in garbage time against the prevent.

Translation:  Steelers win 13-6 in epic defensive battle.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 19:13 »

Game time men!  FUCKIN GAME TIME!

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 19:59 »

Like I said, we're going to strike early with... errrrr...  special teams and offense?

Good start, don't let up.  Kill the bastards.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 20:35 »

FUCK.

Kemo hurt.  Pouncey hurt.  Ward fumbles.  Gay can't cover Owens.

This here wine's turning to vinegar.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 20:51 »

That better be a catch.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 20:56 »

All right, git some back...

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 21:10 »

All right, Skippy musta had his roids today.

Best news: Pouncey is back.  That helps everything.

Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 21:12 »

FUCK.

Gay can't cover Owens.

Not sure which Steeler I dislike most - Gay or Reed. Both were culpable for the long return following the Steelers' second TD.

Anyway, at least Reed made a big-boy FG. I'll give him props for that.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 21:17 »

FUCK.

Gay can't cover Owens.

Not sure which Steeler I dislike most - Gay or Reed. Both were culpable for the long return following the Steelers' second TD.

Gay's been feast or famine tonight.  On the TD, he was trying to disrupt timing and hoping for 43 over the top, but Troy was distracted by Ocho.

They've sent Gay on a couple of blitzes.  I like the re-emergence of the corner blitz.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 21:21 »

Glad they got the FG but that was pretty lousy clock management. The spike wasted 11 seconds and they had 2 timeouts to burn, could have set up and taken a couple shots in the endzone.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 21:29 »

And BA is ready to turn into a pumpkin again.

1st series 2H:  slow & awkward sweep (+1); inevitable run by Mendy, sniffed out and LOS shattered (-3); and guess what comes next, kids?  3rd & 11, think we may need to pass?  Hey, if I'm a DC... I'm thinking, ummmm, send the wolves in for a sack?

SOS from Brucey.

Don't piss it away.

Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 21:31 »

FUCK.

Gay can't cover Owens.

Gay's been feast or famine tonight.  On the TD, he was trying to disrupt timing and hoping for 43 over the top, but Troy was distracted by Ocho.

They've sent Gay on a couple of blitzes.  I like the re-emergence of the corner blitz.

There's shitty Gay not being able to cover again...

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 22:04 »

Game.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 22:11 »

Okay, NOT game.  I take it back.

Again, I hate to question Dick LeBeau, but I don't understand going blitz-happy that early in the 4th.  Why not keep doing what's been working?

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 22:22 »

OK, two utter BS penalties: RTP against Casey and phantom PI on Ike.  Refs gave Cinci 7.

WE ALWAYS DO THIS.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 22:45 »

They keep doing this, I'm gonna need to start mainlining heroin just to calm the fuck down.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 22:59 »

I'll offer a theory on why the Bengals have this comeback potential.

They are a psychotic team, schizophrenic even.  When they're down, they're a disaster.  When they get it rolling, they become really hard to stop.  When you catch a bipolar on the upside, it's hard to keep 'em down.

(And I'm not trying to be insulting to anyone who has dealt with those issues in any way)

BTW, I'm tired of hearing these dingleberries go nuts over that Dline guy knocking out Troy on the TD.  He's a friggin' dlineman.  He oughta be embarrassed if he DIDN'T knock him out.   

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2010 at 23:31 »

They keep doing this, I'm gonna need to start mainlining heroin just to calm the fuck down.

Don't you fucking start with me.  Try this as your first game in decade without cigarettes.

The refs did their level best to keep cincy in the game but I guess their best just wasn't good enough.  And that's why the greatest love of all... goes to Rashard Mendenhall.

Arians finally is catching up with his film study.  This past week's assignment: Advanced Whisenhunt.  Next week:  Beginning Tom Moore.

We wish.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 08:05 »

Ok my worthless thoughts on the game.

1. Still need to take the handcuffs off Ben.  Too conservative late in the game, i.e. drive when Reed missed the 46 yarder
2. Mendenhall is a beast, period.
3. The refs just about gave them the game. Too many bs calls went against our boys
4. Harrison gets held almost every play, why is this not being called?
5. Thanks to the Bungles for not challenging the Ward TD.  Did not look like he was in
6. Was Ike on Chad the whole game? Why was he not on T.O.
7. B.A. needs to find a way to put teams away when we have the chance

A win is  a win, but man, hate that each win is taking years off my life. How about a few blowouts

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 08:10 »

For as much as the Steelers dominated that game it was absolutely shocking to see them have to break up a 4th down catch near the goal line to ensure a win.  Unfuckingbelievable.

Reed, ya hit a nice 53 yarder after their guy misses a 51 yarder and that looks like a dagger at the time.  Then you miss a 46 yarder to seal it late!?  That almost cost the game! WTFF!?

Hey preach, I'm beginning to think the Steelers are the schizoid team here, talk about a tale of two halves.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 08:16 »

I was hoping ARE's first reverse was going to set up something later, but with BA "behind the play sheet"  Nahhhh.  BANG.  He did it.  Although after ARE threw it, I was thinking that next week would have been a better time to whip that out.  Wallace needs to kill some time during ARE's reverse and throw.  With the amount of time it takes for that to develop, they will never get the ball deep enough for him.  Maybe they need to send Heat deep on that play instead.

I think In the past we put Ike on their #1 WR, no matter where he goes.  Not sure why Ike wasn't on TO last night, all the time.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #27 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 08:17 »

Granted, you take Kemo and Pouncey out and the offense is bound to sputter.  The defense is lights out and then they're giving up those 3rd and forevers again.  This is a frustrating team to watch.  On one play Troy puts a kill shot on a WR and later he's lost in the wash behind a running play.  Ben is underthrowing passes all over the field.  He's behind people, WRs are having to slow down.  He could have been picked 5 times.  Probably should have been pick a couple more than he was.

I think we're looking at a very lucky 6-2 team.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 08:21 »

It's always going to be tough when you're playing against an elite QB.

Ben was back to underthrowing the deep ball, but maybe everyone will underthrow #17. ARE did it too.

Chad was invisible, as always. Fun watching him cry.

Stuart Scott is unbearable. Fire up the Jug and finish him off, FFS.

Jeff Reed might as well start wearing the 3XL white jumpsuit, because the end is in sight.

I cringe every time the Whirling Dervish carries the ball.

Spaeth has actually made a couple of decent catches the last few weeks.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 08:26 »

After lying awake most of the night trying to breathe deeply...

*This game was about who controlled the short field.  We did early, they did late.
*I'm less agitated today than last night.  The Bengals, at home, in a must-win game lose their season at the 5 yard line.  The Steelers, on their third consecutive road game, could have been content to fall a game back of the Ravens.  Instead, their schedule includes only two road games (Bills and Ravens), so the second half looks favorable.
*A lot of people seem to think losing Holmes really hurts us.  IMO, Mike Wallace is a superior WR to Holmes, but is under-utilized.  Why BA cannot get it into his head to fire the ball deep on 2nd-and-shorts, I will never know.  After one deep miss on an underthrow, my first thought was to run the same exact damned play again.  Wallace is improving his routes, awareness and hands, and BA ignores him.
*BA: fucking WR screens.  I hate you.
*I realize that Starks has been gimpy, Pouncey got hurt, and Kemo went out, but our OL was giving me bad flashbacks.  They really do suck when you come down to it, but they've been getting it done better than years past.  We still need more talent there, though.  Mendenhall had some late success running in spite of them.  
*The Bengals remember Willie Gay, and that's why he was targeted all through the 2H.  Gay is a CB who cannot turn and run with the WR, period.  Not a winning trait.  Can make some plays with the action in front of him, though he did have a sure INT skip off his hands.  Maybe he borrowed Ike's gloves?  IMO, CB is another area of absolute need for this team.  And I'd keep Gay as a backup safety.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 08:33 »

More:

*What was Farrior getting into?  He looked faster and more decisive than he has in years, hot in coverage and pressure.
*Speaking of "hot," can we please incorporate hot reads into our offense?
*The last FG was set up by Arians being lulled by Mendy's success.  I say stick with what's hot, but you still have to throw some variation in.  You knew, you just knew we wouldn't be able to literally run out the clock.  Arians is a fucktard.
*Also knew, with no doubt in my mind, that Skippy would miss that late long FG and give up field position.  Much as I'm a fan of the kill shot, I'd have punted there.  Skippy sucks, fuckin' worthless drunko.
*Where has 43 been with anticipating routes?  He was all over the field again, doing his thang, but there were times we needed a turnover and I was hoping to see him jump a route and take it to the house.
*Refs absolutely tried to hand that game away.  Atrocious calls late almost wiped away an entire half of legit football.
*One crazy assed game.  I think I saw just about everything but Kordell punting.  Showed off, in turns, the best and worst of all three phases of our game.  Schizo?  Indeed we are.  We won't be getting it easy coming home to take on the Patriots.  Cannot, CANNOT make stupid mistakes.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 08:43 »

Like last week, this game has me uneasy, but not due to the quality level of the opponent.  On paper, Pittsburgh should smash these pussies.  Unfortunately, that kinda game almost never ends up playing out like you'd expect with this team.  As mentioned, all too often, these guys play down to "worse" teams.  Games that should be 24-3 at the half

Check.

end up 13-3 or 16-3 or some shit.  The opposition thinks they have a chance and hangs around...one timely turnover later and they're driving for the game tying FG or TD.

Check.

The Steelers O should be able to get on track in this one.  If Ben, BA and the offense can't get in sync here, it doesn't bode well for the remainder.  Cincy's defense is pretty porous and is about as soft as they're gonna face.  No reason #7 can't have a 295YD/2 or 3TD day against them.  However, as shitty as Cincy has been, they can put points on the board and Pittsburgh's defense is vulnerable to the pass.  Couple that with the injuries along the DL, their recent inability to get to the opposing QB (since the bye -- 3 weeks -- think they've only got 3 or 4 sacks) and this game has a high~ish scoring feel to it.  24-20...27-24...something like that.

Check and Check.

Key here is pressure on Carson Daly.  If their O-line gives him time, Pittsburgh will have issues.  Get to him early and get in a couple shots; make him have flashbacks.  Pittsburgh rolls if that happens.  I'm just not confident it will.  And frankly, how often do these intradivisional rivalry games turn into a blowout?  They're usually "unnecessarily close" as Mr. Wakeadamus mentioned.

Check.

Finally, as I mentioned in anudder thread, this is Pittsburgh's third road game in a row.  I really think there's something to be said for that fact.  Then, going into a hostile environment of a hated rival that just lost a game the week prior at home doesn't usually bode well for the visiting team, regardless of records.

Very.  Nervous.

Taking the (+6) points (was only +4.5 in my Handicapping Challenge league coupla days ago) to do my part in helping to secure a win.  Should be noted that I've been right more often than I've been wrong this season (66%~ish) tho.

At least you got the push.

How could you possibly get all of that right. Most doesn't even match up very well. You might want to play the lottery this week.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #32 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 09:03 »

Week 17 at the Browns...making it 3 away games vs. 5 home game.  I say we go 6-2 to end up 12-4.  Hold on, just have to put away my calculator...

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 09:51 »

*The last FG was set up by Arians being lulled by Mendy's success.  I say stick with what's hot, but you still have to throw some variation in.  You knew, you just knew we wouldn't be able to literally run out the clock.  Arians is a fucktard.

Play action on SECOND down is the call here.

The one worthwhile observation by the commentators was that Mendy was calling for a sub before the third-down play.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 10:06 »

Week 17 at the Browns...making it 3 away games vs. 5 home game.  I say we go 6-2 to end up 12-4.  Hold on, just have to put away my calculator...

Yep, sorry, missed that.  Three road games, and the Browns are certainly no gimme.  Still favorable setup. 

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 11:46 »

Play action on SECOND down is the call here.

The one worthwhile observation by the commentators was that Mendy was calling for a sub before the third-down play.

Instead of keeping Miller in to block, how about some PAP, which keeps Mendy or MM in the backfield blocking?  Talk about a quicker play to get the ball to Wallace, that's it.

The semi-screen passes, or whatever they were workerd brilliantly.  I think there were 2 of them.  BA called it once last week vs NO on the very 1st play then never went back to it.

How about some kind of designed roll-out PAP?  Like Manning's "stretch play"?  Geezus - the options are endless.

Hopefully moving forward, Tomlin won't be content to settle for a fitty yd FG to seal it.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 11:52 »

How about some kind of designed roll-out PAP?  Like Manning's "stretch play"?  Geezus - the options are endless.

Well, they did it once--ONCE--and it worked great.  Mendy rammed it down to the 2 yard line.

In the grand tradition of Bruce Arians, we never used it again. 

RE:  Manning's stretch play rollout.  It's not even a full-blown rollout.  It's almost a half-roll where he changes the location of the pocket and slows down the pass rush, sets, and delivers one of those deep outs or long over-the-middle plays.  But Ben's too erratic to do something like THAT.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 11:57 »

That's what I mean, since Mendy was actually having some success, they could have really set the hook by running that stretch type PAP play.  They had the D sucking up to the line, biting on the run big time.  Would have been a perfect time for a pap.

Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: