Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 29, 2014 at 03:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 08 - 10/31 @ New Orleans  (Read 2726 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Oct 31, 2010 at 23:44 »

Gotta give credit to Saints.  Pride was wounded last week and defensively they responded like SB champs.

90% of this on the O.  Even when the D gave up points it was usually off a short field due to turnover/missed FG/ turn over on downs.

Weird I had a feeling when Heat was running might get a fumble there.  Just seemed out of control.
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Nov 01, 2010 at 01:11 »

Where the hell is our damned pass defense?  And Ive said this shit a few times now...#20 can suck my fat ass.  Watch it folks.  He was the cover corner on both TDs.  And I dont wanna hear any shit about him causing a fumble.  FUCKIN YAY.  You did your job.  Finny could have rolled off the bed, shit out a kashi, and still made it thru that gaping hole in the line on that play.  McFadden has shown JACK FUCK all year!!!  And I would LOVE someone to prove me wrong on that.

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Nov 01, 2010 at 07:50 »

Not that he really affected the outcome, but I'm beginning to grow weary of Jeff Reed.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #43 on: Nov 01, 2010 at 08:00 »

Ike must do a lot we cant't see, but I wish his dumb ass would act normal when he does what he is supposed to, which is making a play.  Gay and McFadden think they are badd asses when they make a play.  That's great, except for they make 1 good one for evey 5 in which they get smoked.

I had a feeling Brees would pick'em apart.  I also am starting to think that BA is a complete dumbass.  Wait, uh, any chance he might have an accident and fall on a knife a coupla dozen times?

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Nov 01, 2010 at 09:00 »

In addition, Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians called his worst game of the season. Pittsburgh was predictable by running too often on first down, which New Orleans picked up on quickly. That produced long down and distances for the Steelers.

Straight from the Mothership (Dan Patrick, on his daily TV show refers to ESPN as the Mothership - hilarious)

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/19722/five-things-we-learned-about-the-steelers

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Nov 01, 2010 at 09:20 »

I think this really highlights a lot of my dissatisfaction with Arians.  Not to totally make it an Arians bitch session, but your defense plays a very solid game, and you can't take advantage of it.  That GL series, first and goal from an assbeard hair away from 6, and you settle for 3?  It's just our offense, summarized.

*Wouldn't it be nice if we had a big receiving TE we could throw to?

*Saints realize that all you have to do is blitz, but our receivers aren't savvy enough to break off routes for the hot read?  

*They're down to their 5th CB, and we can't flood the field with WRs to take advantage?  

*Does every first down HAVE to be a rush?  Couldn't we take some shots through the air on 1st and 2nd, instead of having every 3rd down try to be a make-or-break 3rd that the defense knows will be a passing down, and hence a down to send the blitz?

*Speaking of predictability, I have no problem with running 3 times on that aforementioned GL stand IF our OL is healthy and clearing junk on a regular basis.  Hint: they're not.  You have Legursky pulling, leaving a gaping hole for the defender to shoot for a TFL.  Fuck.  You can't bull ahead for 6 fucking inches?  Really?!?  Then guess what, fuckface, try a PAP on first to the MIA TE.  Why?  BECAUSE NO ONE WOULD EVER EXPECT THE PSO TO EVER DO IT.  BECAUSE THEY DON'T.  

*Why BA doesn't scrap stupid shit like those end-arounds to 17 and screens to 86 is beyond my fucking ability to comprehend.  Call me a fucking simpleton, but I'd just chuck the ball as deep as possible to 17 3-5 time per game instead.  It worked vs. Miami, so naturally we never tried it again.  We're up against a radically thin secondary, so why even fucking bother with the deep ball?  It's not like they're just bringing the heat up front.

*ARE does nothing for me.  Nice guy, not going to cough up the punts, but FFS, put Sanders or Brown in there.  Same with the offense.  He's mostly reliable, but why not get the younger guys in?

*Late game D is still bad.

*Tomlin doesn't seem to get time management at the half, what a good challenge is, or how to make in-game adjustments.  It's almost like he does he work during the week and then just sets the guys loose under the coaching of the coordinators.

*Ben said the offense never got into a rhythm on Sunday.  I'd say that's been the case pretty much all year, outside of a half of ball versus Tampa.  A lot of that is suspension related.  A lot of it just seems to be a stunning lack of awareness of how to keep drives going, so MT and BA.  Our 3rd down convo rate is the shits.  We are beyond predictable.  

You have to wonder why this offense is constantly settling for 3s.  6-0, instead of 14-0.  You get up 14-0, even against an offense that has shown it can score in a hurry, it changes the dynamic of the game.  We never put our boot on the throat of the other team early, we just do this pitiful lurking around bullshit and hope we get the breaks to swing our way late.  Coaching is about more than hoping.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Nov 01, 2010 at 09:21 »

In addition, Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians called his worst game of the season. Pittsburgh was predictable by running too often on first down, which New Orleans picked up on quickly. That produced long down and distances for the Steelers.

Straight from the Mothership (Dan Patrick, on his daily TV show refers to ESPN as the Mothership - hilarious)

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/19722/five-things-we-learned-about-the-steelers

Yeah.  Duh.  If you went through the play by play for the entire season -- hell, throw in last season too -- it'd be the same damned thing.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #47 on: Nov 01, 2010 at 09:59 »

I think this really highlights a lot of my dissatisfaction with Arians.  Not to totally make it an Arians bitch session, but your defense plays a very solid game, and you can't take advantage of it.  That GL series, first and goal from an assbeard hair away from 6, and you settle for 3?  It's just our offense, summarized.

*Saints realize that all you have to do is blitz, but our receivers aren't savvy enough to break off routes for the hot read?  

*They're down to their 5th CB, and we can't flood the field with WRs to take advantage?  

*Does every first down HAVE to be a rush?  Couldn't we take some shots through the air on 1st and 2nd, instead of having every 3rd down try to be a make-or-break 3rd that the defense knows will be a passing down, and hence a down to send the blitz?

*Speaking of predictability, I have no problem with running 3 times on that aforementioned GL stand IF our OL is healthy and clearing junk on a regular basis.  Hint: they're not.  You have Legursky pulling, leaving a gaping hole for the defender to shoot for a TFL.  Fuck.  You can't bull ahead for 6 fucking inches?  Really?!?  Then guess what, fuckface, try a PAP on first to the MIA TE.  Why?  BECAUSE NO ONE WOULD EVER EXPECT THE PSO TO EVER DO IT.  BECAUSE THEY DON'T.  

*Why BA doesn't scrap stupid shit like those end-arounds to 17 and screens to 86 is beyond my fucking ability to comprehend.  Call me a fucking simpleton, but I'd just chuck the ball as deep as possible to 17 3-5 time per game instead.  It worked vs. Miami, so naturally we never tried it again.  We're up against a radically thin secondary, so why even fucking bother with the deep ball?  It's not like they're just bringing the heat up front.

*ARE does nothing for me.  Nice guy, not going to cough up the punts, but FFS, put Sanders or Brown in there.  Same with the offense.  He's mostly reliable, but why not get the younger guys in?

*Late game D is still bad.

*Tomlin doesn't seem to get time management at the half, what a good challenge is, or how to make in-game adjustments.  It's almost like he does he work during the week and then just sets the guys loose under the coaching of the coordinators.

*Ben said the offense never got into a rhythm on Sunday.  I'd say that's been the case pretty much all year, outside of a half of ball versus Tampa.  A lot of that is suspension related.  A lot of it just seems to be a stunning lack of awareness of how to keep drives going, so MT and BA.  Our 3rd down convo rate is the shits.  We are beyond predictable.  

You have to wonder why this offense is constantly settling for 3s.  6-0, instead of 14-0.  You get up 14-0, even against an offense that has shown it can score in a hurry, it changes the dynamic of the game.  We never put our boot on the throat of the other team early, we just do this pitiful lurking around bullshit and hope we get the breaks to swing our way late.  Coaching is about more than hoping.  

Agree with just about everything.  Either Tomlin or BA have this mentality that says they aren't going to adjust to what the other team is doing, we are going to do what we plan to do.  That's great, until the O is getting stuffed on every freakin play including every 1st down run.  How about a WR Screen, 5 wides to back some of em off the line, the screen pass on the opening play seemed to work.  Also seems like MM could have had 200 yds receiving if they would have run that 5 or 6 times.

Sanders is getting some good yard on returns, but the dude just isn't quite fast enough.  Don't get me wrong, he is quick and fairly fast, and is getting Steelers some great field position, but I think Brown needs some more chances.  Waaaaay faster than Sanders, IMO

ARE - Last in the league in PR average.  Not good.  BUT, ARE was open last night, consistently.  For some reason Ben turns into Kordell when throwing to ARE.  Over his head, skidding in 4 yards short, etc etc.  I think we need him as a receiver, and a fair catcher when opponents are punting from the fitty.

Robo - That dude kept them in the game during the 1st half.  How many times was he punting from the 20 or 25 and getting the punt or fair catch at about the 20 yd line.  Dude is money.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #48 on: Nov 01, 2010 at 11:25 »

That would be awesome...Do you think we can get one with our mid-first round pick this year?

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #49 on: Nov 01, 2010 at 11:55 »

Weird. 

Was totally expecting that performance last night.  After the Saints shit the bed against the Stains last week with all the turnovers, I thought having to go into their place the following week on primetime was gonna be damn near impossible to overcome.  Not to mention that it's the second of a consecutive three game road trip for the Steelers (doesn't setup well for next week either after Cincy shit the bed at home against the Fins this week, IMO).

As to the game, Ben and the offense looked more in sync in Week 6 than they did last night; almost looked and felt like they didn't practice at all this week.  The playcalling hit the "cold" of their hot and cold season.  Some games BA looks semi-competent, while in others, he looks totally overmatched.  Yeah, I know Greg Williams is the Grand Pubah of Defenses, but c'mon, they're sending the house every other fucking play.  Why do you keep calling 5, 7 step drop routes with all the WRs streaking downfield?  Dumpoffs?  Quick hitch?  Crossing routes?  How about a PAP rollout?  Quick hitters...dink and dunk (read:  NO's approach late).  Something, anything to slow down the defense's roll.

But alas, it isn't to be.  Goddamnit, we came up with a solid gameplan and we're sticking to it.  Sooner or later Mendy is gonna break through on that trap play on 1st down against a 8 or 9 man front.

*sigh*

Defensively, people can bitch and moan all they want, but if your squad is holding that offense to 3 at the half and 10 or 13...can't remember, exactly...at the end of 3, they're doin' their job.  Big hits; solid tackles; big plays kept to a minimum (kinda).  Can't ask for much more than that.

To throw in a baseball analogy, that game felt a lot like when your ace takes the mound and he pitches a complete game gem in a 2-1 loss.  He strikes out 9, walks 2 and gives up 6 or 7 hits with the lone dagger being that 2 run homer he gave up in the 6th.  You'd expect to win that game, but the bats just couldn't get anything going to give him any run support.

Oh yeah, a couple other random notes that popped into my head: 

*I don't think I saw Hines smile once during that game.  Never a good sign.
*Flozell Adams has been a pleasant surprise.  Never thought I'd hear myself say that.  IMO, he's played better than expected and I might even go so far as to say that he's played better than Colon has for Pittsburgh to date.
*No excuses about Smith and Keisel being out.  Hood and Eason did an admirable job in their absence; Hamp was a beast.
*Did Reed pass on his pregame routine?  In New Orleans?  Bourbon St.?  Hell-ooooooooo!   Dude shoulda been nailin' 60 yarders with ease...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: