Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 18, 2014 at 17:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 04 - 10/3 - Baltimore  (Read 5369 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2010 at 10:11 »

And fuck CBS for giving me the epic Bengals/Browns matchup instead of this game.

That better not be the game I get this week.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2010 at 10:13 »

SWEET!  I finally get the Steelers game!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2010 at 10:34 »

They mentioned last week during one of the gamers that Pitt/Balty is the feature game this weekend.  Soooooo, if you aren't in a particular market, you should get this game?!?!

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2010 at 10:39 »

Yeah I'm technically in Cleveland's market and every year I go through this shit until the Browns are like 1-5 and the fans here stop caring. Then they start showing steeler games.

It's funny because it's about 50/50 steelers/browns fans where I live but the browns get preference. I'm still holding out hope they switch the game, it has happened in the past.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2010 at 10:59 »

Peyton Hillis ran on these Ratties like they were the Lions or *something.  I doubt they allow that to happen again, but Mendenhall has been getting his yards, as Otis would say, "in big gashes."  Ravens will stack against the run and send everything they can at Charlie.  If he doesn't get killed, that could mean some big plays.  Doubt we surprise them with 17, but Reed is out so the CB will need Zbikowski over the top.  Zibby is a guy who can make some plays, but he def doesn't have the deep wheels.  Aside from turnovers, we win or lose this game up front, our OL against their front 7+.  They'll be taking crazy shots at us hoping to knock Batch out of the game.  Expect a lot of dirty ass motherfucker hits, even for these bastards.

I don't care if Ray Rice's knee is bruised, he'll run and run it well, even against us.  And McClain is 5x the load that LeGarrett Blount is, IMO.  We'll be doing our best to keep those two under 100, but it'll be tough.  Good news for the DL rotation is that Hokie may be back already.  What puzzles me is that Heap is relatively healthy, Mason is still a reliable go-to, and now they have Boldin, yet their passing game seems sort of scattershot.  I think 20 and 24 will do fine against the Mason and Boldin, and 94 is playing lights out, so he can cover Heap.  Really, past those guys they don't have a lot.  Stallworth (the DUI guy, not the PS HOFer) is hurt.  Flacco's looked rattled to me, and the Jets D really shut his ass down.  Hell, they had a hard time getting going until late against the Browns.  

Sets up as a typical PS-BR slobberknocker, of the aforementioned 12-9 variety, but if the Steelers can hold a pocket and CB can keep the ball coming out and test that paper secondary we could blow the roof off the mother. In other words, a close, hard-fought game, unless it isn't, and if it isn't it's all us.  If we get the passing game going, it could be a 24-10 type of deal.

DVOA on Football Outsiders and Sagarin ratings both skew Steelers.  Overall DVOA for us is 33.50%, and Balty is an atypical -1.30%.  Sagarin has it Steelers 29.12 (+3.16 HFA, or 32.28) and 23.41 Balty, or a spread of about 9 points.  

Digging deeper into the DVOA, which gets more accurate as the season progresses and the inter-team data deepens.  Remember that positive DVOA is good on offense and STs, and negative is good on defense:

PSO v. BRD[/u]

Passing: -18.4% (25th) v. -21.7% (4th)
Rushing: 7.4% (7th) v. -2.5% (19th)
Overall: -8.4% (27th) v. -12.0% (6th)

It's no surprise our passing game has been largely ineffective: it was able to carve out some big plays against TB, but primarily in the first half, so 16 of 18 quarters have been lackluster.  Hard to ignore how well CB played once he settled though.  The big surprise is how efficient the BR pass defense has been without Reed and a secondary sans Foxworth and Webb.  That's all about applying pressure up front, as noted above.  The numbers look bad for us passing, but as I noted we could break out.

The PS rush game is no surprise: we've been tearing yardage out of opponents like a great white shark tears chunks out of slow swimmers.  The BR are again the real surprise: you'd expect their pass and rush DVOA to be switched.  This seems to indicate we'll be able to rush the ball, especially since ATL, TEN, and TB all rank higher in rush defense DVOA.  I ust don't buy it in a meaningful divisional game where the BRD sees stopping the run and pressuring the QB as the key.  But it's possible we'll all be surprised.  

Over/under 90 yards for Rashard Mendenhall?

BRO v. PSD[/u]

Passing: 2.3% (21st) v. -29.4% (3rd)
Rushing: -16.9% (26th) v. -40.5% (3rd)
Overall: -12.3% (30th) v. -33.7% (1st)

Yep, it's hard to believe, but the PSO has a higher DVOA than the BRO.  Not only that, but the real weak spot is the effectiveness of the running game.  Steelers are stout across the board, so it looks like a complete mismatch however the BRO tries to attack.

I'm having a hard time seeing this offense scoring more than 10 on us.

PS ST v. BR ST[/u]

PS: 8.2% (2nd)
BR: -1.0 (19th)

I gotta say, two guys who seem to be having an immediate impact are OL coach Sean Kugler and ST coach Al Everest.  It astounds me to be ranked second league-wide in ST DVOA.  

*Baltimore has allowed 383 yards rushing through 3 games, good for 23rd best in the NFL, between 22 Philly and 24 Oakland.  Their 4.7 YPC may be even more telling, 26th in the NFL, as YPA tells you their consistency against the run and not just that a team attempted to run a bunch of times.  Cf. Pittsburgh, 3rd in yards allowed (179) and 4th in YPC (2.6!).

« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2010 at 11:09 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2010 at 23:34 »

You know, I think Harbaugh is even more annoying than Billick who is, frankly, a pretty good analyst if you ever catch him.

I tell ya who knows their shit is, honestly, Gruden.  That little fucker is amazing.  I think it was the Titans game he announced?  Hell, one of them.  The bastard knew what they were gunna run before THEY did. 

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2010 at 08:16 »

You know, I think Harbaugh is even more annoying than Billick who is, frankly, a pretty good analyst if you ever catch him.

I tell ya who knows their shit is, honestly, Gruden.  That little fucker is amazing.  I think it was the Titans game he announced?  Hell, one of them.  The bastard knew what they were gunna run before THEY did. 

I do like Gruden but he suffers from the disease wherein the two teams he is currently watching are the greatest two teams with the greatest QBs and the greatest RBs and the greatest etc.  Other than that I'd agree.  Plus, whenever he's talking, Jaws ain't.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2010 at 11:32 »

*Fantasy related*

I think Batch might be a sleeper start here.  Most pubs have him as a "dud" this week against the #1 ranked Ravens pass defense*.  For obvious reasons, those numbers are skewed and as others have mentioned many times, no Ed Reed should make it easy pickin' in the passing game.  Now, I'm not expecting a 3 TD game again, but 200-250 for a couple TDs isn't out of the question.

Hell, if I had access to our MGS league, I'd pick him up and start him this week...if someone hasn't already done so.

* Stats accumulated against the Jets, Bengals and Browns vaunted pass offenses.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2010 at 11:47 »

Hell, maybe I'll pick up Batch.  I need SUMPTHIN' to give me a shot to win this year!

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2010 at 12:31 »

*Fantasy related*

Hell, if I had access to our MGS league, I'd pick him up and start him this week...if someone hasn't already done so.

Tell ya what, aj, I'll go ahead and pick him up and we can work out a deal for, say, Frank Gore.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: