Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 30, 2014 at 17:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 01 - 9/12 - Atlanta  (Read 4811 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Sep 12, 2010 at 15:41 »

Tough, hard-fought game. 

I guess I need to get back in to the mindset that the Steelers D gives up some but holds at the end.

I did think there were many missed tackles.  McFadden is better than Willie Gay but I was surprised he was on White.  Expected Taylor.

Dixon played pretty well, all things considered.  Some bounce passes early but he played well in the 2nd half.  Stat line was better than I expected.  I guess he didnt' have to get more done on the ground but would like to see him use that asset more next week on some designed run plays.

Sepulveda saved the Steelers on field position today.  Just an awesome day.

Falcons PK got it in to the EZ almost every time, from either side of the field.  Glad Reed got it in to the EZ on the last KO.  As we all do, I wish he did that with more consistency.

Hated the last two O plays before the end of the 1st half.

Didn't understand the TO before the 2 minute warning.

Mendy spins too much for my liking but he was good for much of the day.  Redman too.

Ward was clutch today.  Some in the media have assumed last year's bum hamstrings indicated the end of Ward.  IMO, he's been a great leader on the field and in the papers, as of late. 

Tough to be w/o Hampton and Starks.  Starks likely is out for a while, which isn't good. 

Adams had his obligatory FS penalty.

I thought the DL did a good job of creating space for the inside pressure.

Great win.  If we end up 2-2 when Ben returns, I'll be very happy.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Sep 12, 2010 at 15:42 »

How sweet it is.  helmet

1-0

Next wk @TEN who put a whoopin on OAK.

CLE and CIN both lost, big surprise.  :rolleyes:

I expected Cleveland to whoop up on TB, which is a terrible team and expected a closer game from Cinci.

I read at pft.com that T.O. and Ocho5 left for halftime early and were not available for the last hail mary play of the half.  Sounds about right.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #42 on: Sep 12, 2010 at 15:54 »

I expected Cleveland to whoop up on TB, which is a terrible team and expected a closer game from Cinci.

I read at pft.com that T.O. and Ocho5 left for halftime early and were not available for the last hail mary play of the half.  Sounds about right.

Yeah, considering it was TB you're probably right.  But I always expect CLE to lose.

That TO and Ocho info doesn't surprise me a bit.  Must have had to film a promo for their reality shows.  Marv Lewis has rarely demanded accountability from anyone on that team.  If he were coaching for any other franchise, I expect he'd have been axed long ago.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #43 on: Sep 12, 2010 at 15:58 »

That TO and Ocho info doesn't surprise me a bit.  Must have had to film a promo for their reality shows

clap

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Sep 12, 2010 at 16:54 »

Ii cannot say this emphatically enough... tremendous win.  That was the kind of game we lost consistently last year. 

Mendenhall is going to be a horse.  Redman showed alot too; but the OT carry demonstrates that #34 should have 20-30 touches a game.  Best play call of the day was the slip pass to Mendenhall on the very first drive.  He is a very valuable weapon catching passes out of the backfield.

The defense was as good as advertised.  Hope Snacks' injury isn't significant, because he absolutely destroyed the consecutive games center dude on the Falcons.  Timmons was great against the run, Harrison has to be held to be stopped, and Lamarr Woodley (in the words of James Brown) is a man-- he's the son of a man.  The corner play was average, Ryan was throwing floaters all day and so we should have had multiple picks. 

Best thing about the defense was that they were violent again.  Turner and Ryan will both have trouble getting out of bed tomorrow. 

As for Dixon, well, we won, and that's all we ask of him.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Sep 12, 2010 at 19:26 »

Also meant to add:  #86 is an incredibly intelligent football player.  The run he made after the falling down catch was remarkable.

There is only one Hines Ward.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Sep 12, 2010 at 20:49 »

There is only one Hines Ward.

Me: What is Hines Ward?
Junior: Money.
Me: Correct. Hines Ward is money.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #47 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 06:42 »

Hines Ward = anti-TO/Ocho/Mosso/Calvin Johnson-Ho.

The old man is still THE man.

And he is a young QBs best friend.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #48 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 08:37 »

Yeah, loved when Hines got up and started running.  Not sure who the CB was who started to reach to tap him down "as a formality," then started turning around to look for him like "WTF...?!?" 

Game went pretty close to the way I expected, a little lower scoring, but the D played pretty damned tough.  That's a nice Falcons offense, and they have a tough run D, as I noted before.

Somewhat concerned about Starks and the MAS, if it lingers all season.  Odds Hills beats Scott as LT replacement even though Scott played fairly decently?

Also hoping Snacks gets back soon.

DD continues to have accuracy issues on downfield passes, mostly related to timing rather than placement.  On the first pick, it was like he didn't see the guy; maybe so, but if that pass is out sooner, with better touch, no issue.  Guys who make it in the NFL have a certain mental game clock speed setting, which DD isn't showing yet.  So no, no QB controversy, fuckhead Florio.  But that said, I did think BA kept the training wheels on too much.  We needed to open up the offense more, especially in the 2H after DD had a chance to get his feet wet.  Just before DD hit 17 downfield on the long throw, I said to Mrs. that that was what we needed to do and who we needed to go to.  Hopefully we see more downfield jabs.  DD may never be the killer medium-range passer, but you have to work in some deep stuff to keep the D honest.  Sanders would be another guy to use for that.

Pola was relatively quite until the pick.  But his presence makes the whole D better.  That said, he did have a whiffed tackle, as did Potsie, and Keisel, and a few others.

Timmons was a force.  He patrolled the middle and brought pressure.  I think he had 11 tackles?  And I don't recall him being one who whiffed.

LeBeau did bring Ike on the CB blitz at least once, but while the pressure forced Matty to throw early there were no picks.  This is something to watch, Ike on the CB blitz.  Could be something used a lot.

McFadden did OK, despite Roddy White's huge game.  But we badly need a CB who can take out the top WR any team fields.  Draft '11?

Pouncey seemed good.  Flozell was fine, with the FS we knew would come.  I think the OL actually played OK for a change, even when Starks was out.

STs did not blow chunks.  This is a major step forward. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #49 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 09:16 »

Two more things.

Rashard Mendenhall had a nice season, but it still felt like he had something to prove: he didn't have a signature game, no real statement game.  He has one now.  That motherfucking run was the emotional catharsis this team needed as they teetered on the verge of OT going the wrong way.

Question: I have to go back and look at the Matty non-fumble in slo-mo, but it seemed to me that Timmons hit him before the arm was going forward.  Wouldn't that sequence mean it was a fumble rather than INC, or is that irrelevant?  Either way, nice hustle again from Timmons, and too bad for 92, who almost had the play of the game running it back for a TD. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: