Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 16:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 01 - 9/12 - Atlanta  (Read 4989 times)
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #50 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 09:28 »

Even being the homer that I am, I was pretty certain it was in incomplete pass.

Looked to me that Ryan clearly was throwing the ball forward.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #51 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 09:31 »

Rashard Mendenhall had a nice season, but it still felt like he had something to prove: he didn't have a signature game, no real statement game.  He has one now.  That motherfucking run was the emotional catharsis this team needed as they teetered on the verge of OT going the wrong way.

So the Steelers get the ball at midfield and I tell the kid that they need to throw on 1st down to mix it up. I was dreading a couple sorry ass runs then forcing DD to convert a 3rd and long, squandering great field position.

Of course, #34 goes house and the kid looks at me with this "You dumb shit!" expression on his face. I'm sure it won't be the last time I see that.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #52 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 10:09 »

Question: I have to go back and look at the Matty non-fumble in slo-mo, but it seemed to me that Timmons hit him before the arm was going forward.  Wouldn't that sequence mean it was a fumble rather than INC, or is that irrelevant?  Either way, nice hustle again from Timmons, and too bad for 92, who almost had the play of the game running it back for a TD. 

I believe that the wording of the rule defines control of the ball rather than when the hit occurs. Timmons did hit Ryan  (and even hit the throwing hand and ball) before the arm was coming forward, but the ball did not come out of his hand until after it was moving forward. I believe that it was interpreted correctly, but I am glad that the refs let it play out because blowing it dead means that it would not have been able to be challenged (despite what the guy interview guy on the broadcast said). I hope they continue to do that.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #53 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 10:19 »

Question: I have to go back and look at the Matty non-fumble in slo-mo, but it seemed to me that Timmons hit him before the arm was going forward.  Wouldn't that sequence mean it was a fumble rather than INC, or is that irrelevant?  Either way, nice hustle again from Timmons, and too bad for 92, who almost had the play of the game running it back for a TD. 

I believe that the wording of the rule defines control of the ball rather than when the hit occurs. Timmons did hit Ryan  (and even hit the throwing hand and ball) before the arm was coming forward, but the ball did not come out of his hand until after it was moving forward. I believe that it was interpreted correctly, but I am glad that the refs let it play out because blowing it dead means that it would not have been able to be challenged (despite what the guy interview guy on the broadcast said). I hope they continue to do that.

Kinda thought that to be so, but agree that letting the play roll and then reviewing is a better way to let action roll.

Anyway, great play by Timmons, and kudos to 92 for not assuming the shit was dead.  Man plays to the whistle like a lion that hasn't eaten for a week.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #54 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 11:59 »

Dixon needs to ditch the #10.  That uni is cursed for QBs.  Was having flashbacks to '00.  The only thing missing was a Troy Edwards sighting.

Defense played very well, but I also thought that the Atlanta offense played pretty conservatively and predictable.  The Gonzo/White/Turner trifecta had me worried, but it seemed like Ryan was overly concerned about getting it Gonzalez for his 1000th.  IMO, that messed with their mojo.  They're a better team than they showed, I think.

Mendenhall fit the bill as a horse; still see things I don't like though that I've harped on since his college days -- the spinning and going down too easy for a guy his size/strength (read: that one play where a defender yanked him back by his jersey and he went down).  IMO, that should not happen.  Also, remember that he had 70 yards on 21 carries prior to that OT EZ sprint.  See how he does next week against some stout Tits.

A win is a win though.

Hopefully the Snacks and Starks injuries aren't too severe.  Snacks will be missed severely against those Tits.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #55 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 12:13 »

Timmons was everywhere yesterday, playing like we have all been waiting for him to do since he was drafted, let's hope he can keep it up on a consistent basis.  If he plays like that all season in the middle, with Harrison and Woodley outside, opposing offensive coordinators are going to have a lot of sleepless nights this season.

McFadden is such a clear upgrade over Gay it makes you wonder why they ever let him walk in the first place.  Sure Roddy White had 12 catches, but he had absolutely nothing after the catch.  A few of those White receptions McFadden couldn't have done anything about, they were just perfect throws from Ryan.

I thought Ryan Clark missed out on an easy pick, don't remember which quarter.  The ball was badly overthrown and Clark was looking to lay the receiver out, when if he was looking for the ball would have been an easy INT.  Gay dropped a sure pick as well. 

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #56 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 12:16 »

I thought Ryan Clark missed out on an easy pick, don't remember which quarter.  The ball was badly overthrown and Clark was looking to lay the receiver out, when if he was looking for the ball would have been an easy INT. 

Yeah, but in that situation the guy has to make a snap decision, and Ryan Clark is going to go for the kill shot every single time.  Ask Wes Welker.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #57 on: Sep 14, 2010 at 10:23 »

McFadden did OK, despite Roddy White's huge game.  But we badly need a CB who can take out the top WR any team fields.  Draft '11?

Pouncey seemed good.  Flozell was fine, with the FS we knew would come.  I think the OL actually played OK for a change, even when Starks was out.

Agree on all points.  Pouncey looks like he could be a real difference-maker in the middle if the talent develops around him. 

It seemed to me that McFadden was in man coverage a lot, and was right on top of White on several completed passes.  Good throws, good catches--one where White was going out of bounds comes to mind.  He's a top-notch receiver, so can't complain too much about BMac's performance.

I did LOVE it when LeBeau pulled everyone back in order to sucker Ryan into throwing the out, letting Troy jump the route.  That was a critical defensive play call at just the right time.

Looked like Scott did okay.  Will be interesting to see what we do this week.  Hoping that one of these draft picks that looked terrible will end up panning out.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: