Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 13:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preseason Game #3 - 8/29 @ Denver  (Read 4071 times)
Robotman
Administrator
No longer a N00b!

« on: Aug 03, 2010 at 15:46 »

I hope somebody gets a good lick on Tim Tebow.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2010 at 10:15 »

BV has secured tickets to the game.  Same seats as last year's game, 4th row in "visitors" end zone.

Since it's pre season, I'm guessing there will be more Steeler fans than Bronco fans.  The lot we tailgated in for last seasons game was mostly Steeler fans anyway, so it should be good.

That's all I got.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2010 at 11:41 »

So, Dixon, Pouncey, and Keenan Lewis all get reps with 1st team.  I expcet Ben for a series, that's it.

Ryan Clark's not going to Denver, so who gets his snaps?  Mundy, or Allen?

Apparently both rookie WRs are showing good stuff.  They want to see how well each guy learns new assignments, so ES will go from Z to X and AB will go from X to Z.

If they don't look totally confused, that's a very, very good thing.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 17:08 »

Yes, I've very excited with our rookie WR's, not to mention Wallace. Might even provide return depth, and free up a roster spot by letting Stefan Logan go.

Maybe Colbert finally picked some mid-round talent that will make the team.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 17:50 »

Yes, I've very excited with our rookie WR's, not to mention Wallace. Might even provide return depth, and free up a roster spot by letting Stefan Logan go.

Meant to comment in the Giants game thread.  Logan spent the entireity of the first half as far as physically possible from Tomlin.  Literally the last guy on the bench.  I said to jasonic I figured that meant he was in doghouse for some reason, but then he played the second half and had a nice return or two.  So, dunno.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 19:12 »

Cheap penalty on Lewis on the push out on Royal.  #26 had Royal by the legs and Royal was going down when momentum carried Lewis in to Royal

Sep with a terrible KO to start

Timmons with a PF penalty.  Haven't seen the replay yet....just saw it, Timmons betta be glad this is preseason.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 19:13 »

Steelers D better reign themselves in prior to Game 1..pretty undisciplined the past two games with stupid penalties.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 19:23 »

Mendy running well but I'll never love the multiple spin moves...he doesn't protect the ball well enough to spin that often

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 19:32 »

So far tonight, Keenan Lewis looks like shit to me

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 19:36 »

Troy overpersuing everything in sight

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:01 »

No no no Dennis Dixon.  That's how you lose a qb competition.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:06 »

Another PF penalty against the D

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:10 »

And another.

Still though, I think it's just a sign they're ready to hit for real.  LeBeau's D's have never been undisciplined.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:10 »

Lewis with a second PF. 

Guess it is a preseason game but this isn't a way to impress.

Awful officiating tonight IMO on both sides.  Lewis' second PF is what happens after most plays where guys get tangled up.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:14 »

Seeing him this year in person and on TV, I think we got a live one in Larry Timmons.

Tea Boner coming in soon. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:18 »

I hate the fact that Flozell Adams is a steeler.

It's strange that someone is wearing #88.

No personal foul on the Dixon hit, because only the Steelers commit those, obv.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:20 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:20 »

FS on #78 and FS on #71 on the next play

If this is a "dress rehersal" for the regular season, as Tomlin called it, I'd get another opinion

And if that's Silverback hitting a QB like that, it's 15

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:25 »

Do I really need to witness interviews with a first string QB and his two backups? 

My guess is Teblow's interview is twice as long as Orton's

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:28 »

Dixon making the most of an opportunity.....

(Keep reminding self this is only a meaningless preseason game, keep remind self this is only a meaningless preseason game....)

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:29 »

I wonder if Dixon will start the second half, or if Lefty will be (un)officially named the starter.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:31 »

I was really hoping for a great outing from Dixon, as I was hoping it would up his trade value after the season.

Just a really sloppy first half.  Poor vision from Dixon, undisciplined D

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:47 »

I've seen the Denver PK  boot it a few yards in to the EZ at both ends of the field.

WTF is wrong with our kickers?

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 20:52 »

Dwyer looks fat.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 21:00 »

No way Dwyer makes the team.  I'd rather have Logan as the 4th back and be able to assist on STs.

Absolutely horrible call on the 4th and 1.  No fucking way we (should) run that in the regular season.  Put Legs in at FB and Redman in a RB.  Challenge the OL for the push, Legs to make a key block and Redman to hit the right hole. 

God this team is stupid tonight

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 21:15 »

Can someone knock Tebow in the chops?

Worilds was worthless on that play...right in front of Tebow and couldn't even get his arms/hands up

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 21:27 »

Yep, Dwyer is awful.  Falls down in the open field, doesn't know the playbook, and can't break a tackle.  Easy cut, I say.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 22:01 »

You gotta figure the batch int is on the receiver.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 22:18 »

Yep, Dwyer is awful.  Falls down in the open field, doesn't know the playbook, and can't break a tackle.  Easy cut, I say.

Did you watch a different game.  Bastard plowed the pile on one play, and the next he busts out a sweet run. 

Seriously, were you joking?

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 23:08 »

Did you watch a different game.  Bastard plowed the pile on one play, and the next he busts out a sweet run. 

Seriously, were you joking?

You obviously weren't watching the game when he was in against the *ahem* Denver Broncos second team.

Hell, even I could push the pile against a bunch of future arena leaguers.

But then, you might have been watching a different game.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 08:03 »

I guess the coaching staff has seen enough of Redman already, I hope, to keep him!?!?

He only got the ball once or twice if my drunken memory is correct.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #30 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 08:49 »

I'd like to see what Dwyer can do at the goal line

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 08:55 »

I think Redman's making the team for sure, BV.  He's had a year of strength and conditioning, and he can bull the tough yardage better than anyone.

All the young guys I wanted to see except Pouncey were a bucket of bloody stool.

Hozell Adams is living up to all my worst expectations.  As the wily fuckin' vet he should be looking more settled.  Hard to believe but he may actually get us more FSs than Colon.  Hope someone among the young guys can push him for starting time.  He's about worthless.

Solution to the week 1-4 QB dilemma: blackface, and chloroform BL.  Upside: BL's chance of signing a hefty FA contract goes thru the roof.

It is preseason and all, but that was dag nasty.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 09:51 »

Agree with the "dag nasty" & "bloody stool" comments Mr. Wake, but I'm unclear what you mean by your solution to week 1-4 QB dilemma.  You thinkin' BFL?

I'm inclined to go the other way on this.  It's just a little tough (for me, anyway) to hand the "QB controversy winner" trophy of last night's game to the guy that went 0'fer the night against Denver's second teamers.  Long story short: this pre-season with the starters Leftwich went 9 for 16, & Dixon went 9 for 16.  With the scrubs, Leftwich was 0 for 4, & DD 13 for 15.  Leftwich had 1 TD & no picks total, while Dixon had 1 & 2.  Their overall QB rating is within 1 point of each other.

The two INT's were painful, but that's fairly common with young pups.  I'd like to think he'll learn from 'em.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 10:07 »

Agree with the "dag nasty" & "bloody stool" comments Mr. Wake, but I'm unclear what you mean by your solution to week 1-4 QB dilemma.  You thinkin' BFL?

Slap some blackface on Ben, dress him in BFL's uni, and let BFL sleep off the chloroform in the locker room.  No post-game interviews, "Byron."

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 10:13 »

Tomlin going after Keenan Lewis = priceless.  That may be the singularly most pissed off I've ever seen the guy.  Kinda glad for that, too.

Dwyer still looks like a cut to me, despite a decent late effort: too little too late in the pre, dude.

Also, nice pick almost-6 from Crez Butler.  Off that, I'm inclined to keep him on the 53-MR.  I mean, a corner who can play corner (cf. ST-er Madison) and who can hold onto the ball (cf. Ike).  Sheesh, what next, William Gay starts to flourish as a nickel back?

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 11:33 »

As a general response to KC, I thought Lefty had horrible protection last night.  Worse than what Ben and Dixon had. 

I guess the advantage for Dixon is that he can move when the line inevitably breaks down.  I'm pretty concerned about Dixon's judgment, though that is more likely to improve than Lefty's mobility.

Both sucked.

I turned the game off before Batch came in but I'm with Penso...Dwyer was awful through most of the game.  The long run I saw in the 3rd (?) quarter of about 15-20 yards had Dwyer avoiding contact and slipping/falling out of bounds...WTF?

Re: ability at the goal-line, as we saw last night, any short yardage is handled in the most obscure, least likely to succeed way.  Slow QB sneak or a pass in to the flats.  We have no short yardage game.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 11:37 »

Dulac saying Lewis could be on his way out.  That would be a message to send but likely won't.

Guy is an idiot for punching/breaking a glass case last night, which would irk me the most.  The other stuff is coachable.  That is just stupid.

Didn't get to see Butler.  I doubt he makes the team but glad to see some rooks showing this preseason. 

Was it Brown last night who caught a punt inside the 3 yard line?  Lotsa dumb out there last night.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 12:17 »

Was it Brown last night who caught a punt inside the 3 yard line?  Lotsa dumb out there last night.

Seemed like Brown was trying too hard to break something.  Sometimes young guys respond to competition by trying to do too much, which I think was the case not only with Brown but with Dixon also.  Was the second pick on him or Sanders?  Aikman was quick to blame the receiver but it was hard to tell with the nekked eye.

Logan just fair caught everything, as if to say, "Look at me!  I'm a vet! Keep me on the team!  You know you need someone to hold kickoffs!"

A shabby Charlie Brown.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 12:18 »

Dulac saying Lewis could be on his way out.  That would be a message to send but likely won't.

Guy is an idiot for punching/breaking a glass case last night, which would irk me the most.  The other stuff is coachable.  That is just stupid.

He needs to be looking at Tomlin when he is getting "taught" on the sideline. That's something a kid would do (and if it was mine, there probably be some hitting going on shortly after that). Either the camera angle was funky, he's got two lazy eyes (which may explain why he couldn't cover my grandma with a blanket), or he's just plain disrespectful.

Yeah I think so. The worst part is that he's all we really have that is worth the price of the uniform to do that job.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 12:22 »

Dulac saying Lewis could be on his way out.  That would be a message to send but likely won't.

Guy is an idiot for punching/breaking a glass case last night, which would irk me the most.  The other stuff is coachable.  That is just stupid.

He needs to be looking at Tomlin when he is getting "taught" on the sideline. That's something a kid would do (and if it was mine, there probably be some hitting going on shortly after that). Either the camera angle was funky, he's got two lazy eyes (which may explain why he couldn't cover my grandma with a blanket), or he's just plain disrespectful.

I saw that too.  I think it was right after the "little bit extra" pf he got.  Not surprised he was disgusted with it.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 13:08 »

Yeah, that eye avoidance was directly after Lewis's second PF. I think he was just afraid to look Tomlin in the face...Tomlin was pissed. Lewis should probably be cut after last night's bullshit.

I know that Antonio Brown made a completely stupid move fielding that punt inside the 3, but I saw enough the week before to be convinced that he and Sanders should be able to platoon and take over for Logan.

Dwyer, me thinks, is vastly inferior to Redman in the area where he should be most valuable -- short yardage.
If Redzone doesn't make this team, I'll be sick. Dwyer can go home for all I care. Color me unimpressed.

Interesting that no one pointed out how effective that Gay guy was in nickel coverage. Too bad he isn't worthy of anything other than a nickel package.

Still can't believe we have not overhauled the OL in the past few years. This year could get ugly

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 13:30 »

I'd love to see Tomlin sit Lewis down and straighten that kid's head out.  But it wouldn't surprise me if he were shown the door after all that.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 13:37 »

As a general response to KC, I thought Lefty had horrible protection last night.  Worse than what Ben and Dixon had. 

Agree completely.  The point I was trying to make was that, sans the typical newbie INT's, Dixon played comparably to Leftwich behind the starters so far this preseason.  With the "lessers" in, Dixon has outperformed BFL. It might be a better option to let him keep the seat warm while BR is out, & see what he's got.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #43 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 16:20 »

Agree completely.  The point I was trying to make was that, sans the typical newbie INT's, Dixon played comparably to Leftwich behind the starters so far this preseason.  With the "lessers" in, Dixon has outperformed BFL. It might be a better option to let him keep the seat warm while BR is out, & see what he's got.

I see what you're saying.

I guess I feel either way, I don't like it. 

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Sep 01, 2010 at 11:37 »

Quote from: Wolfley
The Blame Game
Filed Under: Steelers, Steelers Sideline, Offensive Line Play
Win or lose, there's always more to it than meets the eye. There are obvious gaffes, and then those which appear to be obvious, but the crux of the problem lies elsewhere. The bottom line though, is that a team wins together, and loses together. Finger pointing is the single most destructive element that can tear apart a locker room. And something to be avoided at all costs.

Take the Steelers loss at Denver the other night. An obvious gaffe is a false start, right? So obviously Max Starks jumping off-sides, followed on the next play by Flozell Adams was a no-brainer. As an astute fan of the game, you might find yourself jumping the gun and want to point the finger.

"Hey, these guys don't have their heads in the game!"

Easy to make the call. Unless you realize that the Steelers were going on a silent count. In a silent count, the QB signals the center, and the center keys the rest of the line. You have a rookie center starting his first game with a 350 lb pro bowl NT breathing heavily on his snout. Was it the rookie center or the two veteran tackles? This takes some real timing. If the center is just a hair slow in his mentally rhythmic countdown, false start. If he's ahead of the silent snap rhythm, the defense has a decided jump on the offense. Same with the tackles, and their ability to stay on rhythm. Does that make the false starts acceptable? No, but it sure changes the discussion, doesn't it?

So, who's to blame on this one? We used to have two rules back in the day. Rule #1-Never point the finger at someone else. Rule #2-See rule #1.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Sep 01, 2010 at 12:32 »

Let's play a game. How can we pin the play of Lewis on our rookie center? Obviously, I'm just being facetious, but to blame the false starts of two tackles who already have a history of less than stellar play and who were a problem that most fans noticed heading into this game (and the season...and last season for that matter) on a rookie center who seemed to all who watched to have a very good (and great by the standards set by the rest of the O-Line) game is just ludicrous.

I used to play center and when we ran a silent count, it was the rest of the lines responsibility to watch the ball for the snap. They don't get the advantage over the DL of knowing when the ball was snapped, but the point of a silent count was either because the noise prevented a more traditional snap count (in which case why would the center be able to signal the tackles any better than the QB) or to catch the defense off guard (in which case, the rest of the OL would have the advantage of knowing that it was coming, but still having to watch for the snap to happen). I agree that players should never point the finger at each other or it becomes a big locker room problem, but, as fans, we do have some knowledge about the game, and do have the right to call out our Tackles when they probably wouldn't sniff playing time (let alone start) on half the other teams in the league.

Addams used to block for Troy Aikman for Christ sakes. Aikman...Troy Aikman. The QB who beat the Steelers in SB XXX in '95. How old is this guy?

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Sep 01, 2010 at 12:58 »

I agree with you, k-man, but I posted this because I do like Wolfley's POV most of the time.  I think the larger point that they're still getting their timing down is worthwhile, and one of the guys at Steelers Lounge analyzed the rest of Adams's Denver game and rated him pretty highly.  So I'm willing to give the guys a couple of weeks to work this shit out, but yeah, I think FS and getting beaten by speedy edge rushers will haunt Flo all season.  My question is, are the OTs queueing off the ball per se as you did, or are they running off a count? 

Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: