Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 23, 2014 at 19:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preseason Game #2 - 8/21 @ NYG  (Read 2568 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 10:52 »

One thing I've taken away from the first two early preseason games...Pittsburgh seems to have better backups than most.

*sigh*

:nervous:

Again, Dennis Dixon needs to start.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 11:42 »

Thoughts from having seen the game live:

re: kickoffs.  Sepulveda kicks the ball higher than Reed does.  The hang time on his KO's is sick, which should make up for the fact that as noted, they still drop at the 5 or 10.  He absolutely beat that blocker up to make the tackle too. 

re: Ben and the deep ball.  We've been noticing these underthrows for years now, and the poster who noted that he waits until the receivers are too deep probably has a point.  But I still think it's his release point, which looks to my naked and untrained eye more like 60 degrees than the optimal 45. 

re: Flozell.  Horrible.  I lost count of the number of Giants that he either ran past or allowed to run past him.  I think he thought he was still assigned to block Harry Carson and couldn't find him.

re:  Worilds.  I actually thought he did ok, though we were walking out during the 4th quarter.  Very fast, first point of comparison is Timmons.  Who, by the way, played pretty well in run support.

re: QBs.  Fact of the matter is we simply won't know what we have in Dixon until Tomlin starts him.  Leftwich played like shit until the deep ball. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 12:20 »

re: kickoffs.  Sepulveda kicks the ball higher than Reed does.

I hadn't really noticed...or wasn't paying close enough attention, but my buddy said the exact same thing after watching the game.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 13:00 »

re: kickoffs.  Sepulveda kicks the ball higher than Reed does.

I hadn't really noticed...or wasn't paying close enough attention, but my buddy said the exact same thing after watching the game.

You can really tell when you're sitting in the upperdeack and the kicks almost reach eye level.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 13:11 »

I was just amazed how far he could kick it with the wrong foot.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 14:25 »

The D wasn't all that great vs the the Giants 1st stringers with their 3rd string QB.  Any other starter would have carved them up.  I know there's no game planning, etc. but not all that great, IMO.

The O looked less than optimistic against a decent D.  Arians running his "trick plays" (those are trick plays for that vanilla idiot) that they obviously practiced once, didn't give the O a chance to put together a decent drive.  I think the rook WR's show a lot of promise.  I think they are a good compliment to Ward, Wallace, and ARE.

Leftwitch is a little slow, so I'm guessing the TD was his 3 step, but took as long as a 5 stepper.  He dropped back, and launched to hit him in stride.  For Ben, or anyone else, if they drop and look at Wallace as the 3rd or 4th option, there is no way they can get to him on the run.  Can't see what isn't on TV, but Wallace needs to run some "outs" or post routes.  He can beat any CB 1 on 1 , and doesn't need much of a move to beat the S.

I'll be checking it out in more detail next Sunday in Denver!!!

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 14:29 »

The D wasn't all that great vs the the Giants 1st stringers with their 3rd string QB.  Any other starter would have carved them up.  I know there's no game planning, etc. but not all that great, IMO.

The defense was unbelievably bland.  Nothing that I saw by way of stunts or blitzes besides Harrison or Woodley coming off the edge, and I thought they still got good het on the QB (except on the one TD drive they had).

I think when you see these guys live, BV, you'll be pretty amped at what the D can do once d*** unleashes hell. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 15:12 »

I will be all liquored up and reday to see hell unleashed.

I know Tomlin needs to see more of Dixon and Lefty in action but I'd also like to see Ben and starters for more than one or two series.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 15:50 »

Anyone hoping to add to the 2010 Steelers Reunion, don't count on Ty Carter or Carey Davis.  Both signed by the 'Skins.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Aug 23, 2010 at 16:13 »

Thank goodness, Carter is gone.  I can't stand watching that little gangster.  If he could do anything worthwhile, he might be worth having, and then he would actually have something to jump around about, but that just ain't the case.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: