Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 19:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preseason Game #1 - 8/14 - Detroit  (Read 1539 times)
Robotman
Administrator
No longer a N00b!

« on: Aug 03, 2010 at 15:48 »

Roar.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2010 at 17:32 »

Loins 4 2sterels 222
Bary "frank sanders 134 2td
big bryan leftwitch 78 yds 3

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2010 at 18:50 »

Brutal.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2010 at 19:29 »

A screen? A Screen!!!
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2010 at 19:56 »

OK, just got in and got Oat's link.  Did Ben play at all?

I'm still the one with the boobs.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2010 at 20:01 »

Don't think so. I missed the very start. Golf was delaying some of the online streams.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 12:07 »

Whoa.  5 replies?  Get out.

Only caught the first half and change last night after a weekend long marathon session of painting.  

A few quick points off the top of my head from what I saw:
  • You know it's kinda sad when you're envious of the Detroit Lions offensive line.
  • If it's possible, I think BFL's windup has actually gotten longer.
  • I'm going to stand by my initial prediction that Gary will get sacked anywhere from 14-18 times in the first four games.
  • I liked Redman last year.  This year, I like 'em even more.  If he doesn't make the roster, he must've Delonte West'ed Tomlin's old lady.  Didn't get to Dwyer's PT.
  • As big as Mendenhall's guns are, you'd think he would be able to hold onto the rock.
  • Nice to have Mr. Smith back.
  • I know he's into his 30s and has probably lost a step or two, but why doesn't ARE get some punt return looks?  Can't be any worse than Logan.
  • An int?  A fucking INT??!!
  • Between Battle, ARE and the kids, maybe they'll be able to find an OK #3.  Still doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling though.  Way too thin at such a critical position.  Injury at that position would be death.  *flashback to '05 after Plax was let go*  And yes, I certainly wouldn't mind a similar outcome this year, but they're much more dependent on the passing attack now than they were in '05.  The ground attack is nowhere near as good either.
  • Farrior looks quicker than I remember.  Timmons looks solid too.
  • Is it me or does Pouncey look awfully...slender for an O-lineman?  Even at center.  Looks like he should be lining up at #2 TE instead of on the front five.  Haz a cheezzburger or two, man.
  • Flozell might have the slowest (laziest?) feet on the squad.  That's really saying something.  Almost makes me wonder if he and Essex should swap.  Seem to recall Trai doing OK at tackle when he filled in here and there in prior years.  Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.
  • Is Batch essentially been relegated to a coaching/emergency backup QB role?  Is it a health thing?  I gotta say that I'd feel a little more comfortable with him over Lefty.  Plus, that's gotta be a kick in the teeth to Charlie and Dennis.  Here's a guy that was cut from the fuckin' Bucs, he gets inked and is now starting over both?  I might even roll with Dixon over him too.
  • Most importantly, no serious injuries...at least in the parts I saw:

« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2010 at 12:10 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2010 at 09:15 »

Redman looked great, even getting a coupla yds after hitting the brick wall at los.  They actually succeeded with running plays on 3rd and short.  That's refreshing.

I thought the same thing about Pouncey.  Looks like a tall LB.

Is there a QB in the league with an arm big enough for Wallace?  If he's on a go route whichever QB is playing needs to take a 3 step drop and launch it.  The rook WRs look promising.

I guess while Ben is suspended they'll carry 3 qb's.  When he comes back, surely they have to cut one of them.  I guess time will tell who that will be, but I think Batch would be a keeper over Lefty.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2010 at 09:43 »

Local CBS affiliate aired the game, but pre-empted the entire 1Q for golf, so I had to wait for the NFLN airing.  Watched the 1H last night, and agree with much already said. 

• Lefty v. Dixon.   Lefty may be able to get the entire playbook digested by game 1, but given the strides in camp and PS game 1 that DD has shown, I'm inclined to give Dixon the edge as starter.  (Granted, DD got a lot of his stats v. Lions fringe guys, but it seems his confidence and competence appear to be stronger than ever.)  Lefty can sling it, but not with this line, and he's easier to gameplan against.  Dixon's mobility gives us an X factor.
  • Redman v. Dwyer.  Prior to camp my thinking was Dwyer would struggle to assimilate the playbook (big jump from GT's spread to a pro style) and to get sufficient playing time to impact, but that he'd make the cut based on upside.  Now I think Redman could make that all moot.  We could easily carry 3 HBs and hope Dwyer lands on the practice squad.  And if not, not.  As aj mentioned, he's running better this year, and has to be in better condition, so I think he makes it.  Poor man's LeRon McClain?
  • The frickin' OL. I can overlook Kemo's whiff, but Flo is struggling.  My hope is that he can get his shit together over the next few weeks, because frankly RT is a mess otherwise.  Pouncey may be a bit thin, but he's a rook, so let's criticize his physique after he's had a couple years of S&C: the important thing is that he looks comfortable at C, and is learning the calls, especially 3rd down.  If he's doing this well now, he'll be better as he continues to get his feet wet.  On another board, I predicted about a month ago that Hartwig would be the surprise cut, and I believe it more now.  Hills looks to be solidifying a backup spot, but Urbik IMO may also be in jeopardy.  Realy, really need Kugler to get this group in shape.   
  • ARE & Logan v. Sanders & Brown. <
  • Timmons.  <
  • Shard.  <
  • ST cover units.  I think games will be easier to watch if I institute a drinking game: any time the kickoff returner brings it out past the 35, I do a NyQuiltini shot.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2010 at 11:25 »

Finally got around to watching the second half last night.  Only a couple other thoughts.

• As many have already mentioned, I don't think Lefty should start.  If he does, it will be a huge mistake.  Krodel...ah, I mean Dixon or Charlie deserve to start.  Frankly, after watching the whole game, I don't even know why Gary is even on the squad.  They really don't need him.  In retrospect, I think his signing was kinda a knee jerk reaction to #7's foibles (with part of it being his familiarity with the system too).  If Batch and Dixon are healthy, BFL is just not necessary.
  • Sanders has pretty soft hands.  (92%)  He reminds me a little of Holmesy in stature and size, but more fluid.
  • Hills might, just might develop into a decent tackle.  Foster looked halfway decent out there.  By halfway decent, I mean he didn't look totally lost.

• On another board, I predicted about a month ago that Hartwig would be the surprise cut, and I believe it more now.

Another Steeler board??  Slut.

• Hills looks to be solidifying a backup spot, but Urbik IMO may also be in jeopardy.  

He looked decent, but you wanna know what irked me about him...this is going to seem petty to some...at least two or three times on a run play he walked right by a Steeler RB that was laying on the ground and didn't offer to help him up.  You've finished off your block (something I saw him do several times) and/or the play is over; you're walking back to the huddle and you just ignore your teammate on the turf??  Fuck that, dude.  Lend a hand, bruh.  Show some camaraderie for other guys in the same uniform.  Considering his history, he should be pushing opponents out of the way to help somebody up.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: