Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 22:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cowher: Roethlisberger finally showing maturity  (Read 442 times)
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Aug 25, 2010 at 10:06 »

Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher says it was hard to get through to Ben Roethlisberger after the quarterback had so much success early in his career.

Yet Cowher believes the sexual assault investigation that led to a six-game suspension for Roethlisberger was a "slap in the face" that has led to some much-needed maturity.

In an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday, Cowher described how Roethlisberger used to respond to advice about his off-field behavior. "'But we're winning games. We're winning championships,'" Cowher recounted. "'What do you mean? Isn't that what we're here to do?' "

"Yeah," Cowher said, "but there's more to it than that."

"It's the whole body of work. It's you as a person, what kind of legacy you want to leave," he added. "I really think he understands that now."

Cowher coached Roethlisberger during the quarterback's first three seasons. In Year 2, he became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl. Roethlisberger picked up another ring under Mike Tomlin after Cowher retired, only to put his stellar career in jeopardy.

Roethlisberger was not charged after a Georgia college student accused him of sexual assault, but commissioner Roger Goodell still suspended him for the first six games of the season, citing a "pattern of behavior" embarrassing to the NFL.

Roethlisberger has said Cowher was one of the people he turned to for advice as he tried to get his life back on track, and that the two are now closer than ever before.

"Just like with your children, sometimes when you say things to them: 'Yeah, right.' They have all the answers," Cowher said. "All of a sudden, the older they get: 'Maybe he's right about that.'

"I think Ben has had a chance to reflect a lot. I think he's a good person. While it's unfortunate, I think it may be an eye-opener to him, kind of a slap in the face."

Some people mature later than others, Cowher said, and he believes Roethlisberger is a late bloomer.

"There's no question as a player he's always been a great player," Cowher said. "But there's a lot more to this professionally than that. It's how you carry yourself off the field. I think he realizes that now. I really think you're going to see a different person."

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2010 at 10:13 »

"It's the whole body of work. It's you as a person, what kind of legacy you want to leave," he added. "I really think he understands that now."

"I think Ben has had a chance to reflect a lot. I think he's a good person. While it's unfortunate, I think it may be an eye-opener to him, kind of a slap in the face."

You'd think that would've all happened after his face got up close and personal with a Chrysler.

Some people gotta learn the hard way.  Some people never fuckin' learn.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2010 at 11:26 »

Cuz there just hasn't been enough piling on Ben.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2010 at 00:00 »

It's kinda hard to listen to someone when they're spitting in your face....

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2010 at 07:18 »

I think it's a good sign that Ben reached out to Cowher, actually.  Like I said before, the guy needs a life coach.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: