Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 04:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanks for the worthless information  (Read 484 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Aug 30, 2010 at 09:33 »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Ben-Roethlisberger-Pittsburgh-Steelers-lose-to-Denver-Broncos

Headline on FoxSports read "Denver dominates Steelers in preseason."  Since we've got nothing else to do until Sept. 12, let's take a look at this.

When Ben was in the game, Steelers outgained the Broncos 140 to 67 (or something like that).  We tried Dennis Dixon with the starters, and it didn't work out so well.  We put Gary out there with the backups, and found out that we need a backup QB who can run.  Lil' Timmy Tebow came in and looked decent against 10 guys who may well never play a down for the Steelers.

This is why I hate preseason, and I especially hate any "analysis" of preseason.  Words like "dominate" should never be used.  It's a scrimmage.  It's a practice game.  You want to do well, you want to win, but it ultimately means nothing.  Let the coaches figure out who looks good and who doesn't.

The only thing we learned last night are things we already knew:

Our backup Oline blows worse than the first one. 

One more injury on that oline could destroy our season. 

We're going to miss the hell out of Ben.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 10:19 »

yea, I was surprised how mediocre Dixon looked with the starters.  Is it something inherent in all of our QBs to not throw the ball away ever?

Mendenhall looked good I thought as did Ben so hopefully we won't lose all 4/6 games without him and be ok.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 10:44 »

Is it something inherent in all of our QBs to not throw the ball away ever?

This might be one of the best questions ever posed. I think you're onto something.

Re: the headline of the article, on the surface, it's factually correct, so it doesn't bother me one iota. Further solidifying my apathy toward the headline is that A) it has no bearing on anything and B ) it's in reference to a preseason game.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 10:49 »

Re: the headline of the article, on the surface, it's factually correct, so it doesn't bother me one iota. Further solidifying my apathy toward the headline is that A) it has no bearing on anything and B ) it's in reference to a preseason game.

Can't disagree with that, but I get really irritated at the over-reaction to preseason happenings in sports media.  I know you can pick up some general trends, but tone it down a little and realize that, as you say, it is a PRE-season game.  For example, the Carolina Panthers have yet to score an offensive TD in the preseason.  This is a concerning trend.  But it doesn't mean they're offense is horrible or that they're going 4-12.  Steve Smith isn't playing.  Yet the local media is beside themselves about it.

Undefeated or winless, preseason is a pretty useless predictor of the regular season.  In '05, Ben went 15-29 with a passer rating around 30.  He then had a near-perfect rating in the first two games of the season.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 16:31 »

"Denver dominates Steelers in preseason."

BuckOhs beenig FORESEEN AN TOW!!1111111 Seelers playffs owt

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: