Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 02:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 
  Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 game suspension cut in half?  (Read 567 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member
*****

Karma: 5531
Offline Offline

Posts: 14,889


« on: Sep 02, 2010 at 09:26 »

Dunno if I'd be taking this approach, but I guess if they're gonna ask for somethin', you might as well ask for the moon and stars and settle for the moon.  Why ask for three then?  Ask for two and settle for three or four.

Sources: Steelers QB wants shorter
By Sal Paolantonio

Sources: Roethlisberger Wants Reduction
Sources: Steelers Ben Roethlisberger to seek three-game reduction in six-game suspension

Sources: Roethlisberger Wants Reduction

In Friday's meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Ben Roethlisberger's representatives plan to ask the commissioner to reduce the six-game suspension by at least three games, bringing along team president Arthur J. Rooney II to the New York meeting to support the quarterback's case, sources with knowledge of upcoming proceedings told ESPN.

Roethlisberger was suspended in April for six games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy a week after prosecutors decided not charge him in a case involving a 20-year-old college student who accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub in March.

At the time, Goodell pledged to consider reducing the length of the suspension if Roethlisberger complied with a number of league-imposed conditions, including a comprehensive behavioral evaluation, and stayed clear of any other off-field problems.

Most observers believe Goodell has had in his mind all along to reduce the suspension by two games to four. But Roethlisberger's attorney, David Cornwell, is expected to ask for a greater reduction in the suspension, according to those with knowledge of discussions between the commissioner's office and the quarterback's representatives.

Some in the Roethlisberger camp have argued that since Roethlisberger is the first player suspended by Goodell under the personal conduct policy who has not been arrested, charged with or convicted of a crime, he should not be suspended more than two games. His camp has always considered the six-game suspension too harsh. But few believe Goodell will go that far, and some in the Roethlisberger camp do not want to anger the commissioner by asking for too much.

Goodell wrote to Roethlisberger in April: "The Personal Conduct Policy makes clear that I may impose discipline 'even where the conduct does not result in conviction of a crime' as, for example, where the conduct 'imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person' ... or conduct that 'undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL.' "

At the time of the suspension, Rooney released a statement agreeing with and supporting Goodell's ruling. It's not known what role Rooney will play during Friday's meeting between the commissioner and Roethlisberger.

If the suspension is reduced to four games, as expected, Roethlisberger would presumably spend the Steelers' bye in Week 5 getting ready to start at home against the Cleveland Browns in Week 6 -- giving him two weeks of preparation for his first game back.

The Steelers were heartened last month when Goodell said Roethlisberger was going "above and beyond" what the league asked him to do since the two-time Super Bowl winner was accused of, but not charged with, sexually assaulting a Georgia college student. The quarterback has stayed out of trouble since the March incident, and he spent considerable time during training camp interacting with the team's fans.

"I'm very encouraged by what he's doing," Goodell said at Steelers training camp. "He hasn't just done what he's been told to do, I think he's worked hard to really try to improve and focus on himself and understand what he's been through and what he's going to do differently going forward. I think that's a very positive thing."

Asked what the league still needs to see, Goodell said, "He's got to work through the program that's designed for him to help him. A lot of that is confidential, but he's done it and he's done it with enthusiasm. I think that's a good thing."
Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member
*****

Karma: 7051
Offline Offline

Posts: 10,867



« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 09:39 »

Quote
Dunno if I'd be taking this approach, but I guess if they're gonna ask for somethin', you might as well ask for the moon and stars and settle for the moon.  Why ask for three then?  Ask for two and settle for three or four.

From the outset, everyone knew it would be dropped from 6 to 4 if Ben made any kind of effort. So you have to ask for less than that.

If it was DirectTV, I think he could try for 2. I'd say 80% chance it's 4 games, with a 20% chance Rog drops it to 3.
Logged
Merman1983
Old School Member
*****

Karma: 5199
Offline Offline

Posts: 1,385


Master of the figure-four leglock


« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 09:41 »

sure would be nice to have him back by the baltimore game. I hope Ben and his representatives point out the 25 players who have gotten dui's since his suspension, and shit like cedric benson, who now has three. that's a little more dangerous than allegedly chasing chubbies into a bathroom.
Logged
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member
*****

Karma: 11360
Offline Offline

Posts: 11,337


Have a cup o' joe.


WWW
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 09:42 »

Maybe he can get it down to 0 if he agrees to an ankle alcohol monitor and home arrest.
Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member
****

Karma: 2069
Offline Offline

Posts: 749



« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 09:49 »

Maybe he can get it down to 0 if he agrees to an ankle alcohol monitor and home arrest.


Yeah, that idea worked great for Lindsay Lohan!
Logged

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Preacherman0
Old School Member
*****

Karma: 5808
Offline Offline

Posts: 4,784



WWW
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 10:36 »

Quote
Maybe he can get it down to 0 if he agrees to an ankle alcohol monitor and home arrest.

Whatever it takes.

Kind of agree with Otis that this may not be the best tactic to take.  It makes all of Ben's efforts appear very superficial (which they may well be) and might give a whiff of a lack of integrity.

At the same time, after looking at what the rest of the people in this league are doing, Ben's actions don't seem nearly as bad as they initially did 6 months ago.  Guys who commit murder, do drugs, slap people around, etc. are getting slap on the wrist penalties at worst.  Rookies are making porn tapes.  I am glad that Ben is being held accountable and that he has apparently "sobered up" a bit, but three games sounds about right at this point.

Still, don't think he'll get any lower than 4.
Logged

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member
*****

Karma: 12187
Offline Offline

Posts: 22,058



« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 11:07 »

sure would be nice to have him back by the baltimore game. I hope Ben and his representatives point out the 25 players who have gotten dui's since his suspension, and shit like cedric benson, who now has three. that's a little more dangerous than allegedly chasing chubbies into a bathroom.

This.
Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member
*****

Karma: 12187
Offline Offline

Posts: 22,058



« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 11:09 »

Quote
Maybe he can get it down to 0 if he agrees to an ankle alcohol monitor and home arrest.

Whatever it takes.

Kind of agree with Otis that this may not be the best tactic to take.  It makes all of Ben's efforts appear very superficial (which they may well be) and might give a whiff of a lack of integrity.

At the same time, after looking at what the rest of the people in this league are doing, Ben's actions don't seem nearly as bad as they initially did 6 months ago.  Guys who commit murder, do drugs, slap people around, etc. are getting slap on the wrist penalties at worst.  Rookies are making porn tapes.  I am glad that Ben is being held accountable and that he has apparently "sobered up" a bit, but three games sounds about right at this point.

Still, don't think he'll get any lower than 4.

I agree, but... Ben's "people" can ask for the 3, while Ben sticks to the "I've been a good boy and I'll go with whatever Roger the Nazi says" party line.
Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member
****

Karma: 1580
Offline Offline

Posts: 685



« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 11:17 »

might as well ask, you don't win if you don't play.

Logged

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member
****

Karma: 2069
Offline Offline

Posts: 749



« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2010 at 07:53 »

Terry Bradshaw can't keep his mouth shut, says Ben deserves to serve out the full 6-game suspension. I respect Terry but his day in the sun as Pittsburgh's QB is long over so he needs to just shut up.
Logged

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
| Sitemap
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!