Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 03:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: League-wide cuts  (Read 576 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Sep 05, 2010 at 00:08 »

Quite a few interesting names floating around after the Turk made his final rounds.

For Ss&Gs, I thought I'd list some names that caught my eye.

Arizona
Herman Johnson (OT)
Justin Miller (CB)

Buffalo
Kirk Chambers (OT)
James Hardy (WR)

Carolina
Tank Tyler (DT)
Rob Petitti

Chicago
Josh Beekman (OC/OG)

Detroit
Jon Jansen (OT)

Green Bay
Kregg Lumpkin (RB)
Cyril Obiozor (LB)

Indianapolis
Adam Terry (OT)

Miami
Andrew Hartline (OG)

New York Giants
Rhett Bomar (QB)

Philadelphia
Quintin Demps (S)
Max Jean-Gilles (OG)

San Diego
Nathan Vasher (CB)

Seattle
TJ WhosYourMamma (WR)
Joe Toledo (OT)

Tennessee
Samkon Gado (RB)

Washington
Chad Rinehart (OG)
Terrence Austin (WR)

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2010 at 01:02 »

Hmmmm.  Vasher?  Houshmazadeh?  Interesting. 

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2010 at 22:43 »

Lots of OL names there...but I guess we're still "passionate" about our Tony Hills-type draft picks.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2010 at 09:13 »

Max Jean-Gilles is back w/ Iggles.

Lots of OL there because they suck.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2010 at 09:05 »

I dunno.  Seems like there are an awful lot of players there who could step in the short term and help today.  

Jon Jansen could lose a leg, have prosthetic surgery and still be better than Flozell.

As much as I don't particularly care for him, Douchemanzaddah would've definitely bolstered the WR corps.  He SINGED with Balty for something like 800k, none of which I believe is guaranteed.

Tank Tyler looked impressive to me in the Steeler/Panther game.  Saw him be pretty disruptive in the parts I saw of one of their other preseason games too.  His name was constantly being called.

Edit:  Also forgot to mention that a guy like Beekman has as much if not more upside than a guy like Legursky.  Still young, has started and played pretty well in that role.  Can play any interior position.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010 at 09:10 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2010 at 09:43 »

As much as I don't particularly care for him, Douchemanzaddah would've definitely bolstered the WR corps.  He SINGED with Balty for something like 800k, none of which I believe is guaranteed.

That's prolly the vet min.  He probably would have signed for nuttin since Seattle owes him something like 16 million.

As much as I hate that dude, he is/was a good receiver.  With ARE and Ward, I don't think we really need him this year.  We have the aging and contributing vet WR's already accounted for.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2010 at 11:05 »

I'm wary of signing players when they're at a position of extreme need and still get cut.  Beekman gets cut by the Bears?  Uh oh.  Houshmandzadeh gets cut by the Seahawks?  Double yikes.

Housh is coming off a sports hernia and IIRC hasn't really practiced through camp.  Wouldn't surprise me if he starts on the PUP.  The purpose of having vet depth would be negated if he's a guy we're hoping will basically arrive in 2011: by then we'll hopefully have a more seasoned corps of young wideouts with Wallace, Sanders, and Brown.  Put it another way.  Seahawks have these guys as their entire WR group:  Deon Butler, Fatass Mike Williams (the USC flop), Ben Obomanu (who?), Isiah Stanback (QB/WR castoff from Cowgirls), Golden Tate, and Deion Branch.  That's one over-the-hill vet who's averaged in the mid-400 yards per the last couple (Branch), two decent looking young guys (Branch and Tate), and a bunch of shit I wouldn't bother pissing on if they were on fire.  And yet the Seahawks cut Housh.  That's more than Pete Carroll's new regimer assery, that's a blaring warning that Housh may be done.

Speaking of done, Flozell may be in his last year in the league, but Jansen is done.  Detroit's working young talent into the OT spot (Gosder Cherilus, Jason Fox) to go with vet talent (Backus), but their OL hasn't been stalwart.  One would think that if Jansen had anything in the tank and wasn't chewing a mile of cap room, he'd be back.  2004: a ruptured Achilles; 2007: missed 15/16 after breaking his ankle.  Time has not been kind.  Flo's had some time missed to garden variety shit, but nothing as bad as JJ's.

Beekman couldn't crack a shit Bears OL, likely a size issue.  Nice collegiate player, looks a bit small here.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: