Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 20, 2014 at 15:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers Sign Eight to Practice Squad  (Read 686 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2010 at 10:44 »

Woods looks the part of a NT, and was considered by some teams to be a possible NT, but I don't see it, at least not in the 3-4.  Really, seems like a better fit as a UT in the 403, which didn't wash in Nola.  I've said before: you want a 3-4 NT, make sure he clears 30 reps at 225#, 35+ preferably.  Hampton, Ngata, Wilfork, et al. bear this out.  Woods hit 23 reps at his LSU pro day (DNL at the combine).  Some reports that he got pushed at the POA don't seem to bode well for a NT who's going to get doubled and needs to stand firm against the rush.

As a DE, he's a bit heftier than Smith and Keisel, who weigh in under 300#, but he's about the same size as Nick Eason, so that's what I see as Woods's upside: if he gets stronger, maybe he replaces Eason as our DE4.  Whoopeeee.

Nice speed in the 50 (4.98) in the 40-yard dash, very long arms (36"), and a KEI of 69 all spark possible statboy interest, but the fact is he needs to get stronger, and recent LSU DLs have been pretty much collegiate beasts, NFL busts.  In fact, LSU grads to the big have shat the bed more often than not.

I'd have tried to get Jarron Gilbert: freakish athlete, needed coached up and lots of patience, which the Bears didn't have.  Jets smartly picked him up and my guess is that Rex Ryan turns him into something pretty good in about 2 years.

Wish they would have kept Worthington on the PS even with Woods.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: