Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 04:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best part of Game 1?  (Read 1653 times)
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Sep 12, 2010 at 16:39 »

when Tomlin called that time out right before Matt Bryant kicked the field goal at the end of the first half. You could see the "I'm going to fuck with these guys" gleam in his eyes when he did it! oh, and the game-winning TD wasn't too shabbyy, either.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2010 at 17:48 »

Sorry Va,

I'm going with the walk off TD run by Mendy.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2010 at 22:31 »

There never has been, nor will there ever be a timeout called as cool as that one by Tomlin.

The correct answer, of course is Mendy's run.  Runner-up being Troy's pick.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 00:20 »

Troy's pick was great, but Ryan had been telegraphing that all day.  You can only throw so many 15 yard outs before one gets undercut.

Mendy's run was awesome and timely, and well blocked.

But my favorite was Ward's circus catch on the overthrown ball.  Classic case of veteran going all out to make a play.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 06:38 »

A somewhat irrelevant question about that FG at the end of the half:

Did Atlanta seem to get some extra time added on the clock in order to have time to kick that FG?

I was watching at a restaurant and didn't have audio.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 07:51 »

Troy's pick was great, but Ryan had been telegraphing that all day.  You can only throw so many 15 yard outs before one gets undercut.

Mendy's run was awesome and timely, and well blocked.

But my favorite was Ward's circus catch on the overthrown ball.  Classic case of veteran going all out to make a play.

That catch was f'ing clutch.  I thought for sure they were going to challenge that play, until they showed the replay.  M-O-N-E-Y   Ward is just unbelievably awesome.

Looks like Heat was back to his normal self catching everything thrown at him.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 07:53 »

A somewhat irrelevant question about that FG at the end of the half:

Did Atlanta seem to get some extra time added on the clock in order to have time to kick that FG?

I was watching at a restaurant and didn't have audio.

It seemed like the clock kept getting reset towards the end of the half.  Not sure if it was Fox's error or they were following the scoreboard.  It was only a second or two though, so they would have had time to kick anyway.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 08:56 »

Ryan was throwing the 15 yard out consistently all day, but it seemed that you never knew which play it was going to come on: jump now, miss and show your hand? Or jump the next, and they throw it now and you're screwed.

Anyway, once OT started I said to Mrs. that they were going to start throwing that out consistently to have the WR stop the clock.  So if a fucking rube like me knew the out was coming right off the bat, you know 43 was licking his chops.   The sweet thing is how much much yardage Troy covered, given how fast Matt was getting the ball out there.  Dude has rockets in the cleats.

Did the Mendy run remind anyone of FWP in XL? 

Fave moments:

1. The Mendy run.
2. Tomlin's general animation.  He can run a tad stoic, but there was plenty of helmet-slapping.  Best one was, IIRC, Hines comes off after the nice catch and gives Tomlin a playful head-slap, and Tomlin wails him with a huge grin. 
3. After the Mendy run, all the guys are celebrating.  Best move: Harrison jumping on Mendy's back like he's riding a horse, even though he slid back off.  Hee-larious.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 09:31 »

Some screen shots of the blocking on Mendy's run.  Watched it a couple of times after it happened (after I stopped hooting and doing a Chuck Berry duck walk), and commented that David Johnson and Hines Ward did a nice job of blocking.  Really, the whole OL did a great job, and Miller took Biermann out clean, but Johnson got a two-for-one that really sealed the deal, obliterating the CB Grimes by smearing him out with LB Peterson.

Hopefully a harbinger of things to come.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 09:53 »

That was a thing of beauty.  The Hotel even blocked another guy on the second level.  And it sure helped that Mendy read that correctly although I guess there wasn't much reading to do.  But at least he didn't spin and try to bust it outside.

On the radio Hilgrove said he fumbled the  ball on the sideline and I almost shat my pants.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: