Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 04:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Wondering  (Read 907 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Oct 03, 2010 at 16:03 »

When we were punting it out of the back of the end zone, I told the fam that they should let Sepulveda run around, burn some clock, and take the safety.

It's a risk, because then Balty can win with 3.  But I figured they would start with worse field position and less time, giving us better odds.

Turns out that would have been the right decision, but hindsight is always 20/20.  Any thoughts on the possibility of taking the safety as opposed to punting?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2010 at 16:11 »

Here's a thought; that whole series of plays sucked and could have been played a hell of a lot better.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Kwalla
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2010 at 17:30 »

Can someone here put up the countdown to the draft?  The season is pretty much over.  Ben comes back next game and we'll probably end up 8 and 8 if we are lucky.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2010 at 18:07 »

Can someone here put up the countdown to the draft?  The season is pretty much over.  Ben comes back next game and we'll probably end up 8 and 8 if we are lucky.

Hoping this is sarcasm.

Insert Quote
Here's a thought; that whole series of plays sucked and could have been played a hell of a lot better.

Wow, thanks for the constructive discussion VB!  (Yes, that WAS sarcasm, only in a joking tone)

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2010 at 18:55 »

I was calling for a pass on 3rd down.  Was thinking about safety, but then they could win w FG.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2010 at 09:03 »

Maybe if Gardocki was still doing the punting, I woulda seriously considered it.

With the big legged punter, you figure the team is gonna get halfway decent field position.  Considering he was booting it from the back of the endzone, I think ending up with the opposition starting around midfield ain't too bad.  The penalty is what really hurt the most.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2010 at 09:50 »

Maybe if Gardocki was still doing the punting, I woulda seriously considered it.

With the big legged punter, you figure the team is gonna get halfway decent field position.  Considering he was booting it from the back of the endzone, I think ending up with the opposition starting around midfield ain't too bad.  The penalty is what really hurt the most.

Though to be fair, McFadden would have been torched for a TD on that last play whether they were 18 yards out (as they were) or 90 yards out.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

BleedGreen710

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2010 at 09:58 »

To be fair, the defensive play calling was hideous on Baltimore's game winning possession.  It's not a coincidence that Tennessee moved the ball on us in our prevent, rush 3 defense.  Then yesterday, Baltimore did the same exact thing.  Until we decided to try something a little more elaborate on the touchdown...  (Good coverage B-Mac)  That may have been the easiest game winning touchdown drive in the history of pro football...

And preacher, I thought about taking the safety too but then thought better of it when I realized a field goal wins it then... but regardless, we could have taken a safety, kicked the free kick to the 5, and they still would have gone down the field uncontested the way we called our defensive plays...  I'll never understand that mentality.  Allowing nothing offensively just about all day, and then when it matters most, changing your game plan...  Dumb.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2010 at 12:12 »

Factor into the equation that weak-legged Billy Cundiff is their kicker.  If you can run an extra, say 7 seconds off the clock and take the safety, they'll get the ball back with about 40 to play around their 40 needing to get to our 25 for anything like a legit shot at a FG.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
BleedGreen710

« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2010 at 12:14 »

Not too mention, the game winning FG would have been into the open end of the stadium, right?

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: