Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 25, 2014 at 10:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late scoring D issue?  (Read 484 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« on: Oct 13, 2010 at 00:44 »

During Ravoons broadcast a stat caught my ear that 25 of the 40 points we had given up were in the last 2 minutes of half and game.  Went and checked, it was really 18 - but now have given up 28 of 50 points in 2 minute situations.  Garbage time can be argued, but really only Tampa TD would fit that category...Tits TD and 2 pt conversion brought them to within one score, unlikely as that score may have been.

So in 224 mins of regulation, +OT- 22 points or less than 0.1 points per minute.

16 minutes of 2 minute situations - 28 points, or 1.75 points per minute.  Also have given up points in 5 of 8 2 minute periods.

Concerning or not?
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 08:32 »

It concerns me.  Seems like these are times when LeBeau gets very conservative, are they always in a prevent defense?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 08:57 »

I hate it too. There is a place for the prevent defense, but it is when you are up big, on defense, and trying to make the offense take time on the clock while trying to score. That means that you protect the sidelines so that all tackles happen in front of you and in the field of play to keep the clock running.

The Steeler's prevent seems to be used when they're up by just a few points and they seem content to give up the 10-15 yard outs that only take 5-10 seconds and stop the clock when they catch it and run out of bounds. I'm not a HOF NFL player/coach, but IMO there's no place in the game for that defense. It doesn't run down the clock, it doesn't stop the other team from scoring, and it doesn't protect the lead.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 09:08 »

What kman said.  And I will add (again) that I'd rather have 43 prowl for a pick than get stuffed on the blitz.  If we know they're throwing outs, let Troy take some jumps at them.  Better shot of closing the game than him going up against someone +100# one on one.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 21:25 »

I hate it too. There is a place for the prevent defense, but it is when you are up big, on defense, and trying to make the offense take time on the clock while trying to score. That means that you protect the sidelines so that all tackles happen in front of you and in the field of play to keep the clock running.

I could also see it in a situation where you are up 4 or so, but it's like 31-27 or something where the opponent has been moving the ball and scoring on your normal defensive scheme.  Maybe then you try the bend but don't break style.

But when you've completely stifled them the entire game?  Why change?  Make them prove they can beat you.  if they break one, then so be it.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2010 at 17:42 »

One could argue that we SHOULD have used a prevent defense in the Ratties game.  Instead the blitzed failed and Flacc threw the easiest TD of his life.

Bottom line: No need to get cute at the end of games.  Blitz Woodley and Harrison and keep Polamalu in the secondary where he can do the most damage.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: