Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 00:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions?  (Read 592 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Oct 04, 2010 at 15:46 »

IMO, violent, but borderline defenseless receiver.

TJ WARD IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2010 at 17:29 »

Much as I hate the pussification of the NFL, Ward was clearly going head to head.  You can make a violent hit and aim it lower, dude.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2010 at 18:23 »

I'd say he was leading with the shoulder, but got maybe a little high. I don't think you could turf a guy like that with only head-to-head contact.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2010 at 20:36 »

Yeah, that was a shoulder and a defenseless WR, pretty damn violent.  That Jordan Shipley should be a pretty good WR.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2010 at 10:05 »

It's hard to tell in full-speed, but the replay gives you a pretty good idea of whether it looks like there was an intent to hurt someone.  Looks like Ward meant to put a hurtin' on Shipley, even though he really did not lead with his head.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2010 at 10:32 »

That should have been a penalty. There was one in the Miami/NY Jets game two weeks ago that I just could not believe a flag was thrown on. Can't find a video of it, it ended up being helmet to helmet, but the receiver came down on the defender, and the DB put his hands up to whoa him down. Sad.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2010 at 10:48 »

As I mentioned on another board, initially I thought it was an illegal shot too, but after watching it a coupla more times, I'm not so sure it deserves to be labeled that way.

He turned his head and led with the shoulder.  He didn't lead with his crown/helmet.  Defenseless receiver? Maybe.  Bang, bang play though.  A safety's job is to dislodge the ball from the receiver.  Awfully hard to pull up in that split second when the receiver drops the rock.  It's the kind of play you want to see from your safety.  You want that WR hearing footsteps so he alligator arms the next one over the middle.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2010 at 11:16 »

Looks like Ward meant to put a hurtin' on Shipley, even though he really did not lead with his head.

Every time you hit someone, you should be trying to put the hurt on him. That's why they wear pads.

I've told the young lad many times this season...coach will not get made at you for hitting too hard. He might, if you don't hit hard enough. You can be the bowling ball or you can be the pin.  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: