Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 18, 2014 at 02:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MIN @ NYJ and The Worse Announce Crew (Possibly Ever)  (Read 1050 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Oct 12, 2010 at 11:18 »

So, I'm watching the game while ripping CDs and playing Tower Madness and look up to see The Favruh toss a rainbow that drops into Randy Moss's arms over his shoulder, pretty as you please.  Hit him in stride, Moss simply stuck his arms out and the ball landed right in 'em.  Mike Turico insisted on describing the play as a jump ball.  That Favre tossed it out there and Moss went up and got it over the defender.  WTF!?  His description was accurate only in that Favre threw the ball and Moss caught it.  It was not a jump ball, it wasn't close to being a jump ball so why did he insist on describing it as such?

But that got me to thinking that Jaws, Chucky and Tirico might be the worse 3-man booth I've ever heard.  Worse than the Kornheiser debacle.  You know, I can take a little Jaws and Chucky doesn't really piss me off.  But you have to have a good play-by-play man.  It is imperative.  A good play-by-play man can cover a host of ills spoken by the analysts.  But no booth can recover from a bad play-by-play man and certainly not one that employs the QB-loving, self-referencing Jaws and the I-love-everyone-playing-here-tonight-they're-all-the-best Chucky.

It wasn't a damn jump ball.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 11:31 »

Not to mention Jaws still worshipping Favre after the last drive when he missed a wide open receiver, threw the game ending pick and finished with a statline of 14-35 and 3 picks or whatever. Favre is toast, and so are the Vikings.

The good news is even though they are loaded with talent, I still think the Jets make to many dumb decisions, from coaching to the players, to beat the Steelers or the Ravens.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 11:45 »

Was gonna turn in early, but had the game on low w/ the Mrs. asleep next to me, so thankfully I missed a lot of the announcers' shite.  Jump ball, FFS, that was a perfect throw against pretty damned good coverage.

Forget what comment Chucky had that made me wonder how many drinks he has before the game.  It was just inane. 

I don't think Favre or the Vikes are done.  Favre will always be Favre, a tale of 2 QBs, and last night was perfect proof of that.  But if he can mend some dings, I think you saw a game that could be symbolic of the Vikings' season: solid D throughout, early offensive struggles, then an offensive explosion, with of course everything on the line and ending with a stupid pick.  He has Moss and Harvin, and suddenly losing Rice ain't the big deal.  I think GB's injuries are a much bigger issue than any shit Favre's going through (you know Goodell will never slap him with a 6 game, or 4 game, suspension).  And the Bears have a good D and Forte running well, but Lovie's a dullard and Martz remains a douche.  Their season: they have to hope Cutler comes back soon.  Uck. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 12:54 »

Not to mention Jaws still worshipping Favre after the last drive when he missed a wide open receiver, threw the game ending pick and finished with a statline of 14-35 and 3 picks or whatever. Favre is toast, and so are the Vikings.

The good news is even though they are loaded with talent, I still think the Jets make to many dumb decisions, from coaching to the players, to beat the Steelers or the Ravens.

Oh man, I had no idea his line was that bad!  That's almost Collinesque.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 13:05 »

Oh man, I had no idea his line was that bad!  That's almost Collinesque.

The first half was simply brutal, and that's coming from someone who likes to watch good defenses do their thing.  But the official line was 14-34-264-3-1, so 3 TDs and 1 INT.  Respectable enough 85.9 rating.  First half breakout: 3 of 7 for 31 yards.  Comes out to a 1H passer rating of 56.25, and a 2H rating of 120.45.  As mentioned, that's Favre, a tale of 2 QBs, often in the same game. 

give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 13:09 »

I absolutely hate when play-by-play guys try to act like experts.  Tirico is always guilty of this and Al Michaels has started to do it the last couple of seasons as well.  Tirico's freakout over the Jets clock management yesterday was embarrassing (although he was right), especially when you toss in the fact he and his crew spent the evening glossing over Favre's idiotic mistakes. You dipshits aren't paid for your opinions, shut up and call the game.  Both of those guys also look for controversy on every single play, whether it's a missed flag or a bobbled catch.  It drives me fucking nuts.

I know ESPN is normally the Worldwide Favre Apologists Leader, but last night was sickening.  After the pick-6, Gruden and Jaws spent the remainder of that last pointless Vikings drive saying what a great competitor Favre is, and how he never gives up.  Also, the comparison of him playing during this cock-pic scandal to his game after his dad died is downright offensive.

One last gripe about this terrible announcing crew.  Did anyone else notice Gruden's excessive use of the "how nice is it to have player x on your team to close out games?"  I heard him say it about Tomlinson, Stonio, Moss and Shaun Ellis and I'm sure I missed a few.  Between that phrase and his stupid "THIS GUY" stuff and "he's just a football player", I can't understand how he has a job.  I feel like I'm playing a game of Madden with him announcing as he just regurgitates the exact same phrases over and over again except with a different player name.

And don't even get me started on Jaws...

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 13:59 »

Agree with you, GETB.  Maybe that "this guy" shit was part of the Chucky annoyance I heard last night.  And I used to like Al Michaels on MNF, but nowadays less so. 

Announce the game, let the analysts analyze on their own time, right?  I mean, a certain amount of in-game analysis is fine, but the point is to call the game.  So call the game.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 16:38 »

DARN DEERDORF IS THE BEST ENOUNCIATOR TOADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 23:07 »

And I used to like Al Michaels on MNF, but nowadays less so. 

The longer he works with Collinswart, the worse he gets.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 01:17 »

Finally figured out who Collinsworth reminds me of....

And don't EVEN pretend the fucker don't look just like him!

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: