Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 16:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL Live  (Read 295 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Oct 21, 2010 at 15:16 »

Anyone see the video that was sent to the teams? You can't hit a guy that's about to make a catch (unless you're Ray Lewis) but you can blindside a punter, even though the ball carrier is already past him on the field.

The NFL is looking goofier by the minute.

Don't rock a sleeping baby, Rog.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 15:23 »

Ya can't fix it if it ain't broke, Rog.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 17:08 »

At first I thought it was kinda bogus too, but after watching it a few times, I think I see what he's getting at.  Still think it's gonna be tough to police/enforce tho.

Essentially, shots at defenseless players are OK as long as you keep them from the shoulders down, don't come into contact with the head and don't lead with your head when initiating contact.  OK.  Fine.  If it's a ballcarrier, it's pretty much open season on your ass.

What makes it difficult is placing the burden on the defensive player to make contact in the areas described regardless of what the receivers do.  If the receiver stays low, ducks or is going to the ground (kinda like what Massoquoi did), it'll be virtually impossible to hit the guy without it being "illegal" as some part of the defenders body will inevitably come into contact with the receivers head. 

Side note, this change might be Finny's last chance to finally break into the league.  All head shots are illegal so just throw a helmet on him and let him waddle downfield after making a catch.  No one will be allowed to touch him.

So anyway, what's a defender supposed to do?  Dive at his knees/ankles to stop the receiver?  Hope the receiver trips over him?  Can't wait for the first nasty blown out knee hit so they can legislate that too...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2010 at 08:49 »

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d81b80962/Player-safety
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: