Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 18:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friggin' worthless opinions--Clowns, round 1  (Read 315 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Oct 18, 2010 at 09:10 »

10.  Let me start of with--gulp, cough--COMPLIMENTING the Cleveland Browns.  I thought they actually played a pretty good game yesterday, including Colt "I changed my name to play at Texas" McCoy.  Hillis is pretty decent, oline was fairly solid, and the defense acquitted themselves pretty well.  McCoy never threw the massive "oh no!" INT.  The Browns might--MIGHT--have something to look forward to.  BTW, Jake Delhomo needs to be cut right now.

9.  On the Stillers side of the ball, I thought our defensive effort was pretty uninspired.  It's not like they played bad, but it's almost as if they took a "ho-hum" attitude towards the Browns.  One thing that bothered me was the effort to disguise blitzes.  Sometimes I wish we'd work a little harder to disguise COVERAGE.

8.  I still do not like blitzing Troy in obvious passing downs, especially against a rookie QB.  Nothing is going to scare a QB more than having the Tazmanian Devil whirl in out of nowhere on a pass where he thought someone was wide open.

7.  The real hope is that Keisel is not badly hurt; however, Nick Eason may be the most improved player over the course of two seasons that I can remember.  As a backup DL, he is more than adequate.

6.  I am pretty sure that the Browns did not draw a single holding penalty yesterday.  Not one.  That is laughable.  The only way that is going to end for James Harrison is to find a way to rush him from different places/locations on the field so that the OT can't just grab him and hang on for dear life.

5.  Speaking of exciting defenders, Lawrence Timmons may be turning into one of the most exciting in the league.  He still makes some bone-head plays (a la the Cleveland touchdown), but he is so fast and hits hard and he is really fun to watch.  I loved it when he came in and just ran through Colt McCoy.

4.  Let's talk about two exciting players on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball.  Did anyone expect the kind of performance that we're seeing out of Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman?  Better yet, did we expect BA to actually USE both of them?  That is a serious 1-2 punch, and Redman seems to be improving as a blocker.
     I was absolutely thrilled to see that we ran the ball 35 times.

3.  I was trying to remember some guy that we let go over the summer.  I think he was a wide receiver?  Maybe number 10?  No really, it wasn't Kordell.  But as I was trying to remember his name, I was watching Mike Wallace blow by defenders to catch another bomb.  Just can't remember that guy's name...oh well.

2.  The biggest difference in our offensive line was demonstrated from the goal line yesterday.  In '08 or '09, they would have been pushed backwards and Willie Parker would have stumbled over one of them.  This year, everyone up front and in the backfield is driving forward, with authority.
     I loved Legursky in the backfield on the goal line as well.  He took off like a rocket on the snap!  Perhaps he should get a little more time back there.

1.  Big Ben.  Ah, Big Ben!  Yes, he was off-target at times, sailed the ball a little, and looked very "preseason-ish" as expected.  But the rust wore off as the game wore on.  The play-action looked incredible.  The long passes to Wallace, both when getting drilled, were fantastic.  It just looked better and better. 
     The Steelers don't have a lot of time for Ben to work out the kinks.  He's got to keep knocking off that rust very quickly, and get ready to run that no-huddle again.

BONUS:  I thought everyone looked a little "cautious" yesterday, as if they were not really sure what to expect with Ben back in the saddle.  Looked a little like preseason for everyone, but the comfort level seem to grow as the game progressed.  Hopefully, by the time we get to Miami (where it all started for Ben), it's going to feel like game 6 for everyone. 

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2010 at 10:22 »

10.  Let me start of with--gulp, cough--COMPLIMENTING the Cleveland Browns.  I thought they actually played a pretty good game yesterday, including Colt "I changed my name to play at Texas" McCoy.  Hillis is pretty decent, oline was fairly solid, and the defense acquitted themselves pretty well.  McCoy never threw the massive "oh no!" INT.  The Browns might--MIGHT--have something to look forward to.  BTW, Jake Delhomo needs to be cut right now.
9.  On the Stillers side of the ball, I thought our defensive effort was pretty uninspired.  It's not like they played bad, but it's almost as if they took a "ho-hum" attitude towards the Browns.  One thing that bothered me was the effort to disguise blitzes.  Sometimes I wish we'd work a little harder to disguise COVERAGE.

8.  I still do not like blitzing Troy in obvious passing downs, especially against a rookie QB.  Nothing is going to scare a QB more than having the Tazmanian Devil whirl in out of nowhere on a pass where he thought someone was wide open.

7.  The real hope is that Keisel is not badly hurt; however, Nick Eason may be the most improved player over the course of two seasons that I can remember.  As a backup DL, he is more than adequate.
6.  I am pretty sure that the Browns did not draw a single holding penalty yesterday.  Not one.  That is laughable.  The only way that is going to end for James Harrison is to find a way to rush him from different places/locations on the field so that the OT can't just grab him and hang on for dear life.

5.  Speaking of exciting defenders, Lawrence Timmons may be turning into one of the most exciting in the league.  He still makes some bone-head plays (a la the Cleveland touchdown), but he is so fast and hits hard and he is really fun to watch.  I loved it when he came in and just ran through Colt McCoy.
4.  Let's talk about two exciting players on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball.  Did anyone expect the kind of performance that we're seeing out of Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman?  Better yet, did we expect BA to actually USE both of them?  That is a serious 1-2 punch, and Redman seems to be improving as a blocker.
     I was absolutely thrilled to see that we ran the ball 35 times.
3.  I was trying to remember some guy that we let go over the summer.  I think he was a wide receiver?  Maybe number 10?  No really, it wasn't Kordell.  But as I was trying to remember his name, I was watching Mike Wallace blow by defenders to catch another bomb.  Just can't remember that guy's name...oh well.

2.  The biggest difference in our offensive line was demonstrated from the goal line yesterday.  In '08 or '09, they would have been pushed backwards and Willie Parker would have stumbled over one of them.  This year, everyone up front and in the backfield is driving forward, with authority. I loved Legursky in the backfield on the goal line as well.  He took off like a rocket on the snap!  Perhaps he should get a little more time back there.

1.  Big Ben.  Ah, Big Ben!  Yes, he was off-target at times, sailed the ball a little, and looked very "preseason-ish" as expected.  But the rust wore off as the game wore on.  The play-action looked incredible.  The long passes to Wallace, both when getting drilled, were fantastic.  It just looked better and better.  
     The Steelers don't have a lot of time for Ben to work out the kinks.  He's got to keep knocking off that rust very quickly, and get ready to run that no-huddle again.

BONUS:  I thought everyone looked a little "cautious" yesterday, as if they were not really sure what to expect with Ben back in the saddle.  Looked a little like preseason for everyone, but the comfort level seem to grow as the game progressed.  Hopefully, by the time we get to Miami (where it all started for Ben), it's going to feel like game 6 for everyone.  

Great ovation from the crowd for BBR.  Loved that!

10.Yeah Colt may be the real deal.  He was very accurate yesterday.  He just needs to realize that he must keep his eyes downfield while running and look for the receiver.  Not sure who did the game but I have to give them credit on that one.

9.I agree.  I thought we wold have more jail break blitzes to confuse and rattle the rookie.

8.Did anyone see Troy actually make a difference when he did blitz, oh wait yeah he was offside on a play where I think we got a sack.

7.I have been saying that about Eason since last season.  He is not spectacular, just solid.

6.He is held every other play IMHWFO. BTW where was Woodley the last 2 games?

5.Timmons better make the Pro Bowl this year.  He is a beast.  Correct his mental mistakes and he is the next Silverback.

4. I guarantee we will not lose another game this year if we run the ball 35 times a game.

3. Roy Gerela or was it Byron "Whizzer" White

2. Again good point.  Redman is getting it done. He is becoming a great blocker. 

1. I expected at least one pick.  Nothing can simulate game speed.  I though all in all he looked great. More snaps will knock off more rust over time.

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2010 at 10:30 by Brinker » Logged

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: