Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 22, 2014 at 16:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got lucky as hell this week  (Read 431 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« on: Oct 25, 2010 at 18:54 »

D was stout early holding Fins to FGs.  O was great at times, maddening at others.  That last fumble - I'm surprised that even though they called touchdown they didn't go ahead and figure out who had the ball before they went to replay.  Thay had to know there was a challenge coming.

Why the hell not either go for long FG or chuck it up at end of half?

D rose up when they had to in last 2 mins - that was good to see.

You need to pick up a couple wins like this along the way.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2010 at 23:06 »

That last fumble - I'm surprised that even though they called touchdown they didn't go ahead and figure out who had the ball before they went to replay.  Thay had to know there was a challenge coming.

They couldn't do that even if they knew it was going to be challenged.  Once the whistle blew after the TD was signaled, the play was considered over. 

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2010 at 08:08 »

Why the hell not either go for long FG or chuck it up at end of half?

Because we never do.  It's something in our DNA.  Cowher never took that shot, and neither does Tomlin. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2010 at 09:24 »

Cowher never took that shot, and neither does Tomlin.

Tomlin did comment that it was a mistake not to let Reed go for the FG.

The fact that we even ran a QB draw out of the shotgun on 3rd and goal at the 1 was infuriating to me.  Typical Arians, but still infuriating.  Line up and run Redman.  If he doesn't get there, keep the clock running, and kick the FG.

Redman is a beast, give him a shot to punch it in the EZ.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2010 at 17:05 »

They couldn't do that even if they knew it was going to be challenged.  Once the whistle blew after the TD was signaled, the play was considered over.

Yeah, I had heard that.  But seems to be different in the field of play.  On a pileup on a fumble on the field, don't they blow the whistle then sort it out?  Could have done same thing just in case.  It's not like anyone in the pile heard or stopped because of the whistle.

But hey, worked out good for us.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2010 at 09:33 »

Yeah, I had heard that.  But seems to be different in the field of play.  On a pileup on a fumble on the field, don't they blow the whistle then sort it out?  Could have done same thing just in case.  It's not like anyone in the pile heard or stopped because of the whistle.

But hey, worked out good for us.

I think the difference is that the whistle in your case happens after the fumble and players continue to fight for the ball. In the case of the play in the Miami game, the whistle blew to call the play a TD (meaning the players didn't have to fight for the ball because the ref already called a touchdown).

It is similar to the situation if the QB throws a pass that is intercepted and is going to be run back for a TD, but the ref blows the whistle and stops the play because he thought that the ball hit the ground first. All the players stop trying to tackle the defender as he runs down the field (like they do after every obvious forward pass that looks like a fumble) for the TD. If the replays show that it actually was an interception, where would you award the ball. Is it a TD since the player ran it in (even though no one tried to tackle him), do they just get it at the location of the pick (even though he returned it some), or since the play was dead, does the offense keep the ball? I believe that this kind of play actually cannot be reviewed for that reason.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: