Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 14:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrison the Beast  (Read 3662 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 08:05 »

I have ZERO problem with James Harrison's intent, the two disputed hits, how he plays the game, or his general surly attitude.

My position is, if you don't like how James Harrison plays the game, watch fucking women's skating or something that won't offend your sensibilities, because James IS football.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #41 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 09:23 »

I've been having a discussion about this hit all day with my sister's boyfriend, (who is a Browns fan.)  My point to him is that Harrison is generously listed at 6'0" and Massaquoi at 6'2".  If Massaquoi is standing straight up, and not trying to protect himself (which would be dumb), Harrison is hitting him directly in the chest, aka "the strike zone." 

When I showed him this picture, I asked where is he supposed to hit him?  He said Harrison needs to get lower.  I asked what happens when Harrison blows Massaquoi's knee out with that hit?  He hasn't responded yet. 

My point is, cornerback's hit low.  Linebackers, especially ones of James Harrison's ilk, lower the boom.  I honestly, and sincerely can not for the life of me figure out what Harrison is supposed to do in this situation.  I don't have a desire to see people laying lifeless on the turf, but it is a part of the game...  Ask Mark Schlereth.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5706315 Small | Large

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
BleedGreen710

« Reply #42 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 09:43 »

Kwalla, this is absolutely meant with no disrespect... But Harrison's words are probably 99% of NFL and college players thoughts.  You think a guy like Jerome Bettis lowered his head and shoulders into potential tacklers to make them feel good?  He did it so the next time he had the ball, that defender thinks twice about getting in on the play, or tries to arm tackle him.  The difference was that Bettis had a filter in his brain that wouldn't allow him to tell people his goal was to hurt them.  Their goals were the same...  Harrison's words, without knowing him personally, are said to gain a mental advantage over his opponents.  He just doesn't give a shit about what people will say about him afterwards.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #43 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 09:55 »

Stink speaks the truth.

Anyone see Mike Pereira on PTI? The arrogance of the NFL was on display. He basically said people can complain, but they'll still watch. Sure...up to a point. Eventually, they'll kill the Golden Goose and only have themselves to blame.

Look at the NHL and NBA. In the NBA, the officials have more impact on the final outcome than the players. And the NHL now looks like soccer on ice, with a heavy does of euro-flopping. They've both jumped the shark.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 09:59 »

And the NHL now looks like soccer on ice, with a heavy does of euro-flopping.

*This opinion formed from watching only Flyers games.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 10:00 »

I know people say things like "I completely agree with what he/she said," but I really, really agree with what Schlereth said in that video.  Completely.  Unequivocally.  He is 100% right on the fuckin' money.

...except for that soccer dig, obv.

He's one of my favorite analysts.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 10:05 »

Stink was fuckin' ON with that.  And I did see the Pereira bit.  Usually like the guy, but he's just toeing the company line.

When the NFL tries to legislate intent, and fines guys who haven't been flagged, and can't seemingly appreciate the fact that hurting a guy in split-second 3-D vector physics ain't the same thing as wanting to cause a person permanent harm, then fuck it.  Let's just take the game 100% (and I do mean 100%) the other way.  Slap tutus on 'em.  Have American Idol-style voting to determine whether players should be fined or suspended.  Just make it flag football.  Screw defense entirely.  Let's just Bradyize the game entirely.

Anyone see after the one pass play versus the Ravens where Brady got hit legitimately (Suggs maybe?) and he's on the ground throwing a fucking cuntfit and slapping the ground and screaming at the offical like a petulant child because he wanted a late hit flag?  Ben takes shots that never get called, but if Brady's locks get rustled he expects the RTP.  

And Otis is right.  They'll kill the Golden Goose yet.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
BleedGreen710

« Reply #47 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 10:08 »

I agree AJ, I watched that video at work and couldn't believe his outrage at first, but then noticed how angry it was making me.  He's definitely a favorite of mine as well.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #48 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 10:15 »

BleedGreen710,

Thanks for posting that. I'd actually caught the last 30 seconds of that on ESPN, but that was all.

Ever notice that the Pro Bowl is the shittiest of the four AS games? What's missing?

Penso,

You like watching 5-3? I don't.
BleedGreen710

« Reply #49 on: Oct 21, 2010 at 10:17 »

You bet...

Ummm, Tunch & Wolfe???

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: